Oil filter and cooler on the HPOP? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Oil filter and cooler on the HPOP?

So I've been thinking about running a cooler on my return line that dumps back into the oil reservoir. Anthony did this on his truck, and it turned out great.

Then I started thinking what an oil filter (FS2500 or something similar) would do if added before the cooler. Would it be too much of a restriction? Seems like if it didn't cause a restriction, it would be a good way to clean the oil before heading back to the injectors.

Any ideas?

99 F350 CCLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred
Re: Oil filter and cooler on the HPOP?

The cooler would be a good idea, IMO, but I don't think the filter would be needed, as you already have a screen in the HPOP resivior gasket that catches particles before they go to the HPOP.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
The cooler would be a good idea, IMO, but I don't think the filter would be needed, as you already have a screen in the HPOP resivior gasket that catches particles before they go to the HPOP.

Dave
The screen is on late 99-up motors. Early 99 and OBS motors don't have it.

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstik View Post
The screen is on late 99-up motors. Early 99 and OBS motors don't have it.
I don't think that I have a screen on my truck. Have you thought about running a filter on your truck?

99 F350 CCLB
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skav View Post
I don't think that I have a screen on my truck. Have you thought about running a filter on your truck?
As long as the filter doesn't add a significant amount of restriction to the system, it might be beneficial.

Extra filtration and extra cooling usually seem to be a good thing. On top of that, the filter would be one more place for the oil dumped through the IPR to "mellow out" before heading back to the reservoir.

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 AM
PSN Veteran

What kind of cooler are you thinking?

And how did it feel different?

Seems like hotter, thinner oil works better, right?

What's the advantage of the cooler?

Not knocking or anything... just curious.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstik View Post
the filter would be one more place for the oil dumped from through the IPR to "mellow out" before heading back to the reservoir.
That was also what I was thinking. The filter and cooler would also give additional capacity to the entire oil system too (as if over 4 gallons wasn't enough).

Any idea how restrictive the bypass filters are?

99 F350 CCLB
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Banned

If you're talking about running it on the IPR return line.... I wouldn't be too worried about restriction, lol.

If the filter became too restrictive, the 3000 or so psi ICP would easily "resolve" that issue no prob. I have no doubt that the oil would make it's way out of the IPR.

Dont' know that the filter would be in one piece for long if that happened though.

FWIW, I don't think the FS2500 is designed for that much flow. That would be utilizing it in a way where it's flow must be maintained. It was desgined to be used as a bypass, not a full flow unit. Even though it would not be taking full engine oil flow, it would be taking 100% of the expected volume leaving that line, which makes it full flow for that application. If the element stopped up, sh*t would get ugly in a hurry (assuming the element could have supported the oil flow rate when clean).
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

This is the line that I'm thinking of. Instead of dumping back into the res, sens the oil to the filter then cooler, and then back to the res. Only a bit cleaner and cooler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1162 [640x480].JPG (60.4 KB, 60 views)

99 F350 CCLB
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

FWIW, I don't think the FS2500 is designed for that much flow. That would be utilizing it in a way where it's flow must be maintained. It was desgined to be used as a bypass, not a full flow unit. Even though it would not be taking full engine oil flow, it would be taking 100% of the expected volume leaving that line, which makes it full flow for that application. If the element stopped up, sh*t would get ugly in a hurry (assuming the element could have supported the oil flow rate when clean).
Didn't think about the whole "plugging up the filter" part. That would really suck .

Is there a filter that could handle the pressure w/o coming apart?

Maybe better off w/ just the cooler. Still giving the oil a chance to simmer down a bit before putting it back to work again.

99 F350 CCLB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode