bypass oil centrifuge setup? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

bypass oil centrifuge setup?

Hey guys, so I've been toying with the idea of adding a bypass oil filter system to try and extend my oil changes abit. Along with that I would rather use a centrifuge system for better oil cleaning and no need for replacement filters. I found some info on a home built setup from a duramax forum
Built my own bypass oil centrifuge for under $160...... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

And after some searching i found this unit which looks like it would do the job.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=190764714276

With a simple mount and some flex lines like I have seen on here for a standard bypass filter that thread into the factory filter housing and the block right beside it should be the ticket as long as theres enough restriction to keep the pressure up in the oil system.

What do you guys think, im sure theres a few out there with a centrifuge oil system, this could probably be done for under 200, and pretty much be a lifetime setup once done. And once youve omitted 1 or 2 oil changes it wuld have paid for its self

E99 f350 lariat scsb 7.3L auto, 8" lift, 37" toyos, 4" diamond exhaust, boost and egt gauges, bullydog gt, dp f6, L99 rear seat swap, K&N cold air kit, more to come

88 5.0L gt 5spd convertable, lowered, 17's, flowmasters, centerforce clutch, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 PM
the stryker god

Re: bypass oil centrifuge setup?

I think oil shears before it gets dirty so IMO its not worth it
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 PM
OBS Stroker

Oil filter, ELF7405, Donaldson - Ryder Fleet Products

I'm not sure if this giant bypass filter fits on the super duty (I run them on my obs trucks).
They are massive, hold some extra oil, and have a built in bypass filter. It's the best way to go (I'm assuming it will fit the super duty, maybe somebody will chime in that is running one)

1997 F250 ECSB, 140Kmiles, 3.55's, 5 spd, Sht throw, S.B. dd clutch, Rosewood 238/100, Adrenaline, S468, irate mount, ARP studs, 910 springs, smith bros. p/r, 4" MBRP, AFE Stg 2, BDP tunes, Termi Scan gauge, Swamps IDM, intercooled, BDP fuel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250, CCSB, swamps idm, 3" dp, 3.5" cat delete, 38gal rear tank.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodge View Post
Oil filter, ELF7405, Donaldson - Ryder Fleet Products

I'm not sure if this giant bypass filter fits on the super duty (I run them on my obs trucks).
They are massive, hold some extra oil, and have a built in bypass filter. It's the best way to go (I'm assuming it will fit the super duty, maybe somebody will chime in that is running one)
saw this in the Comments about Donaldson Oil filter ELF7405:

"I use this filter on my 02 F-350 w/7.3L Diesel. Love the filter, both for the micron rating and the larger filter element. Only caution: If you have weak/saggy springs, a hard bump (in my case with a plow on) you could hit the filter on the stabilizer bar. Only happened once when I was plowing, but I have since put HD springs on and no more issues."

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 PM
International Coal Roller

I ran one for a while, it fits and holds that extra quart of oil, as long as you have a leveling kit or lift kit you shouldn't have any clearance problems, the filter definitely kept the oil cleaner, bit it was just as wore out after 5k miles

02 250 CCLB, 6 spd, PHP Phoenix, ISSPROs, AFE/6637 intake, 4" DE straight exhaust, WW, coolant filter with ELC, AIH delete, ebpv delete, bellowed uppies, 4" on 35's and racelines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Administrator

My take and opinions

that Donaldson link says 15 micron
Quote:
Efficiency 99%: 15 Micron
Primary Application: CAT ENGINES
a typical bypass like My FS2500 is 2-3 depending on what filter you choose

soot won't be removed enough to change the color of the oil to golden at anything above 3 in my experience not that that is a big deal but the OEM is 10 micron IIRC so why add a 15 micron unless thats a typo ?

I looked at centrifuge types for fun one day but just figured the oil psi taken away from the motor would be too great for a system like ours so I dismissed it without really doing any real research

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Village Idiot

thw only one I have seen was for a duramax..
I like the fs2500 not sure what the long term gains or cons are but so far they seem to be good. I am still looking at that system.

2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Village Idiot

the Donaldson
15 microns absolute (98.7%)
7 microns nominal (50%)

the fl 1995
Traps at least 98% of particles 18 microns or larger from your oil"
haven't found an official rating.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 PM
PSN Veteran

I just temporarily disconnected the fs2500 due to the line connections all rotting out and leaking oil. I might plug it all back in soon but after finding the filter elements are about $30 from the company I'm holding off a little bit. My oil will be broken down before I hit the 30k miles to change all the elements. Ill sell the filter housing for the fs2500 with no lines if anybody is interested.

F250 7.3 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat
4"dp 5 inch pipes to dual 8 inch stacks (summer)
4" turbo back dual axle dumps (winter)
PHP Hydra (loaded)
Edge insight CTS monitor w/ eas system
17 ton d-ring with solid polished titanium hitch
80% over rosewood injectors
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:32 PM
'05 Excursion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealwithit View Post
Hey guys, so I've been toying with the idea of adding a bypass oil filter system to try and extend my oil changes abit. Along with that I would rather use a centrifuge system for better oil cleaning and no need for replacement filters. I found some info on a home built setup from a duramax forum
Built my own bypass oil centrifuge for under $160...... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

And after some searching i found this unit which looks like it would do the job.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=190764714276

With a simple mount and some flex lines like I have seen on here for a standard bypass filter that thread into the factory filter housing and the block right beside it should be the ticket as long as theres enough restriction to keep the pressure up in the oil system.

What do you guys think, im sure theres a few out there with a centrifuge oil system, this could probably be done for under 200, and pretty much be a lifetime setup once done. And once youve omitted 1 or 2 oil changes it wuld have paid for its self
You need a MINIMUM of a one inch drain on these type of filters with NO ninety degree bends, and can NOT have a liquid level in the drain line, meaning the drain tube outlet can't be submerged in liquid. There's others which are self powered but obviously very problematic. 50000MileOil.com

Like already stated, soot and solids that are in your oil is not really the big reason you change your oil on a relatively frequent basis, its the the number of corrosive byproducts that accumulate in your oil like acids, carbonic acid, nitric acid, etc, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode