Torque converter lockup switch? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

Torque converter lockup switch?

Hey guys, so I'm wondering everyone's thoughts are on installing a manual tc lockup switch on a 4r100 (my sig truck). I know there's what looks and sounds like a nice setup from I forget who that piggy backs the cruise functions with an auto disengage which really sounds nice. However it's about 350$, versus a switch which is 5$.... Spdiesel is who makes it. Anyways I'm thinking of adding a switch first to see how often I would actually like something different than what the tc does on it's own. They also have another option that involved some sort of exhaust brake, for an extra 30$, but that's just programming, no extra parts (no exhaust valve etc like a normal kit). So any thoughts, do's, or don'ts as far as this mod goes? Thanks guys

They actually use the ebpv for the exhaust brake.

E99 f350 lariat scsb 7.3L auto, 8" lift, 37" toyos, 4" diamond exhaust, boost and egt gauges, bullydog gt, dp f6, L99 rear seat swap, K&N cold air kit, more to come

88 5.0L gt 5spd convertable, lowered, 17's, flowmasters, centerforce clutch, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Village Idiot

Re: Torque converter lockup switch?

I have hard good things about that ..
you can make an ebp brake switch ..but on an auto you need a lockup.
this assumes you have a functional ebpv
I think joe had an sp switch years ago and liked it. with an h2e there is no valve to close.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to rig up a homemade exhaust brake system using the ebpv? Something like a push button switch with a relay (like a motor control setup) that shuts off as soon as the gas pedal is touched? I'm sure with a relay or 2 it should be do able, maybe link the tc lockup to It as well? Example of it working in my mind is, start down a grade, tap button, tc locks, ebpv closes. Using another switch on the gas pedal as soon as that is touched, the relays reset to normally open. Another idea is a separate switch to activate the system, then with a touch of the brakes the tc and ebpv close? Kinda like the nice tow/haul on a 6.0l. Any thoughts guys? I have abit of an electrical background so this stuff doesn't really phase me.

E99 f350 lariat scsb 7.3L auto, 8" lift, 37" toyos, 4" diamond exhaust, boost and egt gauges, bullydog gt, dp f6, L99 rear seat swap, K&N cold air kit, more to come

88 5.0L gt 5spd convertable, lowered, 17's, flowmasters, centerforce clutch, more to come

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Village Idiot

seems like that is how the cruise works
..soon as you touch the pedal..boom its off.

just have to be carefull about pulling to a stop with the tc locked..at low speeds I don't think it will behave well.

2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

Yah but I would want to set it up so that it works opposite of the cruise system, so that if you engage the tc lock and the ebpv while descending a grade (with the touch of a button) then when you reach the bottom of the hill you usually hit the go pedal and carry on. When the gas pedal is touched, a limit switch (either something installed like a brake light switch, or somehow a signal tapped from the factory pedal) opens the relay circuit that is holding the ebpv closed (the exhaust brake as its now being used) and unlocks the converter, unless the tc lock switch is still closed. Anyone still following my train of thought? Lol, I may have to draw this circuit out and see if I can actually make it make sense.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

ok so i found someone elses setup similar to what im thinking on another site, with a good picture. they are using hard switches tho, i would like to have something with relays that was triggerable with a switch on the gas pedal.

How to wire EBPV as Exhaust Brake - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealwithit View Post
ok so i found someone elses setup similar to what im thinking on another site, with a good picture. they are using hard switches tho, i would like to have something with relays that was triggerable with a switch on the gas pedal.

How to wire EBPV as Exhaust Brake - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
don't want anything on my go pedal but my foot...lol
maybe a vintage high beam switch.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:00 AM
PSN Veteran

Just did a transgo tugger kit. They're instructions have a pretty serious warning in it to not use engine braking(exhaust brake) in overdrive or 3rd due to the cost clutch only having 2 disks in it from the factory.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

the coast clutch? thats something totally different isnt it?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Coast clutch.......Jonathon at No Limit Tuning & Design asked me if I wanted it set up in my tuning(switching soon to his tunes) and his next question was if I had a BTS trans. Not John Woods, not billrt shafts, but a full on BTS trans. Guess bryan does something to the coast clutch assembly. Otherwise he said it'll rip the trans apart.

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode