So what is the latest opinion on propane? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Thug

So what is the latest opinion on propane?

I've been considering propane as a way to increase power, burn some of that smoke, and maybe gain some mileage but that is only secondary. I like the idea of having an RV or forklift tank mounted under the bed against the frame where I can just pull in to a propane place and have it filled. I refuse to lose bed space. So just wondering if anyone is running it in performance application and what the pros and cons are of using it with 250cc hybrids or bigger.

99 F250 4x4 SC SB Eats 6.0's

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
I'm not saying the 7.3 is god's gift to diesel either. But atleast when a CPS goes out you can change it on the side of the road. I don't know about you but I'm running out of places in my glove box to store injectors, head studs, new heads, up pipes, fuel pumps, ficms, and a lift to remove the cab.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Re: So what is the latest opinion on propane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
I've been considering propane as a way to increase power, burn some of that smoke, and maybe gain some mileage but that is only secondary. I like the idea of having an RV or forklift tank mounted under the bed against the frame where I can just pull in to a propane place and have it filled. I refuse to lose bed space. So just wondering if anyone is running it in performance application and what the pros and cons are of using it with 250cc hybrids or bigger.
For.......get....... it.

You can find 10 guys that will tell you it's the greatest thing ever. 9 of them will have been running it for a year or less, and 8 of those guys will lose an engine in the next year after telling you it's the greatest thing ever.

That leaves 1 in 10 that don't blow up because they are injecting a very small quantity, making very little additional power and using it for milage and such.

This will NOT be you. You will end up in the other 90% that want power and pop an engine.

Do as you wish. This is WELL covered ground. Either get this out of your head now, or FULLY plan to be pulling a hurt/blown engine in a year or so.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Thug

I was browsing the sponsors sites this morning, and none of the vendors who support big power are selling propane kits, so I had an idea it wasnt popular with the cool kids for a reason.

99 F250 4x4 SC SB Eats 6.0's

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
I'm not saying the 7.3 is god's gift to diesel either. But atleast when a CPS goes out you can change it on the side of the road. I don't know about you but I'm running out of places in my glove box to store injectors, head studs, new heads, up pipes, fuel pumps, ficms, and a lift to remove the cab.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:34 PM
PSN Local

Damn I missed getting in here before charles had a brain aneurism(sp?) I ran LP for 273,000 miles, conservatively of course...It WILL help mileage but just a little, I liked it because it would certainly help get a 22K load moving when I needed it.

So all that said and done it finally popped after 293,000 miles and 14+ thousand dollars later I am NOT running lp on this new motor.

I DID crack all eight cylinders and number 5 had a hole I could put my pinky through..

The new motor with balanced bottom end, port and polished and port matched heads oh and intake and exhaust runners coated is head and shoulders ABOVE the old motor running lp.

Honestly do something else and don't waste your money...

toys here:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used and worn out, loudly proclaiming, "WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!!!"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 02:35 AM
Village Idiot

well there was a couple of guys that had good luck with it.
excav8tr was one of them. can't remember the other but i like to say it was an obs.

what about cng?

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 02:42 AM
loud and long

my buddy had propane on his 99 7.3 with a hypermax h2 turbo, stage 2 injectors yada yada and he pushed the head gaskets right out the side of yhe head and when this happened it also blew out 3 freeze plugs. it was pretty sweet, not for his wallet though. 7000 later he was up and running w/out propane. if you still want it i know for a fact he has one for sale. hahah

06 f250 w/ sct tunes from Gearhead
2"leveling kit w/ 350 blocks in rear
5 inch straight pipe
s&b intake
arp head studs
full egr delete
oil bypass
155/75 injectors
64/71 non vgt

Just bought-97 f250 ext cab long bed
Looking for Dana 60 front axel

RIP MAXINE
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 AM
PSD

Yeah what about CNG?

1996 crew cab long box. 3.73s, auto 493/1135 stockish auto trans.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:29 AM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDiesel View Post
Yeah what about CNG?
Considering it ignites like propane and introduced into the combustion chamber the same way as propane, I would venture a bet that it would have the same results as propane if you use too much.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
Look in the MPG section at the "new propane data" thread to see some of the experience that I have had. I would agree with others that this is not the way to go for extreme power increases.
With that being said I really do enjoy propane on My truck and now have over 220,000 miles on this truck running propane with zero propane related problems.
Would I buy a propane system again if My truck were stolen? Probably not as it would be a long period of time and miles before I would recoup My investment if buying from a MPG saving standpoint.
In you post you indicated that maybe propane could clean up the black smoke, I have come to the conclusion that propane may not clean up the smoke but actually make it worse with bigger injecters and aggressive tuning. Reason being, the propane will ignite before the injection sequence begins with the diesel, hence available oxygen has diminished before the diesel arrives to be burned in the combustion chamber. This would be noticed during hard acceleration. This is just My opionion from watching My truck over the years.

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Village Idiot

you see cng pushed a lot more in mags lately...
there was an interesting hydrogen thread a week or two back
that mentioned cleaning up smoke.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode