Noob quesiton regarding e99/l99 ecu/idm - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Noob quesiton regarding e99/l99 ecu/idm

So I'm a little confused. I hear rumors that the ecu and idm out of a L99-03 are more beneficial that the E 99. I planning large build for winter-ish time and of coarse was going to do the idm upgrade (my e99 110 changed to 140) and began thinking:

Am i better of getting getting ecu and idm out of L99? (parent own automotive shop-so i have access to crash/insurance auctions so i may buy myself a l99-03 donor truck)

do i THEN need to change to a gpm or stay with the gpr? Do more tuners prefer a L99 ecu to work with rather than the e99? Does one have more capabilities than the other?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Darkhorse: E99 F-350 SD Dually, RWD, 4r100, 4inch, K&N intake, TS stock tunes, 05 conversion, Murdered, Irate mounted S468fmw, SRP 1.1, ARP, regulated return, water/meth
Fearmont: 79 Ford Fairmont, X275 drag radial car, BES 574ci A-headed Ford, ATD 2 speed Turbo 400, Menscer's, 9.5in Duco rearend, 1 stage nitrous. 4.60's @ 153mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Noob quesiton regarding e99/l99 ecu/idm

Gpr/GPM depends on truck. My understanding is only Cali trucks had gpms. I may be wrong though. But my 02 for sure has a gpr.
Call and talk to the tuner you plan on using for answer to pcm question.

02 F350 CC DRW 4X4.
PHP Hydra with Gearhead, PHP, and NLTD tunes. AIRAID INTAKE, 4" exhaust.
CTS INSIGHT w/ egt, coolant and boost sensors.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM
International Coal Roller

I've only seen gpm's on cali trucks, mine is a cali truck with a gpm, I personally can't tell the difference between a truck with a gpr or a gpm, if yours is a gpr leave it that way, no point in adding one more module. As for the e99 vs l99 idm, the l99 will handle more voltage but that's because they have bigger injectors if you are going to throw in new injectors then a new idm will be beneficial

02 250 CCLB, 6 spd, PHP Phoenix, ISSPROs, AFE/6637 intake, 4" DE straight exhaust, WW, coolant filter with ELC, AIH delete, ebpv delete, bellowed uppies, 4" on 35's and racelines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

doesnt matter if its a E99 or L99 once you mod it to a 140 there all the same..if you want a new moded IDM give Swamps a gingle..its a better IDM then a DIY moded IDM..keep your GPR and if you wish you can put in a PCM from a 99.5 to early 01 truck..it must be a DPC-422 PCM though and if you have an auto you need a PCM for an auto....i like the PMT1 PMT2 or PMT3.. i have an auto trans.. .. there just a little more tuner friendly because there are a lot of trucks out there running them compared to the E99 PCM...

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for all the solid info, i appreciate the input!

Darkhorse: E99 F-350 SD Dually, RWD, 4r100, 4inch, K&N intake, TS stock tunes, 05 conversion, Murdered, Irate mounted S468fmw, SRP 1.1, ARP, regulated return, water/meth
Fearmont: 79 Ford Fairmont, X275 drag radial car, BES 574ci A-headed Ford, ATD 2 speed Turbo 400, Menscer's, 9.5in Duco rearend, 1 stage nitrous. 4.60's @ 153mph
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Village Idiot

I switched mine from an xle4 to a pmt2..minor difference in idle, smoother shifts picked up 1.5 mpg...now once the chip went in that changed..and generic ts chip shifting sucks.

the pmt series seems to be easier to tune .. it also allowed my cruise control to light up.
I do not get any codes for missing an aih which my truck never had...

best investment is a new cup holder..the e99 cup thrower with its limp dik rubber fingers has dropped dozens of drinks.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
I switched mine from an xle4 to a pmt2..minor difference in idle, smoother shifts picked up 1.5 mpg...now once the chip went in that changed..and generic ts chip shifting sucks.

the pmt series seems to be easier to tune .. it also allowed my cruise control to light up.
I do not get any codes for missing an aih which my truck never had...

best investment is a new cup holder..the e99 cup thrower with its limp dik rubber fingers has dropped dozens of drinks.
Bahaha so true. I cant tell you how many mornings I've made my cup of coffee which i consider crucial to my daily studies (go to school for Mechanical Engineering) and after 2 sips the thing ghost flings across the truck all over the carpet and door panel

Which trucks might i find the "pmt1,2, or 3" in? Its looking like the f450 automatic utility trucks cross the auction blocks often...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode