Please explain "stall speed" to me? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Please explain "stall speed" to me?

I have been fighting a issue with low speed take off... Ever since I had the tranny rebuilt. I am really thinking its an issue with the stall speed on the Suncoast TC I have. I would say its too low a stall speed, but maybe I have it backwards?

Red light turns green, stab it... wait...wait (all the time smoking like a freight train) wait... BANG! Takes off like a bat out of hell, smoke clears and I am off.

Does this with Jodys chip, does it with Tadds Chip, does it with Davids chip...

Dont recall it ever doing this with the old tranny. Any way to tune around this?

This thread really got me thinking about this...

https://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=21854

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Smarty Power!

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
Re: Please explain "stall speed" to me?

Have you talked to any of the tuners about it? Not saying that it is or isn't tuning, but have you talked to them?

Who did the rebuild? Might ask them what converter they put in it...I'm not a trans guru, but I THINK the converter is too loose. Don't quote me, though.

Jarrett Matthew

04.5 QCSB auto common rail
Smarty TnT; ISSPRO PERFORMAX
Suncoast full billet
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Its a Suncoast full billet... With a suncoast TC...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:28 PM
PSN Veteran

not a trans expert either (stock trans still lol) but definitely sounds like what john deere said, loose converter, ask the guys at suncoast about it

1997 ford f350 crew cab long bed powerstroke diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

265k miles

New DD:
2001 Jetta TDI 141k miles
Stock for now.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:20 PM
PSN Local

Should've gone BTS?

Bart

RDRCM #52
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
Should've gone BTS?

Ya, sure... thats the problem, its not a BTS...

If there is any problem its with the TC... It shifts better then any BTS tranny I have ever driven... Kainers liked it more then his BTS...

I am asking about stall speed...

Joe
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
PSN Local

You're the man then.

Bart

RDRCM #52
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

No, the converter is too tight. Some tranny guys are ALL ABOUT trying to drop the G'damn stall speed. It will KILL your truck's ability to get out of the hole. It will not let the rpm come up enough to light the charger, or really do much of #### except smoke like hell.

If the converter was too loose the rpm would be high, it would sound like it was winding, but it damn sure wouldn't be smoking more than it should. It would be clean as a whistle, just have heinous tranny temps if you didn't get it locked up quick.

As far as I know, stall is the rpm where the discrepancy between the crankshaft and input shaft should stabilize, such than with increased application of torque, the variance will not grow any farther, barring any severe increase in torque output like a stage of spray that could "flash" farther into the stall speed.

A "looser" converter will allow more variance between crank and input shaft for any given torque input than a "tighter" converter will.

Yours is too tight, or the "stator" is possibly F'ed in some way.

You do not EVER want to go below "stock" stall on these trucks. They will become in instant dog.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No, the converter is too tight. Some tranny guys are ALL ABOUT trying to drop the G'damn stall speed. It will KILL your truck's ability to get out of the hole. It will not let the rpm come up enough to light the charger, or really do much of #### except smoke like hell.

If the converter was too loose the rpm would be high, it would sound like it was winding, but it damn sure wouldn't be smoking more than it should. It would be clean as a whistle, just have heinous tranny temps if you didn't get it locked up quick.

As far as I know, stall is the rpm where the discrepancy between the crankshaft and input shaft should stabilize, such than with increased application of torque, the variance will not grow any farther, barring any severe increase in torque output like a stage of spray that could "flash" farther into the stall speed.

A "looser" converter will allow more variance between crank and input shaft for any given torque input than a "tighter" converter will.

Yours is too tight, or the "stator" is possibly F'ed in some way.

You do not EVER want to go below "stock" stall on these trucks. They will become in instant dog.

Thank you Charles, thats exactly what I was thinking. I had someone else mention that to me when I got the Tranny and TC from Suncoast. I will give them a call and see if they have fixes for it.

Joe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
PSN Veteran

What Charles said, but your 3.73 gears and 37" tires aren't helping either. Just more initial weight/resistance to get moving in a low RPM, low power situation.

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode