fxr vs full regulated return. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

fxr vs full regulated return.

Right now I have a fxr system on my pickup and was wondering if there is any benifits to swapping to a full system, the size injectors I have now is really all the bigger I see myself going with a 38r for air. Hpop will come in time but not plans for anything bigger. Also with a full regulated return system I would have to ditch the factory fuel bowl and upgrade to aftermarket filtration as well right? Also is anyone running an oil crossover? Browsing around di's website and seen that, kinda thought that's overkill for my setup but thought I would see what your opinions was. Thanks in advance.

2002 f250,ccsb 280k
4" lift 35x14.5's
unlimited 238/80's, regulated return
heads off for porting and gambling on pmr's

2001 250, cclb 4x4 245k
33x12.5 fierce attitudes
S&b intake
4" turbo back no muffler
regulated return
Gearhead tunes
Unlimited 238/80s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: fxr vs full regulated return.

The full regulated return is better than the FRx for three reasons. The first one is increased fuel line size to get more fuel flowing. The second reason is that the pressure is adjustable via the regulator instead of removing the FPR to replace springs. The final reason is that it enables you to ditch the factory fuel filter housing. Then you can run a better filter setup with cheaper filters to boot.

All this being said, the FRx is much better than stock.

In my opinion, the oil rail crossover is unnecessary. Most do not see any gains, and the HPOP does a pretty good job at distributing oil pressure evenly to both heads.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 AM
PSN Local

there are regulated returns that keep the fuel bowl, but for somebody going for a lot of power, the fuel bowl is restrictive and a delete is almost a must, but getting it out of there does clean up the valley very nicely. the main difference is that your going to be able to adjust the regulated return very accurately rather than a broad range with the FRx, other than that there just going to be bigger lines. The way i look at it is if your trying to squeeze every last bit of those 238/80s and a 38r and trying to make big numbers then i would do it. if your not really aiming for a specific goal then your FRx should work just fine. IMHO

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

My real goal is over 450 so for right now my fxr will be fine but I should put a full system on my list cause I've got the fuel and air for more than 450 in my opinion, I may be proved wrong but I also have a list that has to be done before a new rr sysyem like a tranny! What fuel systems are y'all switching to? I'm guessing that if I'm gonna go to a full rrshould do my in tank mods as well, when I do that I should have pre pump and post pump filtration correct?

2002 f250,ccsb 280k
4" lift 35x14.5's

2001 250, cclb 4x4 245k
33x12.5 fierce attitudes
S&b intake
4" turbo back no muffler
regulated return
Gearhead tunes
Unlimited 238/80s
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Correct. I made an oil crossover line for my last truck and didnt really see any difference. Kinda pointless to me to do one and not the other on the fuel mods. Most recommend the tank mods first. If you dont increase the input, it doesnt really help the output if you think about it.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggin2001 View Post
My real goal is over 450 so for right now my fxr will be fine but I should put a full system on my list cause I've got the fuel and air for more than 450 in my opinion, I may be proved wrong but I also have a list that has to be done before a new rr sysyem like a tranny! What fuel systems are y'all switching to? I'm guessing that if I'm gonna go to a full rrshould do my in tank mods as well, when I do that I should have pre pump and post pump filtration correct?
Yes, when going with a full RR it is best to do the entire fuel system. The in-tank mods help significantly, and you will need to add some filtration if you delete the factory fuel bowl. Pre-pump water separator, and a post pump filter.

Strictly Diesel's kit is the cleanest and most high quality kit in my eyes. It is built extremely well and utilizes hard line. Strictly also makes the in-tank stuff, and pre/post pump filter setups.

We carry all of this stuff if you would like to check it out. HERE is a link.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 PM
PSN Local

What he said^^^ I will be getting strictlys kit in the future and use all of the stuff for my in tank mods all the way to the fuel delivery at the engine.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to go with there RR

2000 Ford F250 7.3 4x4. MODS: Beans Tunes, Jegs 4" exhaust, S&B intake, boost fooler, USA poted housing, RR billet wheel for ported housing, HFO, glowshifts 3-in-1 gauge pyro, boost, trans. AIH delete, bellowed uppipes, Sinister Diesel coolant filter.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the help guys, I know it kinda seems like I got ahead if myself with having the injectors I got without having all the fuel mods and oil first but injectors went out and didn't see any sense in putting stockers back in until I got all supporting mods so I'm kinda working back asswards until I get caught up to what I need to get the most of my setup. Where I'm not going bigger on stick us there any point to going to a 5/8s sump or will hutch mods with pump and fuel bowl delete be enough to get the most use out of my sticks? Thanks for the link Justin, when my budget allows I will for sure come to you guys to order my stuff.

2002 f250,ccsb 280k
4" lift 35x14.5's

2001 250, cclb 4x4 245k
33x12.5 fierce attitudes
S&b intake
4" turbo back no muffler
regulated return
Gearhead tunes
Unlimited 238/80s
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Irate diesel makes a killer, Absolute killer full regulated return set up with pre & postI pump filters , ,brackets everything needed. Lookup Irate Diessel.com or on Facebook and you'll see they got the most b***** set up out there.

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I've been trying to do allot of research before I dump any money into a full rr cause I wasn't really sure if I needed it for my setup but everyone seems to have the same response that u will see a noticeable difference with a rr and fuel bowl delete vs the system I have now.

2002 f250,ccsb 280k
4" lift 35x14.5's

2001 250, cclb 4x4 245k
33x12.5 fierce attitudes
S&b intake
4" turbo back no muffler
regulated return
Gearhead tunes
Unlimited 238/80s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode