ARP stud insall tomorrow.. help ASAP!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

ARP stud insall tomorrow.. help ASAP!!

After work tonight we pulled the engine out of the truck, tore it apart, switched in a set of forged rods and called it a night.

Tomorrow we will be completing the engine assembly and re-installing the engine.

As part of my build I have a set of new ARP head studs. The ARP instructions say to torque to like 80 lbs with ARP molly lube and like 106 with 30 weight oil...

I thought you had to tighten and loosen... then tighten and loosen.... and the final torque was more like 135????

Can some body please guide me!!! What is the best sequence and torque spec on new ARP head studs...

Thanks!!!
Bob

1995 Ford F350 XLT CC LB, 4X4, 12V Cummins, ZF5, D60, Sterling 10.5, 6637 air filter, 7.3L Intercooler, Autometer Cobalt Gauges. ZF6 swap soon to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Savings?? what?

Re: ARP stud insall tomorrow.. help ASAP!!

When I did mine I was also a bit confused. I know the type of lube does make a big difference. I wound up doing 120 with oil. They held with OEM headgaskets for 30,000 miles @ up to 50 psi boost before I finally split the block. But never had a headgasket leak. Also, if you look closely, you will find that there are 8 studs that are slightly shorter then the rest. These need to go by the injector cups so the hold downs will clear the stud when you install your injectors. I learned the hard way by installing the studs with the motor out, installed the motor, then the injectors and the the hold downs didn't fit. Then I had to find the 8 special studs with motor already installed and play musical studs what a PITA that was!!

Late 1999 F-250 CC, 4x4, SB. 05 nose, Diff, suspension and badges,dynomatted. Revtek2.5 inch lift, Detroit true-trac Red-head steering, AATCO Trans, PI TC, Crowers, Girdle and Fire-Rings, ARP Studs, Blueprinted, DI Camshaft and intercooler, Cut Mahle LC pistons, Swamps Gen3& hybrids, Tubos??, MBRP 4",DP tuner, VEGISTROKE, More $$tuff
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Did you just torque to 120 in one go?? or did you do several torques to 120???

1995 Ford F350 XLT CC LB, 4X4, 12V Cummins, ZF5, D60, Sterling 10.5, 6637 air filter, 7.3L Intercooler, Autometer Cobalt Gauges. ZF6 swap soon to come

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
wantbetech

[QUOTE=Mr. Bob;402725]After work tonight we pulled the engine out of the truck, tore it apart, switched in a set of forged rods and called it a night.

I thought you needed to have it balanced if you went from PMR to forged?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Sponsor

Bring the studs up evenly... 65, 85, 105, 125, (I go 140)

Then, do each stud one at a time... at your final torque (again, some say 125 others say 140)... Torque, Untorque, Torque, Untorque, Torque, Untorque, Final Torque

Use whatever torque spec you are comfortable with. I use 140 all the time and I have never had a failure. Others have said that they broke studs at 125
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Crazy Talk

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokenstang

mine are at either 130 or 135 dont remember that was w/ arp lube.

1996 F-250 ex-cab -D60- Motor,fire hoses-Nate,Tuning,Cam-Matt R,P-rods,dummy plugs-Wipe Out,Huffer-Engineered diesel,Carson,Gen3,Idm-Swamps,Rods,studs,fire rings-WOP,Clutch-Valair
455/400's in,S475 T-6 mounted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'84 f-350 2wd, 6.9l, 4spd, drw, flatbed. For Sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 PM
PSN Veteran

The directions call for 125 max ft-lbs. If you go more ARP won't warranty them if they stretch out. I went to 140 on my studs :)

As far as staging goes. This is what ARP said to do. First install all of them per factory spec at 95 ft-lbs. Then go straight to 125 then loosen and tighten back to 125 three times. Then go over all the studs one more time to ensure they are all the same.

You start with the outer part (exhaust manifold side) of the head and work towards the inside in rows.

Use the moly lube under the washers and nuts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:22 PM
PSN Local

The reason behind the repeated tightening and loosening during initial stud installation is that the friction between the male and female threads burnishes (polishes) the contact area of the threads. This polishing leads to a more uniform friction from stud to stud, which in turn gives a more uniform clamping force across the cylinder head.
This is procedure is not necessary if you are re-using a set of studs.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 PM
PSN Veteran

i torqued mine to 140 also. Its a b!tch with the motor in the truck with the fuel bowl in place.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
PSN Veteran

When we did mine, we took them to 130 loosened them then back to 130 and that was it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode