PHP chip in, Got some Q's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

PHP chip in, Got some Q's

I put the chip in today and its cooool but in the 100perfomance my tranny is shifting kinda hard is this normal? its kinda like where did the power go then BAM! it hits(going into second) it spins my 295's when it does..do yall think this is normal? i just dont wanna buy a trans next.

I also have a problem with an oil leak posted in the tech side(got bigger after the chip install). any feedback would be great.

02 F250 cc sb Lariet 4x4.
BTS Transmission installed/tuned by TSD
Autometer Ultralite II Trans,Pyro,Boost.
MBRP 4'' Cool Duals turboback with 5'' tips.
DIY tractionbars with Procomp mounts.
6637/zoodad intake,Drilled/slotted Rotors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Milk Truck

Re: PHP chip in, Got some Q's

Unfortunately, depending on the condition of it, chips and stock trannies don't go that well together. I experienced the same thing with my tranny when I put a chip in it. When I drove normal it was ok. But, when I put the power to it, it would hang in that gear for a second then slam into the next gear. I would chirp going into second. I went with a bts tranny, but that was mainly because of my future plans. You have other options that you can look into to strengthen your tranny without spending a ton of money. There is other members here that have experience with building there trannies up to handle the power better. I am sure they will chime in.

99.5 F250 cclb 4x4...modded, but looks stock
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas7.3psd View Post
I put the chip in today and its cooool but in the 100perfomance my tranny is shifting kinda hard is this normal? its kinda like where did the power go then BAM! it hits(going into second) it spins my 295's when it does..do yall think this is normal? i just dont wanna buy a trans next.

I also have a problem with an oil leak posted in the tech side(got bigger after the chip install). any feedback would be great.
2002's trucks are notorious for hanging 2nd gear and about 98% of the time we can resolve those issues with modified tuning strategies. There are occasions however, where an upgraded valve body might be the ticket to eliminating the remainder of the shifting issues. In any event, a shift that goes "BANG" is NOT good and will ultimately cause further transmission problems. Until this is resolved (either via tuning adjustment or trans modification) I'd strongly recommend not running that particular program.

As for the oil leak? Tough to say. One thing to keep in mind is that all performance programs raise Injection Control Pressure (ICP) anywhere from 200 to 800 PSI. If there are any deficiencies in you High Pressure Oil system, the additional pressure will certainly make them more apparent.

I'd normally recommend pressure washing the engine, but without any knowledge of the condition of the wiring, gaskets or air filter setup, I'd be hesitant to recommend this as we don't want to introduce water into any critical areas. In any event, a good engine cleaning is in order to begin locating the leak, even if it's just the simple green/garden-hose variety. One thing to certainly check for is a leak at the turbo pedestal. They are NOTORIOUS for developing leaks and have been replaced on TSBs for who knows how long.

Hope this helps.

Bill Cohron - (678) 890-1110

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- The Original in Custom Ford PSD & Gas Tuning since 1997

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FOREVER
2001 7.3L - Stage 1's and a Tymar - 399 HP
2004 6.0L - 440 HP #2 Only/482 HP on Boost Juice - 12.961 @ 102.6 MPH

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

well bill i thought you were out of town. I woulda asked you personaly if i woulda known you where available, i apalogize. as for the trans..should i send the chip to you for a tweek for the 2nd gear? or should i just look into a vaulve body or something like that? what does a vaulvebody cost anyway?

Last edited by Thomas7.3psd; 03-31-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: more info
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 PM
PSN Veteran

He is just close to a computer. Even when he IS home, I'm usually the one traipsing through the forums. I let him know when there's something I think he needs to address, or sometimes I just run something past him and ask his opinion -- usually on the technical stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
The reason you can't get any radio stations is so it will be quiet enough in the cab to hear your rods escape.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!

I am out of town, but fortunately the internet is as close as your local Starbucks! Gotta love wireless hot-spots.

We can redo the chip to try to resolve the shift issue, but you might find that a valve body update may be a good option. I recommend calling BTS, John Wood, or Suncoast for advice in that department. If you decide to go that route, we can redo the transmission tuning in the programs so as not to overdo what the transmission is doing mechanically.

Take care.

Bill Cohron - (678) 890-1110

- The Original in Custom Ford PSD & Gas Tuning since 1997

FOREVER
2001 7.3L - Stage 1's and a Tymar - 399 HP
2004 6.0L - 440 HP #2 Only/482 HP on Boost Juice - 12.961 @ 102.6 MPH
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

hey thanks for the info bill. ill test it abit more and get will yall on powerhungry's site.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 AM
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"

don't forget racer x.I have his vb and its a nice step up from stock.

2004 f250 egr delete,studded,fass 95,suncoast convertor,itp RR,Banks intercooler,58v tuned ficm,Powermax turbo,Matts tunes,6in Icon and 35 toyos 20x12 fuels
Early 99 exlb 4wd-SOLD All Shaeffer oil
Will Iott -8/24/84-7/4/10 "We miss you buddy"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

what exsactly does a vavlebody do? i see racerX has them for $210...will this help my tranny last longer?

Last edited by Thomas7.3psd; 04-01-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: i like to edit.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 PM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

FWIW, mine use to slam into gear if I got on it hard and let off right before the shift... I learned to stay on the floor and it shifts smooth as silk... Weird huh? I'm going with a TC and VB asap though...

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode