trying to figure out a compound setup - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

trying to figure out a compound setup

and this is what ive come up with using info from garretts site for bsfc and stuff like that.

im a little confused as to how you figure out the size for the second stage, i used the GT3782 as my second stage as u can see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Re: trying to figure out a compound setup

Why would you use a drop in as the second stage? The GTP 38R is perfect for it.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

in all honesty man im not exactly sure! lol. maybe im figuring this all wrong but i was hoping to run a small second stage turbo that will spool up real quick below 2000rpms, and have full boost by 2000rpms, is that possible or am i dreaming?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke View Post
in all honesty man im not exactly sure! lol. maybe im figuring this all wrong but i was hoping to run a small second stage turbo that will spool up real quick below 2000rpms, and have full boost by 2000rpms, is that possible or am i dreaming?
That's possible, and the 38R should fit that bill.

Do your math with that turbo as the second stage.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

looks like it will work really well with that one to, cant plot the points for the 38R with the program im using but by the looks of it either of those work really well at low rpms but the line stays more in the efficiency range up in the 3:1 pressure ratio area on the 38Rs map. i see your point but a 38R is going to cost be alot more then a used 6.0 Turbo. the cost of the 38R is what i was looking to spend on the 4202. see when im doing this in my mind it makes sense that at low rpms the curve is in the efficiency range for the 2nd turbo but as the rpms and lb/min go up the curve goes out of the 2nd turbos efficiency range and into the 1st turbos efficiency range, does that make sense/?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 PM

the 38R is a drop in. You dont have to change anything to use it as a second stage. If you use a 6.0 turbo you're going to have to refab everything, and that's big money.

If you're in the market for used turbos, just keep an eye out for a used 38R.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

yes for a 99.5 to 03, my truck being an early 99 means i have to change over everythin right? unless the 38R will work with my pedestal and clear the valve cover, i know the early 99 turbo sits alot lower in the lifter valley then a 99.5. the rest is irrelevant since ill have to make the rest of the plumbing myself.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

With a GT42 you're going to have to be running a pretty steep PR on the first stage anyway (otherwise you'll be way low in the map for your flow rate), so that alone will lessen the CFM flow throught he second stage compressor.

The 6oh turbo should move enough air to accomodate this setup. How are you going to control the VGT?

And what about up-pipes and such? You know that by not using a drop-in you'll have to fab those as well right?

Good Luck
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

the 6.0 turbo as the 2nd stage is more of a dream then a reality right now i know its been done on a 7.3L as a single setup, im havin trouble gettin in touch with the van aaken guy to see what he ended up to control it. im thinking a megasquirt ECU as a standalone setup to run the VGT, im sure it could be done, i just dont know how Ford controls it, i dont know what variables they use to equal the constant, meaning is the actuator position based on throttle position, rpm, back pressure or a combination of a few parameters.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

If I were you, I would use a micro-controller or something like the Megasquirt and use TPS and boost pressure to control it, Although even with the vanes all the way "open" I can still see the turbine housing being a serious restriction to exhaust gases trying to make their way to the GT42.

BTW, there's only one GT42 with the 96lb wheel. Anything less isn't even close to going to work for what you're doing. And the 96lb wheel is only marginal at best for a compound setup given the much lower relative PR's when running compounded.

You'll have to let the 42 make nearly all of the boost for it to be efficient. Otherwise the PR will bring you too low in the map requiring a larger compressor for the job......aka GT47-88.

Good Luck......(you'll need it )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode