Data Logger ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Coming For You

Send a message via Yahoo to "THE DEMIZE"
Data Logger ?

I have been thinking of investing in a data logger. I whant to run 8 pyro's on each cylinder when I get my headers. Does anyone know what all I can read with these thing's other then the EGT's ? What doesa system like this run on the market ?

thanks steve

97 F-350 cc lb 4x4
Swamps,Carson,Beans,Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:39 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever
Re: Data Logger ?

A good base system usually starts at $1000 to get started, that is with either 1 or 2 pyros. You can pretty much read just about anything with them as long as you can get the sensors and have the allowable ports for them. Then just program your parameters for you sensor range vs voltage input.

Some goods ones are RPM Pro and Corsa

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:42 PM

The same thought crossed my mind a few years ago. This was the site that I was looking to purchase from. http://www.arc-2.com/Merchant2/merch...egory_Code=EGT . . . Hope this helps.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

A question...

If your tuning ability does not include any means of "trimming" cylinders, why would you want to read egt of each cylinder? That would only be useful if you had a way to balance them back out. Otherwise..... you can just be painfully aware of any imbalance that may exist with absolutely no way to ever effect it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:30 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

It would be a little overkill for finding a miss.

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM
PSN Local

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Coming For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A question...

If your tuning ability does not include any means of "trimming" cylinders, why would you want to read egt of each cylinder? That would only be useful if you had a way to balance them back out. Otherwise..... you can just be painfully aware of any imbalance that may exist with absolutely no way to ever effect it.
I herd from a local shop that you could read more then just egt's, basically the way I understood it was if it has a sensor it can be read ? Thats what I was told and I havnt herd much about these types of systems so im in the dark on this one. The reason for reading each cylinder is im just whanting more of a outlook of what the engine is doing possibly learn from it ? would this Possiblyhelp when a injector is going bad, possibly give a warning before hand?. I was just wondering what people's input would be on this type of system. So charles is there really no reason to run this type of system on a truck ? no pro's

thanks steve

97 F-350 cc lb 4x4
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by "THE DEMIZE" View Post
I herd from a local shop that you could read more then just egt's, basically the way I understood it was if it has a sensor it can be read ? Thats what I was told and I havnt herd much about these types of systems so im in the dark on this one. The reason for reading each cylinder is im just whanting more of a outlook of what the engine is doing possibly learn from it ? would this Possiblyhelp when a injector is going bad, possibly give a warning before hand?. I was just wondering what people's input would be on this type of system. So charles is there really no reason to run this type of system on a truck ? no pro's

thanks steve

Don't know. My PCS datalogs everything I'm interested in. I was just wondering, if you saw an imbalance in the egt's what could you do about it? With some engine management units you can actually trim individual cylinders.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 AM
ARMY bound

With no ablility to change each cylinder, it might be info you don't wanna know
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Coming For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Don't know. My PCS datalogs everything I'm interested in. I was just wondering, if you saw an imbalance in the egt's what could you do about it? With some engine management units you can actually trim individual cylinders.
Could this help in building the next engine ? I'm just throwing thing's out to learn more about what I could use this for. Would this be able to tell me what cylinder is getting shorted in fuel/oil ? sorry If I'm just rambling on but I'm just curious. To answer the question on an imbalance in egt's probly nothing from my understanding.

97 F-350 cc lb 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode