I'm Lost on performance mods - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
DD Assisted

I'm Lost on performance mods

Hey guys (and gals) I'm really starting to get in to this "Diesel Thing". I used to be a hardcore gasoline guy, but my little brother (world's biggest 7.3 fan)would stomp me everytime with his diesel trucks, so when he talked me into test driving an 02 PSD he had found I new it was over for me. Well I left the truck pretty much stock until he passed away about a year ago (He was currently looking for a "project" truck at the time). Well you probably guessed it, I am working on mine now as a tribute to him, and would like to run it down the track sometime this year. Well just like everyone else I don't want to look like an idiot when I do run it down the strip. So get prepared for some dumb questions! The truck currently is equipped with 4" turbo back exhaust, guages, TS 6-stage, overboost annihilator and a K&N air filter which I will probably remove after reading around on this website. I still need it reliable for pulling my toys though. Well since RockinJW moved out of town about my only options for performance shops are run by "DODGE LOVERS" and that's who I want to let have it. So what's next? LET THE SUGGESTIONS FLY, PLEASE

2002 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6spd.
1984 Ford Ranger Diesel - Top Secret
2007 Mazda 6
1952 GMC w/ Ford powertrain, 390, Top Loader 4spd.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Honda TRX450r - Some stuff
2003 Suzuki Eiger
8 John Deere's from 1953 to 1960
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give'r the Onions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:36 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Re: I'm Lost on performance mods

Well how much money you got?

And how far do you want to go?

Being an '02 you'd want at least forged rods if you plan on going north of 400rwhp, otherwise you're taking a chance.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
DD Assisted

Well just like everyone else the bank isn't great big but there is enough for a few more mods!! EGT's are my biggest problem right now as well as turbo surge.

2002 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6spd.
1984 Ford Ranger Diesel - Top Secret
2007 Mazda 6
1952 GMC w/ Ford powertrain, 390, Top Loader 4spd.

2006 Honda TRX450r - Some stuff
2003 Suzuki Eiger
8 John Deere's from 1953 to 1960
:

Give'r the Onions

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Harl

Send a message via AIM to Harl

Getcha some hybirds

Cody,17
DD-1996 F250 Powerstroke, 5speed, 4x4 ecsb

Mods: GlowShift Gauges-Boost, Pryo, Oil psi and Fuel psi. DIY 6637 Intake, 160/100's, Wildman 6pos, Stage 2 water/meth, D66, TE HPOP, Vailer Clutch, Custom Bars and 5in turbo back....

PT-1995 F350- totaled
Soon to be brought back to a 1992

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Subject Matter Expert

What's your budget?

Stock
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Rock Steady

Whut up,

I am a newbie and I can tell ya I just got back from the beer store (short haul) after puttin my beans idm upgrade and a tymar and the k&n is in the kan

Make it happen

2000 F-450 Dump NLTD tunes
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 PM
HP Junky

I'm still down that way every now and then. There are still a few Powerstroke guys down there too...

Like everyone else said, how deep your pockets are will really determine how far you can go.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Do all of the little mods... Plus some new tuning. See how you feel about those...
As of now, my truck only has: DI tunes, Tymar, CCV mod, AIH delete, HAD an HPOX but blew it(really don't miss it...), straight pipe(soon to de 4" downpipe to 5" to 6" single stack), and will have a WW in a few days... It's a good setup for me until I can get a transmission.

After that I'm gonna go with 230cc Hybrids and a 38R or bigger turbo...

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 AM
<-- GO BRONCOS

An ATS housing will get rid of the turbo surge- $425

If the air filter is a K&N drop in, then you need to up-grade to a Tymar style or an AFE Stage II. Both of thise will help with controlling EGTs.

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:36 AM
<---Beer version of PMR's

The really big expenses would be a billet trans and a rod swap to go above 400ish hp. So, bang for the buck I would first get a valvebody to help the trans live a little longer and shift firmer. And address the turbo surge, mine was basically cured by installing a wicked wheel. You can squeeze some more power/driveability out of a custom tune from a vendor on this site. If your AD injectors are in good shape I would the look at Big Oil. With that you'll be on the outer limits on your stock trans. From there stage 2 inj and a BB turbo will be in the upper limits of pmr rods. Gotta pay to play! A good running 350 hp Powerstroke is reliable and fun! Above that, get ready for $$$... Good luck, 'leeter

Tuning by Sniper
Transmishing by John Wood
Breathing by AFE
Exhausting by Pinncle
Monitoring by me and Isspro
Compressing by Wicked Wheel
Wasting by Turbomaster
Stopping by Powerslot
Lifting by Donahoe
Rolling by Toyo
Protecting by Ranch Hand, God, and Ruger
Addiction by
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

by Garrett, Alliant, ITP, DP-Tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode