Gold Motorcraft coolant/Coolant Filtration System? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question Gold Motorcraft coolant/Coolant Filtration System?

Is this why you use a Coolant Filtration System?

This is a sample of the coolant out of my truck after it sits for a bit and settles. If you stir/mix it up as if it was flowing in the truck it does mix up. It's the Gold Motorcraft coolant. That's what my truck had in it and what the manual says to change it with, without using any additives. I had just changed it about two years a go. I know this is probably going to bring up the whole topic of which is the correct or best process of changing the coolant. I just wanted to know is this normal (for the Gold coolant) and/or is this the reason for a Coolant Filtration System, and if I have enough room for the system, where to get a complete kit from, at a good price?
Just for the curious people, I just had to changed the thermostat. I removed the bottle cleaned it out, I then filled and drained the coolant system three times while running the engine without the thermostat, each time letting it drain by removing the radiator plug, I then replaced the thermostat with the 203*, and around belt upper hose, replaced the coolant with the gold Motorcraft (already charged) coolant , checked it with a coolant gauge.
My album; past and present projects:http://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/70P5m7-mytmousef350
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolant4.JPG (427.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg coolant3.JPG (251.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg coolant2.JPG (256.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg coolant1.JPG (309.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg room for filter.JPG (650.5 KB, 15 views)

02'F350CrewLB-Tuk-it retract cap-AirHorns-rmt strt/alm-GarminGPS-SiriusSAT- LineX-ton LED'Sw/side run light/blinker mod-Golight remoteSPOT-BANKS POWER PACKw/Pwr elbow,Gauges/pillar,Trans cm-Bilsteins-Steering Stab-Michelin LTX M/T-Zoodad Mod-Donaldson Air w/fender mod-6.0transCoolermod-AIS-AIH-CCVmod-Marinco plug-Deeptrans pan-airbagsw/comp.-AMSoil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
PSN Local

Re: Gold Motorcraft coolant/Coolant Filtration System?

You wont have that stuff in there after a few months running a bypass coolant filter.

Looks just like sand and whatever else is in for the ride with the coolant. Wait until you cut apart the first coolant filter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 07:51 PM
PSN Veteran

I would say you have some thing else going on other than dirt. Looks like fuel or oil mixing in the coolant. That sludge floating on the top is far from normal engine dirt!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 PM
PSN Veteran

the top layer does look like oil in the water.

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Like I mentioned, it does mix up when stirred/mixed up, as if it was flowing in the truck. Then it looks like all one. I never dealt with the Gold Motorcraft coolant before. I was wondering if that is part of the process of the Gold coolant properties.

These are pics after I stirred it up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolant5.JPG (638.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg coolant6.JPG (463.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg coolant7.JPG (542.2 KB, 3 views)

02'F350CrewLB-Tuk-it retract cap-AirHorns-rmt strt/alm-GarminGPS-SiriusSAT- LineX-ton LED'Sw/side run light/blinker mod-Golight remoteSPOT-BANKS POWER PACKw/Pwr elbow,Gauges/pillar,Trans cm-Bilsteins-Steering Stab-Michelin LTX M/T-Zoodad Mod-Donaldson Air w/fender mod-6.0transCoolermod-AIS-AIH-CCVmod-Marinco plug-Deeptrans pan-airbagsw/comp.-AMSoil
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM
PSN Local

I guess it could be, but I assumed it was already investigated after he took the sample and concluded it was a ton of sand...

I did read "it settles" so I might have misunderstood what actually settles? If that crap settles to the bottom, there's no way it could be oil or fuel?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 02:14 AM
PSN Local

You sure that's not Lemonade?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode