DP tuner changing settings and trucks reaction - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

DP tuner changing settings and trucks reaction

When I get back from driving my truck anywhere, I turn it to the stock program and let it run for a bit to cool the turbo. When I turn it from economy to stock, the rpm drops and they drop to around 400-500 then back to standard idle. It almost sounds like the truck is going to die.

What could be causing this? I have Auto E. so I can scan the truck as needed. What should I look for?

02 F250 PSD 7.3L
Tymer,Irate T4 mount with S366 Turbo, 5in SP,triple gauge pod w\ Di-Pricol Optix (EGT,Boost,tranny temp)
CCV Mod, In-tank mod, Harpoon mod, Airdog, ITP regulated Return (8LL replaced with AD)
Oilguard Bypass Oil System
Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Fluidampr
ITP boost Annihilator, BTS Trans and T.C.
DP tuner 6 position
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Re: DP tuner changing settings and trucks reaction

Sudden change in ICP, Timing, PW, etc...the programs are very different and it takes a second for the PCM and engine to "jive" again.

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Just A Squirrel

Yeah mine does it too! Subtle but its there

Darrin Struble
2003 F-350XLT Sport SC/SB

7.3L Live tuned by Jody ,ITP reg return/intank prepump mods, MBRP S.S. 4" ,afe stage1,foil delete,WW, Dieselsite coolant/trans filters,turbomaster wastegate controller,FTVB,Bandwagon Badges
1956 f100 Heidts Suspension all around

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Agreed. I have the same thing. I don't even bother setting it to stock. I just cool it down by going slow when I am coming to a stop and coast. By the time I shutdown, I am at 300 deg or so

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Banning Smut

Agreed. I wouldnt sweat it at all.

|
|
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Construction Babysitter

Mine does the same thing. Also, idle will jump when you switch from stock to a higher setting. My truck also idles quieter in stock setting. Is this the same for everyone else?

Dave

99.5 F250 Lariat : 6" lift on 37" Toyo MT's, DP Tunes, Built Transmission, Airbags, AIH Delete, 38R, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, Sinister Regulated Return, IH bellowed up pipes, AFE Stage II, ISSPro Performax gauges, Scan Gauge, Casserly Stage I's, T-500 HPOP, Swamp's IDM
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Who is Obama?

Send a message via AIM to razorscs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooner View Post
Mine does the same thing. Also, idle will jump when you switch from stock to a higher setting. My truck also idles quieter in stock setting. Is this the same for everyone else?
It should Idle and run all louder than stock. Why this is was debated for like all last year. Resolution.... No one has a clue why

SOLD 2002 F350

SOLD2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

NEW 2004 F250 CCSB 4" Lift on 35" Road Venture AT KL78, Matt's tunes, Turbo Back Exhaust, River City 62mm Non-Vgt Turbo.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooner View Post

Ditto and will even die tuning down to stock unless I give it a little pedal. Then idles fine after that. I notice icp fluctuates wieh it does this, fuel pressure stays at 65 or 67 where it is set.

I mentioned it to Jody and he said pretty much the same thing Dennis did. Just takes a moment for everything to get in sync again.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM

There really isn't much of a mystry to why the truck idles louder in a performance tune. ICP and timing are both increased in most, if not all, chips and tuners. Either or both of which will increase noise at idle. You can watch the timing with a scanner or AE. The idle dip is nothing more than was already stated, you made a big change quickly, espcially if you went from the hot program to stock and the ECM needs a bit to catch up.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Who is Obama?

Send a message via AIM to razorscs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69W900A View Post
There really isn't much of a mystry to why the truck idles louder in a performance tune. ICP and timing are both increased in most, if not all, chips and tuners. Either or both of which will increase noise at idle. You can watch the timing with a scanner or AE. The idle dip is nothing more than was already stated, you made a big change quickly, espcially if you went from the hot program to stock and the ECM needs a bit to catch up.
yes the reason it idles louder is known, but why it is louder, sometimes significantly louder, while driving was discussed in numerous threads on TDS earlier this year and no one had a real answer for the so called "injector clatter"

SOLD 2002 F350

SOLD2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

NEW 2004 F250 CCSB 4" Lift on 35" Road Venture AT KL78, Matt's tunes, Turbo Back Exhaust, River City 62mm Non-Vgt Turbo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode