Plastiguage procedures - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Subject Matter Expert

Plastiguage procedures

I am building a forged-rod engine for a buddy now, a safe reliable 450hp daily driver setup, and as we were tearing the junkyard engine apart tonight (which was in suprisingly CLEAN shape!), we plastiguaged the mains and rods. The mains were all .003, and the rods were between .001, and .0015. My question is this: I know the rod bearing/crank measurement is somewhere between .018 and .045" for oil clearance, and the plastiguage showed .015. Is that measurement from the plastiguage one-half of the clearance, as in there is also .015" clearance on the opposite side of the crank too, or does that force just squish the crank into the rod bearing, and there is only .015 oil clearance?

The mains, same thing. This time it was .003 instead. We are getting new coated rod bearings because a few look iffy, the mains look damn nice, near new. TIA

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Plays with Motors

Re: Plastiguage procedures

I don't use plastiguage, don't recomend it, and don't trust it.

That being said, the number you got is supposed to be the true clearance, not only 1/2 of it.

Dial bore guage and micrometers is the only right way to measure clearances.

2011 335i M-Sport
2000 F-250 7.3L ( Sold )
1966 Mustang Fastback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 PM
throttle jockey by trade

2000 F-350 six speed
2000 F-350 automatic (custom tree dent mod)
1978 F-350 4speed 460 pulling truck

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
PSN Veteran

but what if your bore gauge and calipers are off?

Early 99, regular cab, Six Speed, Wildman Tuned, Red wastegate line MIA, muffler MIA, Isspro EGT/Boost, DIY Tymar, EBPV Switch, a slipping South Bend, 2.5" leveling kit, 35x12.5 BFG All-Terrains, 16.5" American Racing wheels SOLD
04, red regular cab, six speed, Edge SOLD
97, silver regular cab 300/200 s300
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder man
but what if your bore gauge and calipers are off?
A tape measure will usually get you close enough...

Cody
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
PSN Veteran

I don't think I would feel safe taking a tape measure to measure something that is suppose to be in the thousandths.

Early 99, regular cab, Six Speed, Wildman Tuned, Red wastegate line MIA, muffler MIA, Isspro EGT/Boost, DIY Tymar, EBPV Switch, a slipping South Bend, 2.5" leveling kit, 35x12.5 BFG All-Terrains, 16.5" American Racing wheels SOLD
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Caption This

You could use a yard stick. But don't ever let it get wet or it will lose it's accuracy. Actually plastigauge works fairly well if you understand how to use it. Rods are difficult to do because you have to hold them one direction while you bolt the cap on. It's easier if you have a helper. Mains are easier if the engine is upside down. If it is still in the vehicle then they get tougher.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
you want some of this?

A good length of rope works for me. long as they are all the same its okay , right??lol
I hope those numbers were off by a 0.
Cause .018, and .045 is a bit on the high side.
Thats enough clearance for a 15 inch journal with aluminum bearings. Not that a ford ever had an enigne with 15" journals, but Im just sayin.
Honestly the clearances sounded pretty good to me.
Plastigauge aint rocket science, but hey , we aint building a rocket now are we.

It may not be perfect, but it at least tells you you are in the ballpark. Since I've worked at my current job for the last 15 years, I've seen some crazy stuff, lemme tell ya, engines are WAY more forgiving than you would think.
Unless your right on the ragged edge, it should be fine.
Besides, international put that one together, and it it looks good after all those miles, then its probly okay.

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 PM
you want some of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder man View Post
I don't think I would feel safe taking a tape measure to measure something that is suppose to be in the thousandths.
you're joking......right??
Ya know they werent serious?

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
PSN Veteran

As bad as I'd like to say I knew they were joking, I didn't. I have seen some pretty crazy #### though so you never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode