Water/Meth injection questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Water/Meth injection questions

I've got a cooling mist water/meth kit on the way for my truck but I have some questions on install and setup that I hope some guys here with experience can chime in on.

Where do you install the nozzles and how far apart? I'm thinking both on the charge pipe close to where the A.I.H. used to be, but around 5" apart?

For those of you with the controller, how do you have it setup and what gives you the best milage or power etc. I plan on going with 40% meth for some extra power also, but I thought I would start at 5lbs and have full spray by 15lbs? What's the best setup for mileage gains? Also where did you guys mount the controller? I was thinking in the compartment under the middle seat that flips up in the front row of my crew cab, I never put stuff in there anyways.

What brands of WW fluid do you recommend? I have looked at a few in Walmart but they don't explicitly say they contain methanol, don't some brands contain glycolol? what about the soap in the fluid does that cause any problems?

I have been told to turn the spray off about 5 minuites before shutting down the truck to make sure water doesn't get in? Does anyone do this? anyone have problems with hydrolocking there motor from these systems? I hope sure not.

Thanks in advance! Jon

2008 F-350 CC SB Lariat, 4wd, 20x12, 35x14.5, 4" lift w/ Bags, 4" Exhaust, IC Pipe, Elbow, S&B Intake, EGR Delete, Gearhead Tunes, Hellwig Sways, Recon Ltng

2000 Corvette - JT Trim Vortech

2007 HusaberG FS650

2008 RZR - Z1 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:20 AM
Banned

Re: Water/Meth injection questions

I have the controller set to start at the highest point possible (35lbs) and wish I could set it much higher.

I don't think water should be used except for WOT runs. Pumping water through an engine all the time can't be good. I mean, it is water.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

huh.... well thanks for the "usefull" information.

2008 F-350 CC SB Lariat, 4wd, 20x12, 35x14.5, 4" lift w/ Bags, 4" Exhaust, IC Pipe, Elbow, S&B Intake, EGR Delete, Gearhead Tunes, Hellwig Sways, Recon Ltng

2007 HusaberG FS650

2008 RZR - Z1 Turbo

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiber Optik View Post
huh.... well thanks for the "usefull" information.
FWIW, you set that thing for 5lbs at start, and you run some decent sized nozzles and you could hydro that engine. The progressive controller is supposed to help bring it in slowly, but if you've ever stuck one of the nozzles on the windsheild and drivin around, it's not a very small quantity of water even at the initial onset.

Unless you want to pump liquid water onto the pistons, I would recommend spraying it at a time when there is enough intake air temp to steam it. 5psi will not produce enough heat to steam the water.

But truth be told, I'm just guessing here. It's not like I have a camera in the intake where I can see what's going on. So best of luck. Just be careful about setting such low boost levels for water to come on. Regardless of what anyone selling the kit wants to tell you.

Good Luck.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Smarty Power!

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have the controller set to start at the highest point possible (35lbs) and wish I could set it much higher.

I don't think water should be used except for WOT runs. Pumping water through an engine all the time can't be good. I mean, it is water.

Good Luck.

I wouldn't want water to kick on until it's absolutely imperative to keep EGT's cool without backing out.

Then again, I wouldn't run any methanol in my water injection system either.

Jarrett Matthew

04.5 QCSB auto common rail
Smarty TnT; ISSPRO PERFORMAX
Suncoast full billet
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Why no meth?

Have you guys seen the snow maxmpg kit?

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=65

"The MPG-MAX™ system uses a new injection management controller that allows for a small, steady spray of water/methanol to be injected across the entire power curve – even while in cruise. This provides an increase in combustion efficiency which provides more power without injecting more diesel fuel."

I'm sure they wouldn't sell a kit that is going to hydrolock a motor.

2007 HusaberG FS650

2008 RZR - Z1 Turbo
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Supercharged

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockrunner86

Its called advertising.. Inject water only when your air intake charge is hot enough to steam the water, and NO meth. Meth is a uncontrolled fuel, it isn't injected at the correct time (only enters in the air stream). If you choose to run meth only in small %'s

Quote:
Why no meth?

"The MPG-MAX™ system uses a new injection management controller that allows for a small, steady spray of water/methanol to be injected across the entire power curve – even while in cruise. This provides an increase in combustion efficiency which provides more power without injecting more diesel fuel."

99.5 F-350 6-speed Daily Driver/Tow Rig.

Engine - Empire Diesel Performance

Air - Empire Diesel Performance Compounds Procharger Primary / Garrett 38R Secondary

Oil- Swamps Gen-3

Fuel - B-codes
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why no meth?

Then give them a call, order a kit and stop wasting time asking questions here.

Quote:
I've got a cooling mist water/meth kit on the way for my truck but I have some questions on install and setup that I hope some guys here with experience can chime in on.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Why no meth?

RIght! And nobody sells a tuner that is known to grenade engines or blow gaskets. It's called business and many times in business things are marketed that are not in the best interest of your truck. How about you start a poll and see how many people have hydrolocked or windowed a powerstroke using water/meth injection?

Methanol in high concentrations is a very dangerous substance to inject into your diesel engine.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 PM
<-- GO BRONCOS

Phiber Optik- listen to Charles, he knows what he is talking about.

...and why did you order a water/meth kit, you don't list a chip/tuner in your sig? How hot is it getting?

on edit- I didn't notice the ICP mod.

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode