How accurate are the OEM sensors? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

How accurate are the OEM sensors?

How reliable do you think the exhaust back pressure sensor, and map sensor are? Mainly in accuracy. Ive been thinking quite a bit about back pressure vs boost, (and no, I dont make any power) But Im about to replace the injectors with ACs, and possibly a gtp38r if necesary. Everyone seems to say the ratio of back pressure to boost gets high on the OEM turbo, but at 24 psi, pulling a trailer up a hill tonight, AE told me both were at 40psi (includeing the 14.7psi for ambient) And my mechanical boost gauge agreed, at 24psi. They both also agree with key on, engine off (ebps and map) Seems mostly its in a 1:1 ratio upto 24 psi (other then when initially spooling up). I didnt go above 24, because I dont have a map fooler, but are my results skewed information from the ODB port? The only mods to the turbo and exhaust would be the ATS housing, and HFO, and a 4 inch exhaust. Oppinions?

DRW and tow fast parts.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: How accurate are the OEM sensors?

22 views and nobody has an oppinion?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 View Post
22 views and nobody has an oppinion?
My AE showed different readings than a scan tool. The AE readings seemed high, and the scan tool read the same as the gauge

99 F350 CCLB

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Im interested in knowing how they compare to someone who installed an external back pressure gauge, and a boost gauge (I obviously have a boost gauge) I just remember CSIPSD and a few others saying how excessive the exhaust back pressure was significantly higher then boost by almost two times, even at 25 psi. Is my truck a freak, or is the data Im getting skewed by the pcm, or is the location of the ebps bad for this data, or are the sensors just not that accurate in this region? The map seems to agree with my boost gauge. This is the main reason I ask, Im curious if the ebps is accurate.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM
PSN Local

If both sensors are reading ambient pressure (~14.7 PSI) key on engine off then you can assume that they are reading correctly when under pressure. I think people routinely overstate the drive vs boost pressure differences.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Well thats interesting enough. So maybe the stock turbo would do ok with AC's? I was pretty concerned about what other people had said about back pressure vs boost, but Im not seeing that. I know so many say how good the gtp38r is, but these results just made me kinda wonder. The truck will never be a racer, mainly looking for efficiency.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode