Where do I start? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Where do I start?

I am looking at buying a low mileage 7.3L and doing a lot of aftermarket work over the years, except I have no idea where to start. I don't know how a Diesel engine works, and I can't find any place that explains it so that I can understand it. I want to learn, but everyone just assumes even the newbies have some background knowledge. As far as maintenance on the vehicle, I don't know how often the differential and transmission fluids should be changed and so on and so forth. Then I come here, and everyone is talking with abbreviated terms and things that I don't understand.. So I guess my question is, how can I self-teach myself all of this without destroying a vehicle in the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Where do I start?

Read the owners manual. Just saying. That's all in there. You can google the abbreviated terms. Check out the threads at the top of the performance and aftermarket section. Lots explained in there as well. Good luck

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I don't have the truck yet, and I don't want to buy a truck that is bound for failure, I need to be able to decide if the truck is in good condition or bad condition, and there's no way I can do that without knowing the questions to ask and the things to look for.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 AM
PSN Veteran

I would say if you know gas motors check for all the same things. If you are getting s 7.3 just look for does it start up good, is it leaking oil a lot, if its got oil on the motor but not dripping onto the ground i wouldnt worry about it. Other bssic things like does it shift good.. drive straight.. yada yada, its pretty self explainitory if youre semi mechanically inclined. Good luck on your purchase.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Saveall

I would suggest making sure oil pan is solid and not leaking, and making sure manifolds are not leaking, both those will expensive and hard repairs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
PSN Veteran

As said above, make sure it runs/idles descent. Not shaking badly or rpms move around a lot. Check oil leaks. On top ok and easy fixes. Make sure oil pan isn't corroded. Just remember these things cost atleast double to work on compared to gassers and an oil change is every bit of $100. Make sure its something your ready for.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
PSN Local

If you're mechanically inclined, it's fairly easy to learn all you need to know to work on a 7.3; If you're not, I wouldn't buy one unless you know a good diesel mechanic and have plenty of extra money. These are great trucks if you can do your own work, but the platform is 10-15 years old, so any 7.3 you buy will likely need something. And if you plan on doing lots of performance mods, if you can't do most of the work yourself, you're better off buying a newer vehicle - same power stock as a modified 7.3 and will be able to have work done by dealer under warantee.

2004 F350 CCLB 4x4 Dually - EGR Delete, Coolant Filter, 5" Exhaust, Evolution tuner/monitor, Leveling kit & 33's
1960 F250 4x4 - 400/C6
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Both of my parents work at the ford assembly plant and have both rebuilt gas motors before, so I think I will have them help me with the work if I have any questions. My grandpa is also a gearhead, he was a mechanic for 30 years, and I would assume he should know how to work on these trucks too. Maybe I could just take one of them with me when I go to look at a truck?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerXZX View Post
Both of my parents work at the ford assembly plant and have both rebuilt gas motors before, so I think I will have them help me with the work if I have any questions. My grandpa is also a gearhead, he was a mechanic for 30 years, and I would assume he should know how to work on these trucks too. Maybe I could just take one of them with me when I go to look at a truck?
Sounds like your family has got you covered on everything except maybe the motor. Just check it for leaks, make sure it runs smooth, & check the blowby. (Do this by pulling the oil fill cap when the motor has warmed up, then placing it upside down on the oil fill tube. If it gets blown off, the engine has problems; if it just vibrated off, it's ok) Remember that any diesel will cost almost double a gas vehicle in terms of maintenance & repairs. Also, if you are going to be modding it, consider that the 7.3 is a strong & reliable engine, but is not a platform that is easy to make high HP numbers with.

2004 F350 CCLB 4x4 Dually - EGR Delete, Coolant Filter, 5" Exhaust, Evolution tuner/monitor, Leveling kit & 33's
1960 F250 4x4 - 400/C6
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 PM
PSN Local

PSD terms. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Stock 02 F-250 7.3, auto, 4x4, CCSB, Lariat, 4" duals, 6637, zoo dad mod, 6 pos ts, mile marker lock outs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode