Torque App for Android - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Diesel junkie

Post Torque App for Android

For several years people have been investing in systems from companies like Edge, SCT, Banks, Bullydog etc seeking basic monitoring of PCM parameters on the fly through your OBDII port. These monitors are usually affixed to the dash area for the long term and can cost anywhere from $300-$1000.

However, now there is another option for people wanting those same basic monitoring capabilities for less. Recently, advancements have been made in OBDII based monitoring systems for our trucks that incorporate Bluetooth devices. One of those products in particular that utilizes this technology is the Torque Pro App for Android based devices.

Rather than invest in another expensive device that only serves one purpose in a single vehicle, why not put your smart phone to work? That's right, the smart phone that you already spent a fortune on can be put to work in your truck for as little as $20.

Here is an example of only a FRACTION of the 100+ parameters this system offers to monitor:

(Pictured: Engine parameters at hot idle.)

Now I am no expert on this program, but seeing how little information there is out there for this incredible device, I at least wanted to get people talking about it! This information is all from my personal experience using it with my 2001 F250 Super Duty with the 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel.

BE AWARE, this device is NOT a replacement for systems like Auto Ingenuity or DP-Tuner's Infinity system. Those systems are capable of diagnostic tests like injector 'buzz' tests and cylinder contribution tests. This system only offers basic monitoring of vehicle parameters at this time.

BE AWARE, this device is also NOT a replacement for custom tuning software! This device is for basic monitoring ONLY!

The Torque Pro App for Android devices offers:
>>>View live OBD engine data on your Android phone - Connect to your vehicle ECU

>>>Fully customisable dashboard screens - Design your own layouts and custom dials, use your own themes

>>>Retrieve Fault Codes (DTCs) and clear Check Engine lights - View fault descriptions using the built-in databases

>>>Upload live OBD2 data to your webserver or the torque web viewer in realtime

>>>Check the performance of your vehicle with BHP / Torque / 0-60 & Quarter Mile widgets

More information about compatibility and usage can be found HERE:
Torque OBD2 Wiki

Can you use this product with your older 7.3 Powerstroke diesel? Find out HERE:
Vehicle Requirements - Torque OBD2 Wiki

Forum support from the creator of this program can be found HERE:
Torque OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle

From my personal experience with this product, I was able to monitor everything from HPOP Pressure to Transmission Fluid Temp to things like Steering Wheel Angle and ABS Speed Sensors. I was also able to map my trips via GPS on Google Earth and monitor my fuel usage as well as my speed. There are simply more parameters with this setup than I know what to do with!

There are a few minor things worth noting to this setup:
>>>There are HUNDREDS of Bluetooth OBDII devices floating around the net. I took a gamble and I bought this one after much research: CY-B06 Super Mini ElM327 v1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN-BUS Auto Scanner Tool Supports All OBD-II Protocols Compatible for OBD-II Complaint Vehicles and Bluetooth Diagnostic - Newegg.com

>>>Other recommended Bluetooth OBDII devices that work with this program can be found HERE:
Bluetooth Adapters - Torque OBD2 Wiki

>>>As you can see, Bluetooth OBDII devices range anywhere from $10-$100 with hit or miss quality. Just be aware of that if you shop for a different one than the ones in the provided links above.

>>>Do note: The bluetooth OBDII device will stay powered on, from my experience, as long as it is plugged in. It doesn't eat up that much power, but you may not want to leave it plugged in if the truck is parked for long periods.

>>>As usual with most scanners, DO NOT try to pull codes with the engine running. From my experience, it will kill the engine during the scan. That may have been adjusted in recent updates though, I haven't tried it in a while.

Other things worth mentioning:
>>>There is a free version of the Torque App for Android, but it does NOT have the support for extended PIDs for our trucks. You've gotta spring for the paid version which can be found HERE:
Torque Pro (OBD 2 Car) - Android Apps on Google Play

>>>To load the extended PIDs for the 7.3 powerstroke, load the Torque Pro App and navigate to 'Settings' -> 'Manage extra PIDs/Sensors' -> 'Add predefined set' -> select 'Ford (Incl PowerStroke).

That's it! Enjoy having more parameters at your fingertips than you will ever use. Seriously, who the heck is going to monitor things like 'Steering wheel angle' anyway?

EDIT: As far as I know, this App is available for Android based devices ONLY. There currently seems to be no plans to carry this program over to the iOS platform. However, I have heard that similar monitoring programs exist for iOS. I cannot in good faith recommend any of them though as I have no personal experience with them.
zarmo and 97Powerstroker7.3 like this.

>2001 F250 SD XCab XLT. 7.3L Powerstroke bored .030 over, reman heads, Rosewood stock sticks, T500, FrX, polished spider, gutted EBPV, 6637 filter, SCT can tunes, 4R100HD 4x4 w/ 6.0 TOC.
>1991 F250 XCab XLT Lariat. 7.3L IDI diesel, Hypermax turbo, ZF5 4x2. SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Diesel junkie

Re: Torque App for Android

Forgot to mention... If anyone else has experience with this product or have anything else to add that I may have missed, post it up!

>2001 F250 SD XCab XLT. 7.3L Powerstroke bored .030 over, reman heads, Rosewood stock sticks, T500, FrX, polished spider, gutted EBPV, 6637 filter, SCT can tunes, 4R100HD 4x4 w/ 6.0 TOC.
post #3 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Diesel junkie

Copy paste from: PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - View Single Post - What monitor is popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledDogg View Post
What year pcm that we have seems to play a part in some owners isssues. Learned alot reading that one forum thread.
Forums Ford 7.3 pidsTorque

Forums Ford 6.0L Diesel Extended PIDSTorque

Forums Ford 7.3 dieselTorque

Forums 7.3 PSD info needed.Torque

These were specific to Ford diesels going back to page 8one in the forum.

post #4 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 AM
PSN Newb

I'm glad I stumbled across the other thread where you showed that screenshot I bought torque right before i got my 7.3 and was sad to find out it wouldn't work with my truck fast fwd to the other day I saw your post and I plugged in my obd2 plug and useful info started flowing thanks for bringing this up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2002 F350 Lariat 4x4
post #5 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 AM
PSN Local

I can not locate the HPOP gauge. Loaded ford pid looked several times. Am I missing something?

Paint Outlaw Customz Pat 636-262-0097
Interior Color Change...Fibernew Matt 636-209-5550

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 AM
The Unseen Mod

Send a message via AIM to RescueF250

Is this an app you found or an app you produce ?

03 Rescue is Dead

08 Rescue - No Limit Fab, MPD, Rescue Diesel, Barder Turbo, Fuel Lab, H&S products.
post #7 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Diesel junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn7.3 View Post
I can not locate the HPOP gauge. Loaded ford pid looked several times. Am I missing something?
Look for 'Injection Control Pressure'. That should give you the HPOP pressure since the PCM gets that value from the ICP. Ironically, that was how I found my ICP was bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
Is this an app you found or an app you produce ?
I just ran across it while looking for monitoring options to replace my SCT Livewire 9600. I made a mention of it in my engine rebuild thread and a few guys seemed interested. Figured why not make a real thread for it?

post #8 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn7.3 View Post
Click on the links that I posted, especially the 6.0 diesel extended pid link. Stuff is being added regularly to the standard data base as guys create values that work, which the app creator then tests and adds.

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat
post #9 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM
PSN Veteran

Got my Newegg Blutooth OBD II adapter shipping confirmation at 10pm last night. Excited to get it. I'm thinking of getting a seperate ebay phone just to use as a monitor. Looking to see if a 7" indash radio ftom Crutchfield can be used as well(blutooth). About to be fun.

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat
post #10 of 386 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 PM
PSN Local

[QUOTE=Dave7.3;3271098]Look for 'Injection Control Pressure'. That should give you the HPOP pressure since the PCM gets that value from the ICP. Ironically, that was how I found my ICP was bad.

Great thank you!

Paint Outlaw Customz Pat 636-262-0097
Interior Color Change...Fibernew Matt 636-209-5550

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/14-7-3l-power-stroke-aftermarket-performance/218578-torque-app-android.html
Posted By For Type Date
Check Engine light...No codes - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com This thread Pingback 04-16-2016 05:12 PM