drop in k & n dont just say there bad(explain) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

drop in k & n dont just say there bad(explain)

Alright guys whats the deal with the drop in K & N filters bein bad on these motors? I have a 2002 7.3 with the stock air box. now i can see that the stock air box seals off completely around this filter and the air will have to go through the k&n so whats so bad, K&N says over 99% at stoping dirt so whats the deal? is there another drop in that is better? i want to keep the stock airbox set up so a drop in is my option. i can see if mabey you didnt oil the k&n prperly that it might let a lot of dirt though. but anyways let me know what yall know bout the k&n drop in.

2000 f250 ECSB Dually 4.10s 305/70/16, 4x4 7.3 zf6 200k miles
Php hydra chip PHP tuned! 4" exhaust, stock turbo(ww2, turbomaster wastage actuator, gutted ebpv), FRX, 160/30 sticks SB 1939-CB single clutch, home brew water setup for when i'm pulling hay through the mountains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: drop in k & n dont just say there bad(explain)

Well, 99% isn't right, it's more like 96%. this causes a sandblasting of the turbo and motor. This is why they're generally not recommended.
On top of that, the 6637 is cheaper and better filtration.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

They're bad.

Actually someone did a really big private study on air filters a while back. Pretty sure that's where everyone is getting their info about the poor filtering qualitys of the K&N. I'll have to see if I can find it. I've also seen a mechanic or two talk about the dusted motors they've seen using the K&N.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Super Hauler!

They do suck...I have seen a dusted motor and intercooler with 2 different types of K&N filters with oil, wouldnt recommend them, Put a tymar filter on!

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Village Idiot

First of all the 99% rating is coarse dust. You have to look a little deeper to see what is actually getting by. My opinion is that most of the problems people have with K&N drop-in filters comes from improper installation. I have used them on 3 different gas engines with no problems. K&N instructs you to use white grease on the sealing surface and 99% of the people install them dry.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
OBS junkie

Wix 6637 the $50 or less fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Banned

The problem with K&N???

Is the POS stock air box. I've been running a K&N filter on my truck for a long, long, long time.

I have never noted anything that was worn from any sort of lack in air filtration. My compressor wheels always look just like they did when I got them. Cylinder wall wear was a non-issue when my engine was torn down last year after having run a K&N for over 180,000 miles. I'm a General Contractor on the jobsite every day too. The entire inside of my truck is covered in dirt. I think you could grow corn on my dash before I break down and clean it each time.

I think a lot of people like to worry about things that don't make a damn.

Get rid of the stock airbox because it's the biggest piece of sh*t on the planet. I put the donaldson box on the wife's excursion (Aka Ford AIS). I think it's about the best filtration you'll find if you want to get super anal about it.

Otherwise, put a filter on there and rock out. Just make sure you throw that stock box as far from yourself as possible first, and you'll be fine.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Agreed, get rid of the stock box...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Caption This

I've had two oil analysis done on my truck. One was at 50,000 miles and the other was at 75,000 miles. Both times the oil had about 3,600 miles on it. The highest iron or silicon I've had was 4 ppm. That was with a stock air box and a stock filter.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 AM
PSN Veteran

One of the major issues is the stock box but that is compounded by the rubber surround of the K+N. The rubber is too hard to seal correctly. Thus the grease they tell you to use. The grease closes those voids. I have personally had two SD's come in (to our shop) with drop in K+N's with junk engines due to dirt ingestion.

I also don't like holding a cleaned and oiled filter to the sun and see the large holes in the media that the sun shines through. I also don't care to wait and hour or more for a filter to dry so I can reoil and drive my truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode