Looking for a turbo - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Looking for a turbo

Ok my turbo is starting to go out. I have a 2001 250 that is stock with a superchips programmer. I'm looking to the after market for a new turbo. This is my daily driver and will tow 20,000 lbs total weight time to time. I want more power and still looking for reliability. Any help or input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:01 AM
Village Idiot

Re: Looking for a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineland99 View Post
Ok my turbo is starting to go out. I have a 2001 250 that is stock with a superchips programmer. I'm looking to the after market for a new turbo. This is my daily driver and will tow 20,000 lbs total weight time to time. I want more power and still looking for reliability. Any help or input is appreciated.
Budget?
Cheapest is a rebuild kit.
Since your so close to stock I would do a rebuild kit and add a ww2.
After all your stock turbo has lasted twelve or so years.
You could do a gt38r for 1350ish but may get tired of the sound.

I would look at dieselsite and look at the turbo and the wheel.

Now pm a guy on here named thug like and see what he has..
They are having a sale on tunes combined with thier version of the wheel.

Chip tunes will be twice as strong as your super chips...
A rebuild is fairly easy.. And by not having surge your turbo will last much longer. Also have a look at the 360 bearing rebuild kits.

Just my two pesos

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Bobs 7.3

Id just do a rebuild. I just did mine and with the step by step instructions its fairly straightforward. All you need is basic hand tools and a little wrenching time. Mine all together costs $310.00 including the ww2 as long as you dont have any damage from the wheel contacting the housing (Needs to be fairly worn out for that to happen).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 PM
PSN Local

do the rebuild with the ww2.

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the input, that's what I was wondering. They were trying to sell me a rebuilt stock turbo for 1,100.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 PM
the stryker god

damn, yeah if you buy a billet wheel from no limit you get half off on tunes. sweet deal
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Bobs 7.3

1,100 for a rebuilt stock turbo, hmmmm you can rebuild yours the same as they do for less then $350.00 with the ww2. Thats a big difference in savings.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs 7.3 View Post
1,100 for a rebuilt stock turbo, hmmmm you can rebuild yours the same as they do for less then $350.00 with the ww2. Thats a big difference in savings.
i was having turbo problems a while back. i talked with bob and he said they dont rebuild there turbos in house anymore. they get a remand right from garret. so depending on the supplier, this could be a very false statement. there is a big difference between REMAND and RE-RESEALED.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Bobs 7.3

You can get a full Garrett rebuild kit for $78.00 and the ww2 for $220 ish and the rebuild kits are the same exact ones Garrett uses in there rebuilds as there supplied right form Garrett themselves.The only difference is the shops can rebalance it if they do it but as I and many others on here have rebuilt theres without rebalancing them and has had no problems. Ive never saw a turbo or heard of one being sold as RE-SEALED in my life.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Good turbo rebuilders will also surface the turbine shaft and hone the center section. They will also balance the rotating assembly as one getting a better balance. I'm sure there is a few other tricks in there.

Not saying any of that has to be done for a functional rebuild. I've never done any of it on the multiple ones I've rebuilt that have never had problems. But my also haven't seen 100000 miles plus yet.

Does the extra steps add to the longevity of a turbo? I'm sure the professionals would say yes but who really knows.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode