Fuel Pump Upgrade? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fuel Pump Upgrade?

Hi there, this is my first post here so I'll try not to sound like a complete noob. I was recently told that my fuel pump might be on its way out and was wondering if I should replace it with upgraded pump/system or are the stock ones capable enough for the regular mods?
The truck is an early '99 with Afe stage 2 intake, upgraded up pipes, IC, 4" exhaust, and an edge attitude w/ juice. I'm still not satisfied with the power so there will be more modding to come. Any opions or suggestions on pumps or systems I should be looking at? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 04:00 AM
HHAUL'N STROKER

Re: Fuel Pump Upgrade?

If you want a new fuel pump I would reccomend a fuel lab pump.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 AM
Drink til she's cute

Welcome to the nation. In regards to your fuel pump replacement go to the sponsors section on top of the page and scroll down to ITP Diesel. Dennis will set you up right.

2008 F-250: High Powers / Dual K16 / 60% Nozzles
ELITE
NO LIMIT
SWAMPS
GEARHEAD
INNOVATIVE

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT

Depend on how much money you have. To run a fuel lab, you will need more than just the pump. The intake side of the pump I know for sure will need bigger lines. Then you will need to run a relay and larger wires to the pump. $500+

Stock Fuel pump <$200

What problems is your truck having that you are being told that your pump is going bad?

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I recently had it in at a mechanic and he said one of the codes that came up was a indication of a weak pump. He just gave me a heads up that I might need to replace it soon. I am only able to build 15 pounds of boost according to my edge monitor, could this have something to do with fuel or lack there of?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

the fuel lab pump is 4oo bucks..i will be going with the $118 walbro pump..better then stock yet cheaper then stock..low fuel could be the cause..i would check for boost leaks or up pipe leaks first..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALBR...mZ360141552061

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Depend on how much money you have. To run a fuel lab, you will need more than just the pump. The intake side of the pump I know for sure will need bigger lines. Then you will need to run a relay and larger wires to the pump. $500+

Stock Fuel pump <$200

What problems is your truck having that you are being told that your pump is going bad?

One thing to keep in mind is that you can run the Fuelab pump at whatever speed you want. If you turn it down, you can run smaller lines.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Waitin' on 500

i had a FASS on my cummins and it was amazing. if i had to do it again, id go the same route

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Single Cab Dually
S366 w/Irate mount and plenums, EFuel, Intercooler, P.I.S 175/80s,
Corbeau seats w 08 console, 19.5s, Black Interior with swede headliner and visors,
Custom badges, Flight Fab/DIY traction bars.

2012 CCSB F250 Ultimate Lariat.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupique108 View Post
i had a FASS on my cummins and it was amazing. if i had to do it again, id go the same route
What fuel pressure did that Fass run at on your Cummins? The difference between that, and the pressure a 7.3 system runs at is why you would likely not have the same luck.

Is the OP even looking for a performance pump of any sort? If not, a walbro is the quickest, and easiest fix by far. That or a stock replacement, although I have no idea what code can come up to indicate a failing fuel pump myself.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Waitin' on 500

i kept a constant 15psi with smarty level 9

Single Cab Dually
S366 w/Irate mount and plenums, EFuel, Intercooler, P.I.S 175/80s,
Corbeau seats w 08 console, 19.5s, Black Interior with swede headliner and visors,
Custom badges, Flight Fab/DIY traction bars.

2012 CCSB F250 Ultimate Lariat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode