Regulated Return - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
HHAUL'N STROKER

Regulated Return

So whats the big difference between all the different makers of regulated returns? I was looking at ITPs kit then saw DieselSites CPR system.

Doese anyone run their CPR fuel system with the regulated return?

And Another fuel question, I was Thinking of running a regulated return with a fuel lab high pressure pump 70gph, and an airdog 95gph filtration system.
And then doing a fuel tank pre pump kit.

Is this a good combo? Looking for suggestions if I have a bad combo.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks for all your inputs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Re: Regulated Return

The 70gph pump running 100% is more than what you need, and not a good fit.

Get the bigger 41402 pump, and run it at 50% speed. That will give you 50 to 60 gph and be more efficient than the smaller pump running 100% speed.

Plus it gives you the option of ramping up to as much as 130+ gph if the need were ever to arise.

And those flow rates are at a usable 60psi, not free-flow.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 PM
HP Junky

I just installed the ITP Regulated Return and Airdog unit installed in my truck. Awesome kits, very happy at this point. All thats left to now is the big Fuel Lab pump.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Get the bigger 41402 pump, and run it at 50% speed. That will give you 50 to 60 gph and be more efficient than the smaller pump running 100% speed.
Charles...he's probably referring to the pump I have on my site listed as 70gph @ 70psi. That is NOT the smaller pump at 100% speed. It is the smaller (41401) pump running at a reduced speed. That setup is roughly 100% more than a stock pump, certainly not 100% for than what is needed. That pump at full speed is roughly 95gph @ 70psi.

Also, FWIW, I talked with Rob at FueLab at length before selecting that particular pump and speed combination. I wanted a pump that would do roughly 2x what the stock pump does at 70psi, so we settled on 70gph as the flow. Rob tested both the 41401 and 41402 on the bench and recommended I stay with the smaller pump. Since he's the one that builds and supports the pumps, I went with his advice.

That said, it should be noted that FueLab is in the process of making changes to their internal speed control that will make a difference in how customers can adjust the speed. It's not finalized yet, but they are no longer supplying the pump with the speed control wires hanging out where you can use different resistors to change the speed. Instead they are changing the controller to have a single terminal input for a PWM signal for speed control, and will be offering a user programmable speed control module in the next several months. The speed control module will be an "extra" item that needs to be purchased if desired, but since it's not released yet we don't know what the cost will be.

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
HHAUL'N STROKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITPDiesel View Post
Charles...he's probably referring to the pump I have on my site listed as 70gph @ 70psi. That is NOT the smaller pump at 100% speed. It is the smaller (41401) pump running at a reduced speed. That setup is roughly 100% more than a stock pump, certainly not 100% for than what is needed. That pump at full speed is roughly 95gph @ 70psi.

Also, FWIW, I talked with Rob at FueLab at length before selecting that particular pump and speed combination. I wanted a pump that would do roughly 2x what the stock pump does at 70psi, so we settled on 70gph as the flow. Rob tested both the 41401 and 41402 on the bench and recommended I stay with the smaller pump. Since he's the one that builds and supports the pumps, I went with his advice.

That said, it should be noted that FueLab is in the process of making changes to their internal speed control that will make a difference in how customers can adjust the speed. It's not finalized yet, but they are no longer supplying the pump with the speed control wires hanging out where you can use different resistors to change the speed. Instead they are changing the controller to have a single terminal input for a PWM signal for speed control, and will be offering a user programmable speed control module in the next several months. The speed control module will be an "extra" item that needs to be purchased if desired, but since it's not released yet we don't know what the cost will be.
Will the new speed control module be able to be used on the current pumps or does it need an updated pump system?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
HHAUL'N STROKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Plus it gives you the option of ramping up to as much as 130+ gph if the need were ever to arise.

And those flow rates are at a usable 60psi, not free-flow.
If I run the larger 41402 pump will i have to up the air dog system from 95 gph to 150 gph to make sure in the future it will keep up with the 41402?

And what regulated return out there is the fullest and most beneficial?
Thank you!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOK'N BLUE STROKER View Post
Will the new speed control module be able to be used on the current pumps or does it need an updated pump system?
Since the current pumps use a resistor and the new ones are using PWM, I would say that anyone wanting to use the new controller would need to get their pump upgraded. To be completely fair, I have NO idea what FueLab would charge for this as it's not just the electronic controller in the pump, it's also the pump end cap and possibly some other internals. I would say that the new revision pumps need to hit the street first before approaching FueLab with that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOK'N BLUE STROKER View Post
If I run the larger 41402 pump will i have to up the air dog system from 95 gph to 150 gph to make sure in the future it will keep up with the 41402?
Considering that the 41402 is capable of over 95gph, the standard 95gph AirDog would be undersized for that pump. This is one of the other reasons I stayed with the smaller 41401 pump. Very few people will ever need more than 70gph. That is more than an A1000 flowed at 70psi and I have yet to hear of any PSD needing more than that. Maybe the day will come, but for 99.9% of PSD owners hot rodding their trucks it's completely unnecessary. For that .1% that needs it, get a bigger pump.

Quote:
And what regulated return out there is the fullest and most beneficial?
Thank you!
They all do the same darn thing, so it comes down to your personal preference for materials, layout, etc. Compare the differences and pick the one that you like.

/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
HHAUL'N STROKER

So i should be be safe 41401 pump and the 95 gph airdog? That combo with a rr would do most any injector setup?

And in the rr kits is a fuel cooler really needed?

And while your on here how long untill you release the ITP post-pump fuel filter kits?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

If you're going to run the 41401 at full speed, you might want the 150gph AirDog just to be sure it's moving more fuel than the FueLab. Don't want to cause any undue stress on the pump. If it was mine, I'd run a reduced speed FueLab with a standard AirDog.

IMO the Fuel Cooler issue has never been fully resolved. I've done some testing and the data was inconclusive. I certainly don't think a cooler is a bad thing, but I'm not yet convinced that it's necessary.

No ETA on the post pump filter setup. I'm not happy with the options I have for mounting, particularly when some of the best options have already been taken by other aftermarket products. I don't want to run into a situation where I send out a kit and start getting phone calls about not being able to mount per my instructions because ABC or XYZ part from so and so is already in that location.

/

/

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITPDiesel View Post

Well, I could be wrong, but I believe I have been running this "as yet to be released" pump for almost a year. I did some testing and gave my insight on the pumps about a year ago when I first got one, and with a single battery had a few issues with the circuit design at startup. Primarily dealing with the way the speed control signal voltage was handled. I made up a few test circuits myself, and had numerous conversations with Rob about my findings, and he made more suggestions for some other things to try.

After we had been talking for a few weeks, with myself trying a few things and seeing those results, he made me a new pump with a completely new circuit board design, and a completely different speed control and processor. There are no external wires IIRC. At that time we talked specifically about how to incorporate the speed control portion. I suggested a separate project enclosure to house that part. It seems they have gone that route, as well as making it a non-mandatory component as well. Even better.

As I said, this had been a year or so now. Now it may be the case that Rob has found a better solution in that time, but there is very little chance that you have worked with him as in depth as I have on these pumps.

41402 at 50% produces 50 - 60gph @ 60psi as of ~ 1 yr ago. And was the best match for the truck, with the available pump options at that time. If something has changed since then, please disregard my suggestion. It was not my intention to step on your toes Dennis. I never even knew you picked the pump in the first place. I was just putting the information out there as correctly as possible.

Best of Luck. And next time you talk to Rob, tell him I said hey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode