New Gauges, Proper Numbers? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question New Gauges, Proper Numbers?

Hey guys,
Well I just wrapped up installing my new Glowshift gauges (I know, not the best brand, but they were recommended to me at the time). So far they are functioning great, and I just had a few questions for anybody else who is running gauges. I am trying to decide if I am getting reasonable numbers on the gauge. About the truck: 2000, F-250, 130,xxx miles, Napa 6637 intake, stock tires, exhaust (for now ) pretty minor mods so far.
Outside air temp was 67 degrees while I was testing
The truck is my daily driver, no towing or heavy loads for the most part.
At idle, EGT reads roughly 250, boost 0
At WOT EGT reads roughly 900, boost 16 (about 3100 RPM)
At 60 mph, EGT runs anywhere from 400-500 degrees depending on if I am going up or down hills or on level ground. Boost sits right at 4 PSI.
On a 15 mile test run, trans temp ran up to 140 at the most.

I thought the boost seemed low, so I ran another test with the boost line hooked up to a tester, and also got 15-16 PSI. Do these numbers seem to be pretty much in range for my setup? Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 AM
PSN Local

Re: New Gauges, Proper Numbers?

tunes?

2002 7.3 stabbin waggon ... 4in turbo back, cold air, autometer pillar, dp-tuned...more to come, feel free to make donations
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No tunes yet, gonna get my exhaust in first and then go from there. Sorry if this topic has already been covered somewhere, I did a little digging on the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 AM
PSN Veteran

Were did you install the egt probe? That sounds way low for WOT. and so does boost. You may have a leak. Your egt temps seem low across the board to me.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 AM
PSN Local

your vitals seem pretty normal for stock tune... boost seems a little low... but if your "exhaust" is staight pipe with 4 in down pipe then that seems reasonable....

2002 7.3 stabbin waggon ... 4in turbo back, cold air, autometer pillar, dp-tuned...more to come, feel free to make donations
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

EGT Probe is drilled and tapped right into the exhaust manifold, where the manifold collects and kind of does an S shape. I was suspecting a boost leak also because I am pretty sure that I have a slight oil leak going somewhere on the turbo pedestal. Now it was pretty much just hitting WOT briefly, I didn't hold it there for too long. Is it possible I pushed the probe too far into the manifold? I pushed it in until it hit the opposite side, then pulled it back about 1/8"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 AM
PSN Local

stock tunes.. mine runs about 980 egt wot... 20 psi tops.... around 6-8 psi on cruise....

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM
PSN Veteran

Ok well if not in it very long I can see 900 but an oil leak at the turbo wouldnt be a boost leak. Look for soot around pipe flanges and such. Was just making sure you were in the manifold.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 AM
PSN Veteran

I definatly go over 20 psi and 980 egt.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 AM
PSN Local

with my dd tune im pulling around 26psi & 1100 wot depending on OAT.... turned all the way up im doing around the same psi give or take a few pounds... egts are a bit higher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode