Injector options, nozzles? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

Injector options, nozzles?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if someone might have some insight on injector nozzles and sizing. I have a 99 7.3, I'm wondering about an injector upgrade down the road. I read on here about just changing to larger nozzles for more fuel? Also would a turbo or injectors be first in order as a list of modifications? Thanks for any help/advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Billy Big Rigger

Re: Injector options, nozzles?

Do you have an Early 99 or a late 99?(Where are the powerstroke badges, and does it say "INTERCOOLED" on the airbox lid? As for Injectors, a stage 2 (160cc, 80 or 100 over) is about all you can run with stock HPOP unless going to hybrids. To run bigger injectors that are split shots you need a custom tuned chip. A bigger turbo will not help without adding more fuel(chip and injectors)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 PM
the stryker god

No way I would waste the time or money to put nozzles on a set of ad's IMO I think that a stock injectored truck with more air is more practical than a big injector truck on stock air

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

Hmm I don't have an air box lid anymore, I do have the vin # with me, but the truck is far away at the moment. I would have no problem going to single shots, if that's beneficial. I guess getting 300rwhp on the stock sticks wouldn't be a problem? Or is that pipe dreams? I do have a f5 chip for it, so an adjusted tune wouldn't be a problem. Any ideas at about what size injector/nozzle does it start to effect idle or other areas of normal engine operation? Or is that mostly in the tuning? Thanks again guys.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
the stryker god

you can make 300 on stock injectors. by more air i mean bigger turbo. you need to figure out how much hp you want to make before i can really help you
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Diesel millwright

Under 400 would be my end number down the road. That shouldn't be to much to ask of this motor and still be reliable? It does have 270k miles on it, unsure if it was ever replaced but I doubt it. I'll be plenty content with 300 for awhile, this trans was redone recently, the only info I really have at the moment is that it was upgraded when it was rebuilt (no big diesel places around here so I think it's just like a shift kit and what not) but I'm just thinking of it as a stock setup. Would 300 on the factory turbo be pushing it to far?

E99 f350 lariat scsb 7.3L auto, 8" lift, 37" toyos, 4" diamond exhaust, boost and egt gauges, bullydog gt, dp f6, L99 rear seat swap, K&N cold air kit, more to come

88 5.0L gt 5spd convertable, lowered, 17's, flowmasters, centerforce clutch, more to come
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM
PSN Veteran

A stock turbo will do 300. A little upgrade to it would be a billet wheel. If you seriously plan on going bigger though invest in an h2e. That way you can just get it modded when you go bigger.
At least that's the path I wish I took.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Swamped

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealwithit View Post
Under 400 would be my end number down the road. That shouldn't be to much to ask of this motor and still be reliable? It does have 270k miles on it, unsure if it was ever replaced but I doubt it. I'll be plenty content with 300 for awhile, this trans was redone recently, the only info I really have at the moment is that it was upgraded when it was rebuilt (no big diesel places around here so I think it's just like a shift kit and what not) but I'm just thinking of it as a stock setup. Would 300 on the factory turbo be pushing it to far?
For 400 HP...
If its a late 99 - 160/100's, 38r.
If its an early 99 - 160/100's, D66.

2012 F350 6.7 Lariat - Stock for now
1999 F250 7.3 Lariat - Up for sale soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode