need some tips for a truck pull - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

need some tips for a truck pull

hi i am entering my first truck pull in a couple weeks at the local fair. i have never pulled before. my truck has 3 inch lift nappa 6637 filter straight pipe and sct programmer. i was wondering if i could get some tips. i have a auto trans. im not sure if i should start out in drive 1st 2nd or what and if i should have it in four low or hi and anything else that would help thanks

early 99 powerstroke ext cab long bed lariat. auto trans. 2 inch shackle lift. napa air filter mod. sct tuner with custom tunes from innovative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: need some tips for a truck pull

I used 4 low second. 4 low third would be ideal but impossible for these auto trucks. I dont floor it right off the line. I usually go about 1/4 - 1/3 throttle to start until some momentum is built up then floor it and hold it till the flag guy tells you to stop unless you're getting really bad wheel hop then let off some to stop the hop and get back into it. Also memorize a dummy list because you will be so nervous/excited you'll probably forget something. Try to max out your weight for your class by putting stuff in the bed and tying it down. You would be in work stock class so check your events rules before you go. The only way to really learn your own way is by doing it. Everyone does something's different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 7.3 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat
4"dp 5 inch pipes to dual 8 inch stacks (summer)
4" turbo back dual axle dumps (winter)
PHP Hydra (loaded)
Edge insight CTS monitor w/ eas system
17 ton d-ring with solid polished titanium hitch
80% over rosewood injectors
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok thanks dsberman94 do you think i should hold the break and build boost up then go? and the only rules i know of is you cant have your front end tied down and no weights upfront and you cant exceed 8500lbs

early 99 powerstroke ext cab long bed lariat. auto trans. 2 inch shackle lift. napa air filter mod. sct tuner with custom tunes from innovative

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 AM
PSN Veteran

No don't build it up on a stock class and Trans. Do as he said. Just get the truck moving and then let her eat.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 AM
the stryker god

You're gonna get embarrassed, I suggest you just watch
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 AM
PSN Veteran

if you had a built trans then you could build it a little but definitely not on a stock trans. even if your nowhere near the top of the board just have fun. dont take #### from other people seriously. its obviously your first pull anyway so just have fun. everyone has to start somewhere and sometime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 7.3 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat
4"dp 5 inch pipes to dual 8 inch stacks (summer)
4" turbo back dual axle dumps (winter)
PHP Hydra (loaded)
Edge insight CTS monitor w/ eas system
17 ton d-ring with solid polished titanium hitch
80% over rosewood injectors
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
there may be some truth to this...

but also go to powerstroke army and ask..there are a few pullers I know over there.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ya i know ill get embarrased i just wanted to do it for fun i know i wont get anywheres near a full pull just wanna see what the truck can do

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i also have a sled pull tune from innovative diesel that locks the torque converter in that i am going to use to

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
Dont be an ass... I pulled my first sled in a bone stock 97... It was fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by early 99 powerstroke View Post
ya i know ill get embarrased i just wanted to do it for fun i know i wont get anywheres near a full pull just wanna see what the truck can do
You might be supprised. Every class and weight is set up differant as to how the weight slides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by early 99 powerstroke View Post
i also have a sled pull tune from innovative diesel that locks the torque converter in that i am going to use to

4 low, 2 gear...

Lift if you hop, other wise enjoy.

If you can easily block the rear so it cant sag. You can use some 2x2 metal tubing pretty easy.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode