Replacement 7.3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
PMS medication required

Replacement 7.3

I have a 96 7.3 with 62K that has had a coolant leak by the oil cooler since it was new and is steadily getting worse. It was a manufacturing defect that affected the machining of the blocks during about a months time frame. I don't have the bulletin number off hand. Navistar would come to the Ford dealer and perform the repair to the block. Anyhow I'm too late on the warranty so I definitely do not want to try and get this fixed. What would be a good way to go about this? I want a late 97 or later block and heads. A crate motor or? Just looking for ideas.

96 F350 4x4 XLT 7.3 76,472 orig miles, Stage I's, Adrenaline, IDM, EBPV, Tymar intake, Banks intercooler, downpipe, gauges, TW 6 position chip, John Wood Towmaster, 1.0 turbo, WW II, Electric fuel conversion, RSK, OH console, Durn cat done run off an I can't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 PM
the stryker god

Re: Replacement 7.3

Find a good used engine and swap it in
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedown View Post
I have a 96 7.3 with 62K that has had a coolant leak by the oil cooler since it was new and is steadily getting worse. It was a manufacturing defect that affected the machining of the blocks during about a months time frame. I don't have the bulletin number off hand. Navistar would come to the Ford dealer and perform the repair to the block. Anyhow I'm too late on the warranty so I definitely do not want to try and get this fixed. What would be a good way to go about this? I want a late 97 or later block and heads. A crate motor or? Just looking for ideas.
With only 62,000 on your rig I would be doing the fix. Research what navistar did to the engines and do it yourself. Such a waste to right off an engine because of something that is fixable, that engine will run for hundreds of thousands of miles more. Don't waste it. Anyways whatever the fix may be, it can't be as hard as removing and replacing the engine!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 AM
PSN Local

^x2

1999 f350 7.3l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dp tuner 80econo flash
Mbrp-homemade stacks
Cold air intake
Gloshift gauges (marginal quality)
BB mod for 2 days (made things worse)
Fuel regulator upgrade
Wicked wheel / Turbo rebuild
3" leveling kit
07 Headlights/grill conversion

If it was the zombie apocalypse would you hop in you're 6.0 or 7.3?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Village Idiot

Lil bondo, some duct tape..she be jus rahght.....lol

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:26 AM
International Diesel Tech

I'd stay away from remans if I could.

E99 7.3***230/100 PIS sticks***swamps tuning*** 4" mbrp***t500 HPOP***6637 filter***BTS valve body***racerx torque convertor***di reg return***walbro fuel pump***20x10 fuel hostages with Nitto 305 terra grapplers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 02:22 PM
PSN Newb

With 62k miles I would try the fix for sure

2000 F250 CC SB 4x4, 7.3 diesel, 4R100, 4"lift, AIS intake, 38R Turbo, Turbonetics outlet, Swamps 200/30 Hybrids, Swamps tunes, Swamps IDM, 4" MBRP, BTS valvebody, 6.0 cooler, ISSPRO fuel press, boost, egt, trans, water temp, ScanGage, Melling Lpop, FRx, Hutch mod, spin on filter/separator, Bosch pump, DIY 3/8 fuel lines, OCR, HPx, Autoenginuity.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Swamped

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedown View Post
My last motor did this too. Got pissed off with the leak and swapped in one from a 95. Going to see if a machine shop can do a lock and stitch LNS Products Page and keep it as a spare.

2012 F350 6.7 Lariat - Stock for now
1999 F250 7.3 Lariat - Up for sale soon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Village Idiot

You can try talking to swamps...they knew some on blocks and keep a supply on hand

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode