scangauge shortcomings - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

scangauge shortcomings

For starters, I still like the gauge and recommend it. I have the fuel pressure addition as well. However, I notice you cannot accurately measure coolant temp and now I just noticed that the boost reading is very different from my isspro gauge. Going down the highway I had about 5-6 psi on the isspro and only 2.9 ish on the scangauge. Anyone else notice this?
On another note, I like it a lot for fuel pressure, icp, air intake temp (which I use as an outdoor temp reading), and battery voltage.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: scangauge shortcomings

how do you measure fuel press? I wonder if this could be done on the obs mechanical set up?

On the boost, I don't measure that parameter. I use mine mostly for the hp oil system readings.

For the few days I've had it on, its great and its already confirmed or relieved me of specific ideas on the system. At one time, I thought of getting AE but don't plan on it at this point.

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
For starters, I still like the gauge and recommend it. I have the fuel pressure addition as well. However, I notice you cannot accurately measure coolant temp and now I just noticed that the boost reading is very different from my isspro gauge. Going down the highway I had about 5-6 psi on the isspro and only 2.9 ish on the scangauge. Anyone else notice this?
On another note, I like it a lot for fuel pressure, icp, air intake temp (which I use as an outdoor temp reading), and battery voltage.
It's the ITP boost annihalator and the way it works. Try taking it off once and see how much boost the PCM see's at 5-6psi. It has regulator lag. Go find a shop air compressor(doesn't matter what size) with 2 gauges and a regulator on it, air it up (most stop at 120 psi IIRC), set the regulator at say 90 psi, turn it off and crack the drain valve to let it bleed down at watch both gauges. They don't stay the same until 90 psi, the one post regulator is lagged. Same thing your doing to your MAP sensor.

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

ahhh, ok. I did not think about the boost annihalator. I did not think that it did anything at such low boost levels. I thought that it only came into play around 23 psi. But I forgot that it is not a relief valve, but a regulator. Thanks.
Jeff

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I measure the fuel pressure at the fuel bowl. I paid a little extra for the size sensor that will easily screw into the fuel bowl with a common adapter.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
Going down the highway I had about 5-6 psi on the isspro and only 2.9 ish on the scangauge. Anyone else notice this?
Set your DP Tuner to the "stock" setting and I bet it fixes your problem.

If you don't have "stock" (it's not listed in your sig.), then take the chip out. I bet your MAP reading will be accurate.

Cody
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I will do that, because I often run in stock and I thought the boost was fairly accurate. On this long trip, I was playing with the gauge while running in the dp tunes. Why is the chip throwing that off?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM
PSN Veteran

The scaling that Jody's tuning uses would be my guess. But then again, when max boost that the PCM sees is 14 or so PSI because of the scaling, it's hard to set an overboost code. That's a good thing about his tuning.

I had issues with it when I changed to a laggy turbocharger. My 20t, 60t, and 80E turned into "no-low-boost-fueling-turds" after the turbo installation. Stock was more responsive....especially after the 3-4 shift. 120R wasn't affected....even though the boost numbers were still skewed. I spent a lot of time with a scanner looking at what was going on.

Cody
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:56 PM
PSN Local

I find the coolant temp to be useless, but what I dont get is the timing measurement. Everything else is great.

Josh

2000 F350 205,000
STAGE II SPLITS 100%
STEALTH SRP1
TYRANT TUNES
38R TURBO
BTS VALVE BODY
WALBRO 392
SCANGAUGE
ISSPRO
MORE STUFF
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKHUNTER View Post
I find the coolant temp to be useless, but what I dont get is the timing measurement. Everything else is great.
Well, seeing as though your automatic transmission equipped truck's PCM doesn't have an input for ECT, that makes sense.

Timing measurement......

Where to start? It's a number made up by the PCM that is created by a lot of different factors dealing with several inputs.

Some scan data is nothing but

LIES AND BULLCRAP

Cody

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode