difference between stock, muff delete and 4" exuast - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

difference between stock, muff delete and 4" exuast

alright when i first got this truck together i had the stock exaust with muffler on it well i deleted the muffler and did not notice any difference in power or egts or mileage now will i see any difference when i go from stock with muff delete to a 4" system? power wize or mileage wize? i dont like doin stuff unless it gives you seat of the pants results i could care less about 10 hp i want things that realy make a difference not just sound meaner. so i guess my question is should i just stick with the deleted muffler stock system? by the way i have a tuner with a 120hp setting on it on the way will it make a diference wether i hVE A 4" OR STOCK 3 1/2 " THANKS

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Ticking time bomb

Re: difference between stock, muff delete and 4" exuast

your are not gonna notice much of a difference ffo a 3 1/2 to 4 i didnt.. but if your going with bigger injectors someday it will help.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 AM
PSN Local

Think of it this way, the more air you can flow the better off you are. If you do go injectios and a turbo route then do the exhaust but if you don't plan on doin anymore to it then leave. Just my 2 cents.

Rollin' Black Smoke!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thank you thats what i figured, i appretiate all the info you guys been givin me, been a lot cheaper askin you folks then just tryin diffrent things out and not likein them.

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Lovin the Tuna

In my (unexpert) opinion my 4inch full exhaust system with downpipe was worth it. Made a noticable change to the motor, maybe not the SOP but could tell it was better with egts. I know gas and diesel are different, but more air in and less restriction out seems like a basic concept of letting the motor run easier. Not to mention helps the MPG. Just my .02

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 PM
PSN Local

True I have never ran a car or truck with out some kinda exhaust work. Its the first thing i do when I buy something

Rollin' Black Smoke!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Village Idiot

some folks say on lower hp trucks you get more low end torque with a 3.5" down pipe then with a 4". most of the restriction is in the muffler.
a few folks (nchornet and a few others)swear by the walker btm muffler saying it gives 80% of the performance of a 4" system.

you could always do the muffler delete 1st if not rpmoutlet.com has realy good deals on 4" systems , also some vendors like itp and di can get them cheap just cant advertise the price so give them a call as well.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode