Fuel pumps not strong enough - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Fuel pumps not strong enough

I have the ITP 5/8'' pick up tube, then 3/4 fuel line to a pre filter, then 1/2'' line to the fuel pumps. One pump is stock and the other is a walbro. They will not suck any fuel from the tank. What will i have to do? get smaller lines? add another pump some where? get a bigger pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 AM
2nd class citizen

Re: Fuel pumps not strong enough

contact dennis and buy the fuel lab pump.

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-350 View Post
I have the ITP 5/8'' pick up tube, then 3/4 fuel line to a pre filter, then 1/2'' line to the fuel pumps. One pump is stock and the other is a walbro. They will not suck any fuel from the tank. What will i have to do? get smaller lines? add another pump some where? get a bigger pump?
It sounds like you just got done with the pick-up tube install and are trying to prime the system.

You may want to double check the length of your pick-up tube. If it sits too close to the bottom of the tank, the tank is flexible enough to get sucked against the end of the pick-up tube when you activate the pumps.

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 AM
PSN Local

Have you tried priming the fuel filter, sometimes when servicing big trucks to get them to fire quicker we prime the filters.

99 PSD dually
4" lift 35' tire
4" exhaust to 6" Aussie's
K&n air filter
cc mod
Beans stage II 120hp injectors
Beans D66 turbo
ITP regulated return
updated ecm (2000 model)
reburned TS chip- 25,high idle,60,100,120,140hp
Dyno #'s 360hp and 965 ft lbs trq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-350 View Post
I'm guessing it's a priming issue. Did you really go up to 3/4" fuel line from my 5/8" pickup? If so, why?

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM

My dad is really forgetful and his LFL is getting the same way. Loosen the top of fuel filter housing, remove fuel cap, take end off of air chuck and wrap rag around it. Insert in fuel neck and have a helper tell you when you're getting fuel and tighten fuel filter. This has worked several times to get my old man off the side of the road!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Almost forgot, make sure you turn on the key so that the pumps are running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode