Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

California Emissions legal turbos/exhaust

16K views 68 replies 30 participants last post by  southmike 
#1 ·
So I haven't really been on here for a while. However with the purchase of a new toy I am going to need to bump up the power in my '01 to haul the load. I have been running the earlier TN drop in for a few years and have been happy. I wanted to upgrade to the BB, but of course that really isn't an option. Now with the potential of emissions testing in California even a GTP38r is not a legal option. :mad:

So what turbo options are there that will support towing heavy, with plenty of power, low EGTS, and at least look stock, or have a CARB/EPA cert?

Also since my Magnaflow exhaust is not legal, what exhaust options are there that will support the same and look stock or have a CARB/EPA cert?

Also, I am currently running a 6L CAC, and it works well. I really want to put in a Spearco or DI CAC, but the same emissions questions apply.

I still have my stock turbo, and if I felt the truck had enough power stock I would just go back to completely stock, but I really need more power than stock. Any help would be appreciated, and I would imagine I am not the only one who is going to be in this situation in Cali if the get really aggressive with this emissions testing BS. :(

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I can bet you that not 1 person that will test your truck if/when it happens will know that your turbo is not stock. Plus a Garrett is stock on the PSD so it will pretty much look like a stocker. I have a BB in my EX and I dont care about the testing if it happens. Just put something on there and be happy. They wont know.

But I bet they will raise a stink about an open element air filter. That would be retarded.

#5 ·
Didn't think about the stock garrett, now that I think about that it makes sense. I have the Ford AIS intake so I should be good on that. Good points matty. Who has the best deals on the GTP38r? How much are the TN drop ins going for on eBay?

#6 ·
Yeah, Ive been fighting #### with emissions in cars and trucks for a long time in Cali. It always pissed me off about how their rules are written. I had a lot of friends with hot rods and Jeeps that had much lower emissions than my moms minivan, but they would not pass because they did not have some stupid piece of required hardware or after market hardware that was not on some stupid list. And then the 63 Willys pickup we had ran clean with the small holley 4-barrel on it, but that carb was not on the list. The carb my dad borrowed to pass the emissions was a MONSTER racing carb, did not run clean, but passed cause it was on the list.

FAWKED UP SH!T, IMHO. Anyone we need to talk about this so that we are prepared for when this crap happens.

Looks like the Garrett will be the best options for me. What about exhaust, especially since I am missing that one piece in the exhaust that they seem to think is necessary.:blah:

#7 ·
I don't know about California trucks, but '00-'02 automatics didn't come with a cat but the manuals did.

#8 ·
You wont be checked for emisions, your truck is to heavy... This is long but just look at the bold if you dont want to read it all...

44011 (a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion engines that are registered within an area designated for program coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of compliance or noncompliance, except for the following:

(1) All motorcycles until the department, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to motorcycles.

(2) All motor vehicles that have been issued a certificate of compliance or noncompliance or a repair cost waiver upon a change of ownership or initial registration in this state during the preceding six months.

(3) All motor vehicles manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year.

(4) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), all motor vehicles four or less model-years old.

(B) Beginning January 1, 2005, all motor vehicles six or less model-years old, unless the state board finds that providing an exception for these vehicles will prohibit the state from meeting the requirements of Section 176(c) of the federal Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 7401 et seq.) or the state’s commitments with respect to the state implementation plan required by the federal Clean Air Act.

(C) All motor vehicles excepted by this paragraph shall be subject to testing and to certification requirements as determined by the department, if any of the following apply:

(i) The department determines through remote sensing activities or other means that there is a substantial probability that the vehicle has a tampered emission control system or would fail for other cause a smog check test as specified in Section 44012.

(ii) The vehicle was previously registered outside this state and is undergoing initial registration in this state.

(iii) The vehicle is being registered as a specially constructed vehicle.

(iv) The vehicle has been selected for testing pursuant to Section 44014.7 or any other provision of this chapter authorizing out-of-cycle testing.

(D) This paragraph does not apply to diesel-powered vehicles.
(5) In addition to the vehicles exempted pursuant to paragraph (4), any motor vehicle or class of motor vehicles exempted pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 44024.5. It is the intent of the Legislature that the department, pursuant to the authority granted by this paragraph, exempt at least 15 percent of the lowest emitting motor vehicles from the biennial smog check inspection.

(6) All motor vehicles that the department determines would present prohibitive inspection or repair problems.

(7) Any vehicle registered to the owner of a fleet licensed pursuant to Section 44020 if the vehicle is garaged exclusively outside the area included in program coverage, and is not primarily operated inside the area included in program coverage.

(8) (A) All diesel-powered vehicles manufactured prior to the 1998 model-year.

(B) All diesel-powered vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,501 to 10,000 pounds, inclusive, until the department, in consultation with the state board, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to these vehicles.

(C) All diesel-powered vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating from 10,001 pounds to 13,999 pounds, inclusive, until the state board and the Department of Motor Vehicles determine the best method for identifying these vehicles, and until the department, in consultation with the state board, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to these vehicles.

(D) All diesel-powered vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,000 pounds or greater.

(b) Vehicles designated for program coverage in enhanced areas shall be required to obtain inspections from appropriate smog check stations operating in enhanced areas.

(c) For purposes of subdivision (a), a collector motor vehicle, as defined in Section 259 of the Vehicle Code, is exempt from those portions of the test required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 if the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:

(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.

(2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years old.

(3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions standards for that motor vehicle’s class and model-year as prescribed by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks.

(d) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2010. or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII~TH~B of the California Constitution.

(Added Sec. 3, Ch. 739, Stats. 2007. Operative January 1, 2010.)

#11 ·
The new proposed emissions regulations include all diesel vehicles up to 14,000 lbs GVWR. :mad:

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/05_Legislative/RegulatoryActions/dieselcoms1108.html

At a minimum, AB 1488 requires that 1998 and newer vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 8501 pounds be included in the Smog Check Program. In addition, the legislation requires the inclusion of diesel-powered vehicles less than 14,000 pounds GVWR once DMV determines the best method for identifying these vehicles, and ARB/BAR implement applicable test procedures. After working with the DMV and the ARB, the three agencies agreed that it would be most cost effective to include diesel vehicles up to 14,000 pounds GVWR so that program changes could be made all at once. This will result in significant cost savings to the State because DMV will only have to make changes to the system once, and emission benefits will be realized to the State sooner.

The bill indicates that the test will, at a minimum, consist of visual checks of the emission control systems (ECS), and an On Board Diagnostics (OBD) test. In addition, AB 1870 (Lieber, Chapter 761, Statutes of 2006) requires a visible smoke test.

#12 ·
Well.....CA will be bankrupt in about a month. So, I wonder if the funding will be present to get diesel testing off the ground by January 2010 as planned.

#13 ·
On the other hand, with all the fees they could charge for all the non-compliant diesel trucks, they could solve the cash flow problem.

#16 ·
Yeah I am going to. I will need to put in new injectors(250K on these :eek:), I was going to go with single shots, but now I am worried. I want to upgrade the turbo(like the idea that the stocker and the gtp38r are both garretts :D). Unfortunately I have a 80hp tune burned into my ECU by Jody, so I am going to have to have to get something like an F5. I am sure Jody or one of the other guys can hook me up.

The one I have no idea about work around is the exhaust. I'll have to check and see if I kept my cat. I can weld on some 4" tube and put in a couple of manifolds to make the cat removable. Although when I pulled it off it was almost completed rotted out so it doesn't really work. Does anyone make a high performance aftermarket diesel cat in 4"???

#27 ·
Proof???

Later SOI causes heavier particulate matter. The further SOI is advanced you have less PM but start producing more nitrogens of oxide. It's a balancing act.

Do I have proof no, other than books from various injection manufacturers schools.

#24 ·
As if the emissions nazis care if it effects emissions. Emissions testing is NOT about improving emissions, its about compliance with THEIR method of reducing emissions. If it was really about reducing emissions all they would do is a sniff test, and if you are under the max emissions you pass.

#26 ·
The only thing valve covers have to do with it, is the sticker on the motor. I bet you could by a replacement sticker from a model without the cat from a dealer.

#30 ·
So what turbo options are there that will support towing heavy, with plenty of power, low EGTS, and at least look stock, or have a CARB/EPA cert?
NONE
Also since my Magnaflow exhaust is not legal, what exhaust options are there that will support the same and look stock or have a CARB/EPA cert?
NONE
Also, I am currently running a 6L CAC, and it works well. I really want to put in a Spearco or DI CAC, but the same emissions questions apply
NONE

CARB does not have any rules regarding diesel performance/aftermarket equipment, nor do they have a list of acceptable equipment. Companies must "apply" to the CARB for approval of specific items for specific applications, and since there are no rules regarding it, no companies have submitted equipment for approval.

CARB sucks!
CA is only testing GVWR of 8000 and less. My 2001 crew cab short bed 4x4 has a gvwr of 8800, so i think yours should also.
:whs:
Actually, it's GVWR's of 8501 or less.

From CalDMV web site:

Diesel-Powered Vehicles — Operative January 1, 2010
Amend, Repeal, and Add: Health & Safety Code §§44010.5, 44011, 44012 (AB 1488 Chapter No. 739)
Adds diesel-powered vehicles manufactured after the 1997 model-year that have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 8,501 pounds to be in the biennial smog check program.

I don't think it matters if it works, I think its all visual test, no sniffers
Currently, all COMMERCIAL trucks (those belonging to businesses/fleets) in CA with a GVWR over 25001 lbs. have to do an annual OPACITY test. They attach a small light source and optical sensor to the stack, then have the operator mash the throttle to the floor, running the engine up to governed RPM. If it smokes more than the "allowed" amount, the truck's out of service until repaired.

Inclusion of vehicles under 8501 into the "smog check program" WILL include a "sniff" test, to measure the levels of soot, sulfur, and anything else they can think of!

Once again: CARB SUCKS!

#31 ·
Actually, it's GVWR's of 8501 or less.

From CalDMV web site:

Diesel-Powered Vehicles — Operative January 1, 2010
Amend, Repeal, and Add: Health & Safety Code §§44010.5, 44011, 44012 (AB 1488 Chapter No. 739)
Adds diesel-powered vehicles manufactured after the 1997 model-year that have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 8,501 pounds to be in the biennial smog check program.
That may change. They are supposed to include all diesels up to 14K GVWR by 2010. Thats what started this.

#32 ·
Is there anything that can be done to realistically bring the stocker up to a real performance level? I.E. beyond just an ATS housing and wicked wheel. I'm looking to support 350-400 hp towing 15K with reasonable EGTs.

Yeah I know huge requirements, but looking at all my options so I don't end up holding onto another dead end turbo.

Thanks

#39 ·
I think the Dominator 66 from BDP is available now for the 99-03's. It's a modified stock turbo and looks all stock from the exterior.

#40 ·
I thought that was only available for pre-99 for some reason. I have read that it will flow as much or more than a GTP38R.

I pulled my toyhauler up to Sacto and back with my new Jeep in it this week. Did great, just needs more air. 20,100 lbs. :D

#42 ·
OK so the Garrett would obviously be the best option. However it sounds like I could build or have built my stocker(which I have at home, though it has obviuos dusting on the vanes). Sounds like the D66 is a great option. What is done to the D66, and is it something I could do at home?

#43 ·
You would have to call Beans Diesel to make sure they do the newer turbos. No they do not supply a DIY kit. You send your turbo and it comes back a D66.

#45 ·
i think we need to ban together to put a stop to this crap. their needs to be a diesel movement on putting a stop to these communistic #######s!

#46 ·
They will start with GVW under 8501 the first year then 8501-14k the next year. They want to do a snap test (throttle test) and a visual inspection.

I think we will all be paying some kid at the smog shop a little extra to not open the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.