Could it be tuned already?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Could it be tuned already??

Out in the Garage the other day working on the Sand Rails. Throats getting a little parched, My buddy and I decided it was Beer:30. My buddy being a previous owner of a 03 7.3 Asked if he could take my truck to the beer store to remember the glory days.

When he returned he stated that it drives awesome like it has a tune on it. I told him it doesn't cause nothing is plugged into the OBDII port. He stated that you don't have to have something plugged in all the time it could be programmed into the computer.

To give you a little background on my truck. I just bought it 2 months ago. All stock that I know of but one thing that caught my eye was that behind where the rear toolbox sits, where it covers the back glass there are two superchips stickers.

My Question is, Is my buddy correct that a vehicle can be programmed with a tune in the computer with no tuner present?

I'm wondering if this guy had a tune on it and left it programmed when He traded it in to the dealership where I purchased it.

If this could be the case is the only way I can find out is by taking it to the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 AM
PSN Local

Re: Could it be tuned already??

you can reflash the stock tune on the pcm to a aftermarket tune without a chip or programmer being plugged in, for example it could just be a 75 hp tow tune flashed to the pcm. done, no programmer or chip. but to me if you got it from a dealer it couldve been reflashed to the stock tune. the dealership should be able to tell you if it has a tune flashed on it

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtray View Post
you can reflash the stock tune on the pcm to a aftermarket tune without a chip or programmer being plugged in, for example it could just be a 75 hp tow tune flashed to the pcm. done, no programmer or chip. but to me if you got it from a dealer it couldve been reflashed to the stock tune. the dealership should be able to tell you if it has a tune flashed on it
Thanks for your comment, it is possible that the dealer didn't check into it because I basically bought it when the guy turned it in. I was in the right place at the right time! Also it was from a Chrysler dealer so I'm not sure that they have the right tool but who knows. When I have time I will drop it off at the dealer and have them look into it. Would it be bad to run a towing tune when not towing?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Not going to hurt. With a superchips, it doesnt stay plugged in. You flash /program the tune you want and then remove the programmer.Tune is now in the pcm. That being said, the only way to get that tune off without the programmer is to take it to the dealer and have them reflash the pcm. Also look behind the e-brake at the pcm ans see if anything is plugged into the pcm, or pull it ans see if a chip is installed.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 AM
PSN Local

Pull your PCM and see if it has a chip on it. My truck had one on it when I bought it. It was the old style chip that stays on the PCM.

2013 F250 Platinum 4x4 CC 6.7- Carli Commuter 2.0 suspension, 18x9 BMF Novakane, 35 12.5 R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Titan 50 gallon fuel tank

2002 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
Pull your PCM and see if it has a chip on it. My truck had one on it when I bought it. It was the old style chip that stays on the PCM.
What would this chip look like?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Village Idiot

Look down by emergency brake does it have a hole chewed in the side ...
The chip will be there behind duct tape or even still have the wire attached..
Or the pcm could be flashed. ..

I have seen a few trucks with swamps singles and flashed pcms running around.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 AM
PSN Local

if you had a superchip in that truck it would smoke like a mofo... even the economy tune will roll some coal

2002 7.3 stabbin waggon ... 4in turbo back, cold air, autometer pillar, dp-tuned...more to come, feel free to make donations
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-DIESEL View Post
if you had a superchip in that truck it would smoke like a mofo... even the economy tune will roll some coal
At wide open throttle it will blow black smoke but it is small compared to what I have seen out there!

Would a stock truck blow smoke at all?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
PSN Veteran

It can

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode