PCM/Chip Issue NEED HELP! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
too broke to play

PCM/Chip Issue NEED HELP!

I recently fried my PCM (long story). I had a new one put in and life has been good again. I took it out today to put my chip back in, and now the main plug in the engine compartment won't plug in. No matter what I do, I can't get the plug to seat.
I've tried with and without the plastic bracket, but something in the plug or computer isn't matching up it seems.
Do any of you have any ideas or have seen this before and know a trick to get it to go. It will start but not seat.
I need my truck back on the road. This was supposed to be a simple 1 hour job that has turned into an all day problem.
Thanks for any help.
Jim

2003 F-250, CC, SB, 4x4, 7.3, 6 speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: PCM/Chip Issue NEED HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmonster View Post
I recently fried my PCM (long story). I had a new one put in and life has been good again. I took it out today to put my chip back in, and now the main plug in the engine compartment won't plug in. No matter what I do, I can't get the plug to seat.
I've tried with and without the plastic bracket, but something in the plug or computer isn't matching up it seems.
Do any of you have any ideas or have seen this before and know a trick to get it to go. It will start but not seat.
I need my truck back on the road. This was supposed to be a simple 1 hour job that has turned into an all day problem.
Thanks for any help.
Jim
My guess is the PCM is upside-down. Which side is the stamped "X" on?

~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203*TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 PM
PSN Local

damn thats odd. Heres a bump but if I were to give my own opinion I'd say the same thing as ToMang did. Any bent pins? Just take your time dont get frustrated and mess up something expensive.

IH Crate Engine,Cold Air,4" MBRP,6.5" lift,37" toyos,mx6 resis,Water meth,Stage 1s,Turbo Master,38R,6.0 CAC,6.0 trans cooler,FRx, Intank Mods,pre pump filter,AIH&EBPV deletes,Zoodad,456 yukon gears,Ladder bars,built trans,Aeroforce interceptor,quad pillar,PHP HYDRA,IH up pipes,Forged Rods

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
too broke to play

Well I got the pcm to connect enough to run, but it still seems like the plug should go in all the way. Not sure about that. Thanks for the ideas. Upside down was my first thought too. I checked and the plug only inserts one way. It was right, just doesn't look the way it should even now that it is running.

2003 F-250, CC, SB, 4x4, 7.3, 6 speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmonster View Post
Well I got the pcm to connect enough to run, but it still seems like the plug should go in all the way. Not sure about that. Thanks for the ideas. Upside down was my first thought too. I checked and the plug only inserts one way. It was right, just doesn't look the way it should even now that it is running.
I'd pull it then and check for bent pins.

~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203*TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Maybe something wedged between the connector and the PCM. Like ToMang07 pull it again and see if anything is askew.

97 F250 eclb. 265k
- Fresh engine. d60. zf5. Some other stuff...

E99 f550 213k
- starts every morning...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:42 AM
PSN Veteran

When I put mine in a get it on enough to get the bolt to start threading and use the bolt to get it the rest of the way on after screwing the PCM in where its supposed to go. Next for you would be check for bent pins as stated above.

F250 7.3 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat
4"dp 5 inch pipes to dual 8 inch stacks (summer)
4" turbo back dual axle dumps (winter)
PHP Hydra (loaded)
Edge insight CTS monitor w/ eas system
17 ton d-ring with solid polished titanium hitch
80% over rosewood injectors
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:11 AM
Village Idiot

prob a bent or misaligned pin.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM
PSN Veteran

Sometimes the rubber seal can cause problems. I usually spray a little white lithium grease on the rubber seals on all connectors to get them to seat correctly.

2001 F250 ECSB (FOR SALE)
Walker BTM

2001 F350 CCSB
Ford AIS with Zoodad mod & Sleeve
Dorman Bellowed Uppies
Autometer Factory Match
Terminator T500
Hutch and Harpooned
CCV Mod
PHP Hydra
BTS Valve Body & PI Stallion
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back
Riff Raff Billet Wheel and FRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode