Budget upgrades and chip troubles. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Budget upgrades and chip troubles.

recently bought a 7.3 obs powerstroke, ex cab long bed manual 5 speed 4x4. Its all stock as of right now. I need advice about very cheap but effective mods. lookin for better mpgs and for some more power. When i tried putting a friend superchip on it my truck wouldnt start... Not sure exact chip but it was a 75hp and he had it on a 96 powerstroke. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Budget upgrades and chip troubles.

It probably wouldn't start because it wasn't written for the same PCM family as yours.

The only 100% way to better fuel mileage is to have good driving habits and make sure your truck is in good mechanical condition(engine, brakes, etc.).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 AM
PSN Local

well fuel mileage wise i would start by checking your exhaust back pressure tube and sensor as well as for boost and exhaust leaks, change fuel filter if you havent already and run some diesel kleen through it (grey bottle). then after your satisfied with that, a 6637 air filter, 4" exhaust, hutch and harpoon mod in the fuel tank to start with. then i would look into a custom tuned chip from (NLTD, DP, PHP, Gearhead, ect.) not the canned off the shelf tunes.

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:31 AM
PSN Newb

well first off very cheap and diesel does not go together in the same sentence. But it depends on how far you want to go with the truck HP wise but to start I would also recommend what mtray said with the exhaust, air filter, custom tuned chip and you can go from there

1995 ford F-Super duty- AFE stage 2 intake, TS 6 pos. Chip, 3" dp-4"-5" to 6 inch bullhorn stacks, FPR shim, Auto meter gauges(fuel pressure, EGT, boost, trans temp) CM flatbed, tinted windows, LED lights all the way around.

1999 Ford F-350- AFE stage 2 intake 75HP chip, 4" turbo back exhaust, Tinted windows, Western Hauler bed
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:50 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

1994-1997 OBS Power Stroke - Aftermarket Performance - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Oh look... An OBS performance section... humm why would we have an OBS area for OBS trucks? Maybe so that someone can post in the correct section...

Na... Too easy.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:56 AM
PSN Local

alright now, i deserved S*** cause im not a newb take it easy on the new guy lol

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks mtray. Sorry I thought I did post it in obs section. What is the hutch and harpoon mod??? Ive been looking into powerstroke mods quite a bit lately but havent heard of that one. Also whats a estimate for your mods you said, just a ballpark figure. Any specific place to get tunes at?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 AM
PSN Local

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Harpoon Mod Web Page
harpoon mod

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
Hutch mod

the kit from riffraff is around $90
Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6637 Filter Kit

I have a Jegs turbo back 4" exhaust that cost me $300
if you look on the vendors here they have ones for around that price.

thats how to clean the EBP tube and sensor, since you have an obs it might be a little different from the 99-03 but its a general idea.

heres the thing about the chip, if your going to get one, you need to get some gauges, isspro are going to be more expensive but there the nicest gauges out there, autometer is in-between but still good quality for the money, and well i have Glowshift gauges and there very cheap but its really hit or miss on quality with them. i would recommend isspro or autometer gauges and youll need atleast an EGT gauge and since you have a manual you really dont need a trans temp, and a boost gauge is optional, its a good troubleshooter if anything else.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Ford Powerstroke Gauges | 7.3L Powerstroke Gauges | Diesel Gauges & Accessories - Gauges & Mounts
theres a link to some gauges.

now the chip is going to be your personal preference, i went with tunes from jonathon at NLTD, (also does them for Beans) but theres so many choices out there your going to have to do some research and make a few phone calls and emails.

my personal recommendation would be 1. beans (NLTD) 2. gearhead 3. powerhungryperformance (PHP). those would be the ones that i would buy a chip from, but that is just MY opinion.

there is a great thread at the top of this forum that talks about all the chips, i would read through that before you make any decisions on a chip.

as far as boost leaks go you can make a homemade boost leak detector. just use the search button for this one cause ive never made one and cant remember the parts to do it. but its cheap and easy to do.

so heres my ballpark:
air filter around $100
exhaust around $300
no sure on the Hutch and harpoon, im going to buy a kit from driven diesel for $170
chip will be $400+
and ill just say $450 for gauges.
= $1550 w/o the hutch and harpoon. which will be a lot cheaper than 170 if you do it yourself.
thats rough gestimate for you give or take of course depending on what you want.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks alot man. Guess I gotta try gettin money saved up this summer to do these mods.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:12 PM
PSN Local

no problem, glad i could help! like dzlcowboy86 said diesel and cheap dont really go together but you can make the process cheaper if you do your own wrenching and search around for good deals on things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode