Planning Big Rebuild, Friendly advice welcome! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Planning Big Rebuild, Friendly advice welcome!

Hi all. Just turned 21 a couple days ago(Not a drinker, i have to much to lose) and I attend college for mechanical engineering. Been saving up and planning for awhile. This winter I would like to rebuild of the powertrain on my 98 f-350 Dually (2wd). I have some questions that i can only find answers that scratch the surface maybe yall can help with. Input from those that have real world experienced would be nice.

The master plan is to build a compound turbo setup that is tow friendly and have some power. It's journeys consist of mostly street driving not towing 30 miles at a time, but sometime sees 300-500 mile roadtrips with 10k lb. Towing consists of 1/4 of the miles. A reliable 500rwhp on a nice tow tune with low boost is desired and i don't believe that's not realistic when done correctly.

Turbos:
I want to go with Irates t4 mount, have read nothing but great things about Jake at Irate. As far as turbos go I was leaning to borgwarner 66 for the hp turbo and somewhere in the 80's for the lp. NOT SURE on that yet. I know BW makes a kit for compounds but i don't mind doing the fab work for the second turbo and saving the money. I planned on running wastegates on both, preset the hp turbo wastegate for 30psi and run an electronic boost controller for the lp turbo wastegate so i can change it depending on the tune for reliability, towing, and street-ability.

Fuel:
I want to run twin walbro fuel pumps and a 5/8 pickup because its; simple, cheap, and effective. I saw fuelabs stuff and its cool but its a couple hundred more to run it. Gonna do my own filter setup. I was thinking 250/200 would do the trick, anymore than that i really didn't think would be friendly for street driving.

Oiling:
Going to go with the 17 degree hpop but am thinking about running the twin pumps. NOT sure how well packaging would work with the t4 mounted turbo but i didn't know if two hpops was truly necessary. Probably more efficient for injectors, experienced input on this would be nice.

Rods:
Planned on buying carillo forged rods though its the biggest dent in the "Budget" if you could call it that . I am thinking the $2700 would easily be worth peace of mind when its together.

Pistons:
Big kicker here. I have found many threads about cutting/ coating lowering cp of mahle pistons. I may call a few engine builders I'm friends with from drag racing that also build pulling motors and discuss with them. I am building the motor but have to outsource any kind of machine work. Input about lowering cr would be helpful. I am knowledgeable about gas stuff but I would love words from the wiser that have played with the stuff. Input from tuners would be useful.

Gaskets:
Would like to keep boost under 70 somewhere around the 60 relm for reliability and the fact that i would not like to put multiple sets of head gaskets in it. I've read up on fire rings but i read they are not really intended for street use. We use fel-pro on all of our big inch high hp ford motors(588 Big block nitrous ford makes 1100hp on nuts and spray 800hp though 1 system, and a 582 procharged big block ford that makes 2300hp @ 30psi) and have never ran into issues. Input from those running or ran 45-60 psi on non-stock gaskets that street drive?

Trans:
The 4r100 will be rebuilt, 6L trans cooler and deep pan, triple disk converter, billet flywheel. Anybody experience issues with input/intermediate/output shaft breakage at certain power levels? Just trying to figure out the leakest winks.

I am hoping a few tuners can chime in here and share their advice, setups they have already played with that they have tunes for or something relatively close. I run a ts chip and will most likely have that reburned.

I don't want this to turn in to a huge debate, just some Friendly input please

Jimmy

Darkhorse: E99 F-350 SD Dually, RWD, 4r100, 4inch, K&N intake, TS stock tunes, 05 conversion, Murdered, Irate mounted S468fmw, SRP 1.1, ARP, regulated return, water/meth
Fearmont: 79 Ford Fairmont, X275 drag radial car, BES 574ci A-headed Ford, ATD 2 speed Turbo 400, Menscer's, 9.5in Duco rearend, 1 stage nitrous. 4.60's @ 153mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Planning Big Rebuild, Friendly advice welcome!

Really no need for twins if only going for 500HP. It would be cool but way over kill for that goal. You would probably end up building the entire mount system for those as well just due to how and were you mount everything. For $2700 you better be getting billet rods and not forged. OEM gaskets are about the best, someone else please chime in if not.

Check out the motor Beans just built, its posted up on here, 650 HP single turbo with 300/200 injectors. Tow rig, racer/puller, daily driver.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM
PSN Veteran

You might check out swamps for rods. They sell and use Manley. Bout 400$ cheaper than Carrillo

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Rods, twins and dual HPOP's for 500hp... Come on man...

Skip the Walbro's... Junk Junk Junk. I've gone thru three of them now in less then 30k. If you want to run dual pump set up just get two bosch pumps (factory replacements...)

Riffraff Diesel: Bosch Electric Fuel Pump

As to 500hp...

230/100 or 250/200 hybrids
17* HPOP
studs and springs
66mm turbo of your choice (I like the modded H2e, but there are lots of choices out there)...

Done.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Figured you would enjoy this one csipsd lol

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 AM
the stryker god

Everything in my sig is used. I call it the budget build. 800$ forged rod engine that I parted the stock stuff out to recoop some money, used h2e for 1500, used headers for 600, used injectors for 1500 and kept my cores. I did pony up for the bts though because trannys ain't something to skimp on. Its a pretty solid set up. Could it blow? Sure but long blocks are pretty plentiful.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 12:45 PM
PSN Veteran

im with the other guys on here don't through your money into rods instead put that towards a bts. that will pay about half of the cost. personnaly I wouldn't waste money on a compound setup either. especially not for a sub 500hp 2wd tow truck. I would do the t4 setup then a nice single and then some 238/100 sticks, studs and springs. no need for all the other stuff. myself I like to be closer to 400hp than 500hp on my reliable daily driver/tow truck. just my preference. ive had 2 trucks at around 500hp (one 7.3 one 12v.) and 2 under 400hp. and to be hounest the 2 at 400hp or just under 400 are better on mpg, tow better, didn't cost near as much to build and are still just as fun when I put the hammer down. is there a reason your shooting for 500? cause if you haven't driven an hounest 400 to 450hp 7.3 you need to because it aint no slouch that's for sure.

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I appreciate the input!

The goal of this is to EASILY make 500rwhp on an easy tune-up. I know as hp and tq goes up dependability goes down. So i wanted to be able to "Detune it" for towing and whatnot. 500*1.2 (for roughly 20 Percent lost in drivetrain) = 600hp at the flywheel. I know thats easy to obtain with a single turbo but from research i have read and talked to folks (Not on here) that compounds are street and tow friendly. I understand everybodys reasoning for thinking it two are overkill but i'd like to make closer to 700rwhp or low to mid 800 flywheel on a hot tune up.

Im not really "in search" for a hp number, persay. The quest is to make a mid 12-13 second truck that can also be used as a truck.

jtgf250: I appreciate the input. i checked out the build beans just did and really dig it.
Barnhartel: thank you for the heads up.
csipsd: always so brutal, lol. but your advice is always solid. thank you for the recommendation on the bosch pumps
bruce51d: yea i have my eyes open in the classifieds, goings to be stocking up for winter, hope to find some good used stuff as well. as far as turbos go they are so cheap i was going to buy them new. borgs are from 700-1300 new. any reason for h2e over borg?
jaybuller: I have had some fast street cars but not a 7.3. In highschool i hosnestly drove (What is my fathers and my racecar now) a sleeper 79 bbf ford fairmont on the street that went high 8's with a small shot, that turned into a whole nother story. But basically i know what it feels like to get moving good. Thats why i want to build this truck.

Darkhorse: E99 F-350 SD Dually, RWD, 4r100, 4inch, K&N intake, TS stock tunes, 05 conversion, Murdered, Irate mounted S468fmw, SRP 1.1, ARP, regulated return, water/meth
Fearmont: 79 Ford Fairmont, X275 drag radial car, BES 574ci A-headed Ford, ATD 2 speed Turbo 400, Menscer's, 9.5in Duco rearend, 1 stage nitrous. 4.60's @ 153mph
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I suppose its a possibility i could save the money, do 1 turbo, and spray it...

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 PM
the stryker god

So is this truck a SD or an obs? They didn't make a 98. Well if you want that kind of power is suggest pis 300/200's and an s468, srp1.1. It just seems silly to dump so much into a 2wd dually. I mean they make great tow pigs but a tow pig makes 380 horse. If you can fan the compounds, I'd do 66/83 compounds. Hell you should just buy the truck in the classifieds. It already has all that crap done to it for 25k. You couldn't do it for that price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode