Overwhelmed and in need of Advice. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Overwhelmed and in need of Advice.

Hi,

My name is Dakota, I'm 17 years old and I have been driving my dads 6.0L for the past year and a half, and I absolutely love the feel and sound of a diesel engine. His 6.0L is stock, and like almost all 6.0s, has a lot of issues. I have been saving for some time, and would like to get a diesel of my own. I have looked on craigslist, and the 7.3L seems to be in my price range.

Now, with this 7.3L I would like to have a good amount of power, preferably more than the 6.0L has. I want to tune it and put a turbo back exhaust on it, along with an intake of some sort. I have been doing a lot of reading lately, and I've seen mixed opinions on how much power a 7.3L can take without harming it. I've seen some people say I should get a torque converter and such. Basically.. I want to increase the power of my truck but maintain the life of the vehicle.

I've read the "newbies wanting more power" post, and all of the abbreviations and such is not exactly "newb" friendly.. So basically I am asking someone to spoonfeed me what I need to do to increase power and maintain my vehicle life. I don't have a lot of money to work with, so try and avoid things that are super expensive.

Thanks to anyone who has the patience to put up with this Diesel noob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: Overwhelmed and in need of Advice.

Ask a question...

I dont see any particular question in your post.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

I would not even go that far with it...

Exhaust and gauges, drive it...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM
PSN Veteran

The more power you add the quicker stuff with high miles on it is gonna break. Transmission will cost you 2500$ minimum. Realize that just an oil change is gonna cost you a lot more than a car.
I'm glad I didn't have a diesel at your age. I couldn't have afforded it.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
PSN Local

I agree 100% with what CSIPSD said, get gauges, intake, and exhaust, and then drive it, get to know the truck and make sure its 100% before you chip it. guages will be a good way to troubleshoot how your engine is doing

4" exhaust anywhere from $300-$500 depending if its aluminum or stainless.
gauges should be around $400 youll want EGT, boost and trans temp. (autometer is a good start, isspro will be a little more expensive, glowshifts are cheap and really hit or miss on quality so most dont recommend them)
intake $100-$300, depending on brand ,AFE, S&B, Riffraff 6637, K&N(you dont want the drop in form K&N you want the full system)

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

I had a 78 Dodge 2500, ex forest service with primer red... I put a 12" lift on it and 44's... It was cheap, it was ugly, and we rolled it about every weekend...

Didnt have a stereo so I had a boom box on the seat with... Dont laugh... A Joe Diffy Cassette in it most of the time. "Something women like about a pickup man..."

Crap I'm old...

Joe
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 PM
PSN Veteran

My first was a 77 Chevy we called the condor because the fenders flapped when you drove it. Sported the boom box also just no cassette cause I couldn't afford it lol.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtray View Post
I agree 100% with what CSIPSD said, get gauges, intake, and exhaust, and then drive it, get to know the truck and make sure its 100% before you chip it. guages will be a good way to troubleshoot how your engine is doing

4" exhaust anywhere from $300-$500 depending if its aluminum or stainless.
gauges should be around $400 youll want EGT, boost and trans temp. (autometer is a good start, isspro will be a little more expensive, glowshifts are cheap and really hit or miss on quality so most dont recommend them)
intake $100-$300, depending on brand ,AFE, S&B, Riffraff 6637, K&N(you dont want the drop in form K&N you want the full system)
I didn't think I could run a turbo back exhaust without some sort of chip or programmer?

I was also told a K&N air filter would dust my turbo.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
PSN Local

My first is my 2000 PSD lol to us younger people, I'm 19, these trucks are what's around and a lot of them are handed down in the family after daddy goes and gets a new one. If you do your own wrenching it really isn't all that bad. After that your paying for liquid gold at the pump.

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
PSN Local

No you don't need a chip to run an exhaust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode