towing upgrades - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

towing upgrades

My Rig below is having trouble pulling my 39' foot 13k keystone raptor toy hauler. My pyrometer is on the driver side right before the up pipe. On really small hills I'm having to back off the throttle due to EGT creeping up into high 1300 range. I don't seem to see more than about 15 psi of boost by Edge CTS.

Can't afford a 38r so I will also be ordering a hydra, WW2 from diesel site or riffraff billet wheel, turbo master wastegate, non-ebpv pedastal and outlet from diesel-orings, dorman up pipes (to eliminate any possibility of leaks - lower EGT). I'm considering a 1.0 exhaust housing but worried it will have an affect on the bottom end with a WW2.

and Max a/c control (b/c its cheap and live in hot as hell texas).

Also I need a new air filter so I'll try riffraff 6637 w pre-filter

My rig - 1999.5 CC LB dually 7.3 with 4" mrbp Stainless Turbo-Back Magnaflow Exhaust, 6.0L Trans. Cooler, Foil MOD, CCV Mod, AMSOIL DIY Intake, ATS Ported Turbo Housing, Edge CTS Insight, HPX, Mag-Hytec Trans & Diff Cover, BTS V/B. A fass fuel system and regulated return w bowl delete is waiting to be put in.

by the way 6637 at riffraff are only 28.99

1999.5 CC LB dew 2wd 7.3 GTP38R, PHP hydra chip and tunes, regulated return kit w fuel bowl delete, 4" Turbo-Back Magnaflow Exhaust, Riffraf tymar intake, riffraff intercooler boot set and clamps, 6.0L Trans. Cooler, BTS V/B, Foil MOD, CCV Mod, HPX, Gauges- CS Insight, Mag-Hytec Trans & Diff Cover, new IH up-pipes, external fuel and trans filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
the stryker god

Re: towing upgrades

why don't you save sell the ported housin and use all that money you're about to spend on a STOCK turbo and buy a 38r? people who put a grand into a stock turbo baffle me.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hey Bruce allow me to explain

1. the truck came with the ATS housing

2. regardless of the turbo I need to do the pedestal and up pipes (they are leaking), and air filter

3. The only turbo parts are WW2 or like and the turbomaster about 400 compared to the best price I found of 1369.00 for a 38R

The price difference of 1000. My housing is worth 300 maybe so still a difference of 7000. For a forty-ish guy on a second career in a doctorate program currently living on student loans, that is ALOT.

Keep in mind I never plan on doing injectors, and Bob at diesel site doesn't recommend the 38R with stock injectors. (Not trying to start a debate just letting you know what he recommended for me)\

I think people have an easier time finding 200 here and there

I'm looking at about 1000 in parts now but the turbo bumps me to close to 1800... So in my particular case that is why

However if you know someone interested in a low mileage 99k ish tubo w ATS housing for 500ish please send them my way..

1999.5 CC LB dew 2wd 7.3 GTP38R, PHP hydra chip and tunes, regulated return kit w fuel bowl delete, 4" Turbo-Back Magnaflow Exhaust, Riffraf tymar intake, riffraff intercooler boot set and clamps, 6.0L Trans. Cooler, BTS V/B, Foil MOD, CCV Mod, HPX, Gauges- CS Insight, Mag-Hytec Trans & Diff Cover, new IH up-pipes, external fuel and trans filters

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Another option for you is to pick up a used van turbo for 250. Shove a rebuild kit in it for 50 and buy a wheel from riff raff. Total investment 500$

I have what you are considering buying and the last trip I made with 9000# in tow my egts were not great on the hills. I attribute that to the .84 housing and probably some to my tuning.

Van turbo has 1.15 housing and no waste gate but a larger turbine helps make up for it.
I just switched to a van turbo and put my ww2 on it. Spool up is a bit slower but egts are quite a bit lower just cruising. Haven't towed with it yet.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Slap your ATS housing on it also for a little more air. You can than prolly sell your stock turbo for 200$ so your only out 300. For a tow pig that's the way I would/ did go.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Or for a little more money do the van turbo but send your ATS housing and back plate to Columbus diesel and have them milled out for a 38r wheel. Use a 360 thrust bearing kit for rebuild. That would basically give you a sd66 but with bigger turbine. Should perform well even with stock sticks. Then when your injectors wear out you'll have a turbo that'll handle stage ones.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Bob's an idiot if he told you not to do a 38R on stock injectors... Thats exactly what Garrett designed it for.

I have a lot of respect for Bob, but if he told you that he is off his meds.

Pick up a used 38R, replace the up pipe doughnuts once you confirm they are leaking (is there soot on the up pipes?) and enjoy.

You can pick up used 38R's all day for $800-$1200 bucks. From time to time you can even get new one's for $1200 or so.

You can sell the ATS housing for $300, you can sell your stock turbo for $300+... Then you have a real turbo that will more then likely outlast the truck.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Oh look... Brand new for $1200...

Garrett GTP38R For Sale - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I pm'd him to see where he got it.

I guess the real answer is to pony up and get a 38r and don't try to get around it.

the donuts are 85 and the dormant are 200 so i'll got ahead and do them to not worry about it later.

Questions left

do I still need a turbo master waste gate or is the 38r waste gate fine? and will the non-ebpv pedestal work with the 38r and do I need a non-ebpv outlet? I have read the ford AIS intake will quiet down the 38r? Since Im towing I don't want to listen to a loud turbo for 5-6 hours a day

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM
the stryker god

another option is a super duty 66, basically a journal bearing version of a 38r. call no limit tuning and design or pm thuglike on here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode