WOT "pinging"? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

WOT "pinging"?

So when I run my truck in the highest setting on my DP-Tuner which is 120 race I get this detonation/ pinging noise at WOT. If I back out if the throttle a little bit it goes away and it feels like I gain power when I back out if it. When it's at WOT and "pinging" it seems a little down on power compared to when I let out of it a little bit.

My lower settings on the DP don't do this "pinging", only the 120R. Also, I never noticed that the truck did this before I installed the modded 17* HPOP. When I had the stock 15* I don't think it did this. Another thing to mention, about 2 years ago when I first got a plain-jane TS 6-pos chip I would get the same "pinging" when I would go WOT on the highest program.

The DP-Tuner was tuned for a stock 15* pump, now I have the modded 17*, could it be a simple tuning issues that needs to be adjusted for the bigger HPOP?

Early 99 F-350
4" lift on 33's. Daily Driver/ Plow truck.
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New truck:
2009 F-350, 5.4L, 4" lift on 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 AM
Village Idiot

Re: WOT "pinging"?

I don't get any pingng on my ts chip...
what kind of pinging ..

rev limiter defuel... turbo wheel contact , not sure what valve float sounds like.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

The noise is like pre-detonation or something. Like when a gas engine pings from fuel or whatever, kind of sounds like that. It's not a mechanical noise like metal on metal, it's a noise that seems to be from the way the fuel is being delivered or something. It only does it in the 120R at WOT, so I maybe the fuel delivery @ WOT in that program is causing it. I just need to call Jody I guess.

Early 99 F-350
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New truck:

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:08 AM
PSN Veteran

It could be your 17 degree pump if it made that much of an improvement in pressure and you were tuned on the ragged edge before...... You could just have one of those trucks with a little bit advanced timing from the factory.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
It could be your 17 degree pump if it made that much of an improvement in pressure and you were tuned on the ragged edge before...... You could just have one of those trucks with a little bit advanced timing from the factory.

Is the noise I'm hearing timing? The truck definitely loses power when it starts to pinging or whatever you want to call it.

And yes, over my factory 15, the modded 17* was a huge improvement on the top end, my truck used to fall on its face, now it rips pretty hard.

Early 99 F-350
SOLD

New truck:
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:48 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

If it's loosing power when it's pinging, I would stay out of that program until you get this issue fixed, it can't be good.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Body Type: MULE

what do you have for a fuel system,

no fuel pressure will make the very pinging yo uspeak of when the injectors are starved for fuel and trying to fire.

2011- F250 PSD CCSB 4x4 HS PERFORMANCE Tuning DPF OFF EGR OFF TRUCK HAPPY DRIVER HAPPY

your #1 NON-Cult member of the USA Government JustinM.
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfan99 View Post
So when I run my truck in the highest setting on my DP-Tuner which is 120 race I get this detonation/ pinging noise at WOT. If I back out if the throttle a little bit it goes away and it feels like I gain power when I back out if it. When it's at WOT and "pinging" it seems a little down on power compared to when I let out of it a little bit.

My lower settings on the DP don't do this "pinging", only the 120R. Also, I never noticed that the truck did this before I installed the modded 17* HPOP. When I had the stock 15* I don't think it did this. Another thing to mention, about 2 years ago when I first got a plain-jane TS 6-pos chip I would get the same "pinging" when I would go WOT on the highest program.

The DP-Tuner was tuned for a stock 15* pump, now I have the modded 17*, could it be a simple tuning issues that needs to be adjusted for the bigger HPOP?
Which pump do you have?

Cat actually summed it up with what he posted. Fuel systems (even on a stock truck) make it feel stronger and deliver the fuel so much better. I noticed many things in the way of how my EX ran after installing ITP's fuel system. With bigger injectors it's a must or you will be starving the injectors. As for the pump, Jody will need to know what modded pump you have to be able to tell you if you need new tunes.

Diane
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

I had written a post about this, but deleted it.

Instead, I"ll just ask why does everyone feel the need to actually pretend they don't know exactly what is happening at WOT with this truck in this program?

I don't expect an "answer" to that, nor do I want to read one. Wake up people!

Consider an oscilloscope your "Diet Pepsi Max".

So true.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
PSN Veteran

With out talking to him and him datalogging in the moment this happening we can sit here all day posting what we "think" it is. Heck he could have gotten some bad fuel somewhere for all we know. It could be one of a ton variables.

If you want an opinion he has probably advanced the timing to a "degree" by installing the pump and now he is hearing the noise as the result. Without hooking up equipment and monitoring we'll never know that for sure.

To be stating a fact, with Stg. 2's he is starving the injectors for fuel and he needs to get the fuel system he has in his signature as one of his next mods he is going to do.

This is suppose to be a helping Forum not a "I have nothing useful to post so I'll just put someone down" Forum. <kiss>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode