Different Big Oil Setups and Reservoir Capacity - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Different Big Oil Setups and Reservoir Capacity

How does the factory system ensure the HPOP Reservoir stays filled under extended WOT runs? How have the various big oil manufacturers allowed for increased oil capacitiy needed in the reservoir. I notice the Gen 3 from Swamps has an extra supply line to the unit. Is there any problems with replacement pumps or other systems that do not supplement reservoir capacity?

Just wondering,
Matt R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned

Re: Different Big Oil Setups and Reservoir Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
How does the factory system ensure the HPOP Reservoir stays filled under extended WOT runs? How have the various big oil manufacturers allowed for increased oil capacitiy needed in the reservoir. I notice the Gen 3 from Swamps has an extra supply line to the unit. Is there any problems with replacement pumps or other systems that do not supplement reservoir capacity?

Just wondering,
Matt R

Doesn't the Termy "Remote IPR" dump freshly aerated oil from the IPR outlet right back into the reservoir? While the oil quality may be questionable, it should be no problem for that to maintain the oil pressure in the reservoir.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:25 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Doesn't the Termy "Remote IPR" dump freshly aerated oil from the IPR outlet right back into the reservoir? While the oil quality may be questionable, it should be no problem for that to maintain the oil pressure in the reservoir.
Charles, you cease to amaze me.....................your just oooozzzzing with wizdumb or is it stupidity?

I think my IQ is dropping a point everytime I read one of your theories.

Matt, I use the Remote IPR for two reasons.
1) Easy access to the IPR
2) It does keep the reservoir full and the low pressure pump has no problem keeping up. About 5% of my customers were seeing a pressure drop at WOT before the R-IPR was added. Some tried adding an external line from the port near the oil filter, but then worried about pressure drops to the lower end.
3) Another option is an external cooler can also be added in race applications using the R-IPR port to help keep the oil cooler.

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Cool deal Joey
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorEngineering View Post
Charles, you cease to amaze me.....................your just oooozzzzing with wizdumb or is it stupidity?

I think my IQ is dropping a point everytime I read one of your theories.

Matt, I use the Remote IPR for two reasons.
1) Easy access to the IPR
2) It does keep the reservoir full and the low pressure pump has no problem keeping up. About 5% of my customers were seeing a pressure drop at WOT before the R-IPR was added. Some tried adding an external line from the port near the oil filter, but then worried about pressure drops to the lower end.
3) Another option is an external cooler can also be added in race applications using the R-IPR port to help keep the oil cooler.

You're pumping oil from the relief valve directly back to the pump inlet. This isn't rocket science. That's not a good idea, you have created heat and aeration when the oil goes from 3000+psi to ~30 or so psi in microseconds across an orifice. Waste oil should have time to cool and de-aerate before being returned to the pump. The reservoir is the oil pan. The oil is consumed from the reservoir atop the front cover so quickly it has no time to do anything but travel directly back through the pump. Hydraulics 101.

I don't care what that means to you. It is what it is. When you have people working on ways to give this oil time to simmer before even returning it to the lube oil pump, shooting it straight back into the high pressure system is not the brightest idea. Yes, it solves a potential brief oil starvation issue at startup, but degrades the system efficiency while driving the other 99.9% of the time the truck is running.

Joey, what reason would I have to believe you had ever actually done worthwhile testing on anything? Why should I ever think that you would be doing something because it made sense after thorough testing? 3800+psi ICP and dumping this oil right back to the pump are just a couple demonstrations of your conceptual prowess with the Heui system.

Give me a break man.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:56 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorEngineering View Post
joey i hate to say this, but i think charles has a better idea of whats going on than you do. he may come across wrong to some and sound like an #######, but he's tested enough stuff to know what works and what doesnt. One things for sure, I know which one of you id allow to properly size a set of compounds for me.... it would not be you, mr back pressure wizzard

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Cummins Power

Explain to me where the air comes from in a sealed system?

Kevin

12v CONVERSION IN PROGRESS, Special thanks to:
South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech2161 View Post
Explain to me where the air comes from in a sealed system?
Why does a restrictive fuel filter cause fuel aeration? Is it "air"? No, it's the same fluid you're pumping in a Vapor state. At a certain heat/pressure any fluid will change states to a gas. This is why a fuel system is sometimes referred to as being "Vapor Locked" when restriction is too great for the pump to get adequate fuel in liquid form to maintain a prime.

Although I don't have a camera in there.... the aeration is damn sure there when you run high rpm/low pw and blast a ton of oil across the IPR that damn sure isn't there if you keep the pw up, and keep the oil going through the poppets and not across the IPR.

The IPR is a HUGE source of aeration on these engines. Always has been. To purposefully blow that right back into the pumps is less than brilliant IMO.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong. But it'll take more than comments about IQ to come to a conclusion one way or the other.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:08 AM

post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 AM
Cummins Power

Have you looked at this through a site glass or out the end of an open hose? The fuel aeration is the release of entrained air most likely from the fuel sloshing in the tank.

Kevin

12v CONVERSION IN PROGRESS, Special thanks to:
South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode