Gear Vendors Over/Under Drive - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Gear Vendors Over/Under Drive

Hey I ripped the center out of my flex plate and screwed up my tranny. So I decide to go to with a built tranny. I just got it put in by Farmer's Repair in Whitewater Ks, which I love by the way. Now while I was in there I saw an interesting device they sell as mentioned in the title. They said they sell a ton of them and the folks that buy them love it. I guess it basically splits your gears in either an auto or a manual tranny and gives you double overdrive. Meaning a 4 speed would actually become an 8 speed with a double overdrive. Allowing you to put a 4:10 rear end in and still having the gear ratio in final overdrive comparable to a 3:73 allowing for more power with added mileage. It also does this torque multiplier thing so you're in your powerband twice as long as with a stock tranny. It's a self contained unit that hooks up right behind your tranny or transfer case if equipped. Now my question is are there any people who have them and if so how well does it hold up. The guy said it's warrantied up to 1800 ft/lbs of torque. This guy was a pretty good sales man but then again its a sales man. I want to know what real people think.

Thanks,
Chris Vanderford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Gear Vendors Over/Under Drive

Looked into one a while back strictly for mileage.Every shop I talked to said they were a tough unit. But most sold them. Down here in flat south west Fl. dont need the extra gearing they provide. Could not justify the price but I want one! Glad diesel is down to 2.20 a gallon
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:15 PM
PSN Local

i have 1 in a 1996 obs 7.3 and it has been in since new I also hav 4:10 gears it is great to run double overdrive empty. I also use it to turn off the Ford overdrive 28% overdrive, and turn on gear vendor overdrive 21% overdrive. It works great towing in the mountains for this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Hauler!

Ya i need one in my 450, they are a real PITA to get in there and installed!

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 PM
PSN Veteran

i have looked at them and several times, they are expensive and every time i get the money together i buy parts that give the engine more fuel when i should be buying parts that concerve fuel but every thing i have heard and read says they are very good to have if you can swing the price, last time i liked the unit was around $2500 and there was still the expense of modifying the drive shaft not sure what it would cost these days

99.5 F250/ VGT 5.9 CR Cummins4 link front and rear air ride
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:33 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Kip that is good to hear that with the power level you have that it holds up fine.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip4234 View Post
i have 1 in a 1996 obs 7.3 and it has been in since new I also hav 4:10 gears it is great to run double overdrive empty. I also use it to turn off the Ford overdrive 28% overdrive, and turn on gear vendor overdrive 21% overdrive. It works great towing in the mountains for this.
Is it true you have to turn it off or disengage it while going down hill?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Keyboard Thug

There are two major things I dont like about the Gear Vendor. It wont engage until road speed reaches 25 mph, and it wont work in 4x4. Since I drive in 4x4 on the highway a lot, not having the gear splitter while towing in 4x4 is a major detraction for me. Not working until 25mph means if you have say 4:56 gears and wanted to take advantage of the double overdrive which would be the same as overdrive for 3:55's, you can't split 1st and 2nd gear. Meaning, your 4 speed would in fact NOT be an 8 speed if you have 4:10's.

99 F250 4x4 SC SB Eats 6.0's

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
I'm not saying the 7.3 is god's gift to diesel either. But atleast when a CPS goes out you can change it on the side of the road. I don't know about you but I'm running out of places in my glove box to store injectors, head studs, new heads, up pipes, fuel pumps, ficms, and a lift to remove the cab.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Hauler!

Why the hell would you tow in 4x4 on dry pavement? I pull 40000 lbs just fine up steep 10% grades just fine.

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 PM
PSN Local

No you dont have to turn it off going down hills. Also the part that keeps it from turning on below 25 I think is 15 not 25 but I will check that. But that is done through a wire to the speed sensor so I would think you could defeat that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode