Switch from chip to tuner - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Switch from chip to tuner

Hey guys. Switching from my 6 position chip to a livewire ts. Still makes me a little nervous messing with the PCM to take the chip off. I know to take keys out of the ignition but still makes me nervous. But is there anything I need to do other than just take the chip out and plug the livewire ts into the OBDII port. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: Switch from chip to tuner

This chip has now destroyed 2 transmissions so now I'm having this one rebuilt to be a tank and getting rid of the POS chip. I strongly feel that it is also destroying the motor because my engine temps are higher than any other 7.3 around me by a fairly good amount plus ill be upgrading too much on this truck to want to send the chip back to get redone all the time. I like the ability to have an all in one without all the extra wires like there are now. Also enjoy the adjustability I have with the livewire. Not just 5 extra combinations.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

... Your are severely misinformed...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Don't know the tuner of the chip didn't put it in don't have the name of the owner who did. I'm going to have custom tuning on the livewire. Yes I lose that adjustability I was talking about earlier and I'm a stubborn individual and will not change my mind easily. This truck is a dog on stock mode. Can't get out if its own way. It's sad how slow it is on stock. Although there isn't a huge increase with this chip is shifts like crap meaning easy into second slams into third barely feel 4th and slams overdrive then same downshifting if it downshifts at all. The shift points suck and no matter what I do other than turn overdrive off it goes into overdrive at 60mph pedal on the floor WOT or not. Same happens into a gear at 40mpj then I have to floor it to get a downshift which then redlines and sounds like something is gonna break. I don't enjoy having to do these things to my truck and want to be able to have a file emailed to me and be able to load it onto my tuner and not have to wait to send something out then wait to get something back. I love being able to drive my truck and get 16+ mpg on my curvy back roads without having to floor the truck to downshift. I realize these are all probably problems with the programming of the chip because it doesn't do any of this on stock setting. I've been told by local people as well as people I met who work on diesels that a tuner can take the same tunes as a chip. I don't need to be able to change settings at a moments notice. A guy around here has a 7.3 with a custom tune on an sct stock everything except trans like mine will be next week and will tear my truck to pieces in a race or hooking chains any day. If either of you believe you can sway my decision to keep a chip instead of the sct I encourage you to try. Give me a good chip and someone who knows what they're doing to tune it and a good monitor system so i can see my temps. which is another thing i like about the livewire and ill check it out.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 AM
PSN Local

dude an sct isnt goint to do F***ing S*** for the truck, there good on 6 leakers.
get yourself a custom TS Chip from NLTD, Swamps, Gearhead, PHP. then the truck will be happy. if you want a monitoring system and tunes look into DP Infinity.

and stop acting like you know everying, its going to get you nowhere around here

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 AM
PSN Veteran

Simple solution. Php hydra chip with tunes on it from bill or any other tuner you want. Still have your change on fly function. Want new tunes, have them emailed to you than just download em. Hell you don't even have to over right the existing tunes you have as long as you have empty spaces. (Up to 17 I believe)
Edge insight CTS for your monitor. Up to 8 live gauges at once or as little as 3.
That to me is the setup to have.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsberman94 View Post
Don't know the tuner of the chip didn't put it in don't have the name of the owner who did. I'm going to have custom tuning on the livewire.
Its not the chip thats causing you issues. Its the programing on the chip. Get some good programing on it and you will be set. The TS platform is FAR superior to the livewire.

Quote:
Yes I lose that adjustability I was talking about earlier and I'm a stubborn individual and will not change my mind easily. This truck is a dog on stock mode. Can't get out if its own way. It's sad how slow it is on stock. Although there isn't a huge increase with this chip is shifts like crap meaning easy into second slams into third barely feel 4th and slams overdrive then same downshifting if it downshifts at all.
There is no 4th gear... The 4R100 is a 3speed with overdrive. Again, the issue is not the chip, its the tunes on them.

If your truck is such a dog stock, there is something wrong with it. I've driven a stock 7.3 and they will pull anything you hook to them without issue.

Quote:
The shift points suck and no matter what I do other than turn overdrive off it goes into overdrive at 60mph pedal on the floor WOT or not. Same happens into a gear at 40mpj then I have to floor it to get a downshift which then redlines and sounds like something is gonna break.
I'm begining to think who ever did your trans the first time ####ed up the valve body... Everything your discribing is a valve body that is drilled out.

Quote:
I don't enjoy having to do these things to my truck and want to be able to have a file emailed to me and be able to load it onto my tuner and not have to wait to send something out then wait to get something back. I love being able to drive my truck and get 16+ mpg on my curvy back roads without having to floor the truck to downshift.
Again... it all sounds like a piss poor trans build...

Quote:
I realize these are all probably problems with the programming of the chip because it doesn't do any of this on stock setting. I've been told by local people as well as people I met who work on diesels that a tuner can take the same tunes as a chip. I don't need to be able to change settings at a moments notice. A guy around here has a 7.3 with a custom tune on an sct stock everything except trans like mine will be next week and will tear my truck to pieces in a race or hooking chains any day. If either of you believe you can sway my decision to keep a chip instead of the sct I encourage you to try. Give me a good chip and someone who knows what they're doing to tune it and a good monitor system so i can see my temps. which is another thing i like about the livewire and ill check it out.
Your going the wrong direction with the livewire...

A properly tuned TS or Hydra chip gives you far more choices and far better tuning.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnhartal View Post
Simple solution. Php hydra chip with tunes on it from bill or any other tuner you want. Still have your change on fly function. Want new tunes, have them emailed to you than just download em. Hell you don't even have to over right the existing tunes you have as long as you have empty spaces. (Up to 17 I believe)
Edge insight CTS for your monitor. Up to 8 live gauges at once or as little as 3.
That to me is the setup to have.
This was the response I was looking for. Thanks
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM
PSN Veteran

I would heed joes (csipsd) input about your tranny. Just reread your narrative that he was kind enough to break down and I have to agree you got something jacked. No tune writer would screw with the shifts that bad if they even could.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I am liking these 2 options greatly. I'm gonna check out some pricing in the morning. Does the hydra come preloaded with anything or will everything have to be custom after I receive and install it. I've never heard of it before. Ill do some reading up on it and reviews in the morning. Also ill be looking at pricing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode