Heavyish hauling, what else to look at? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
n00blet

Heavyish hauling, what else to look at?

Thus far, my '99 250, w/ slush trans. (3.73 rear gears)

Muffler and cat delete, stock sized exhaust pipe.

Yarded out the K&N drop in panel and replaced with the NAPA 6637 filter.

Have a set of Autometer gauges, Boost, EGT, Trans Temp. Trans temp is in the pan, EGT in the manifold ahead of the turbo. The Boost installed in what I think ya'll call the intake spider.

Using an Edge Evolution CS for the time being. Having the code reader, extra gauges and data logging was a must for me for a first buy. Later I plan on a custom tune (Very likely DP because he is very helpful), and simply using the Edge Evo for data logging, and gauge watchin.

After installing the Edge, the engine will idle high after roddin on it a bit until I put the trans either in park or neutral. I read around sounds like this may be normal but again I'm not sure.

Airbags or O/L springs will be a for sure thing in the future. Also rigging the TC lockup switch so I don't have the worry about not having lockup pullin a hill.

What things should I be looking to do or purchase next? Not really looking for a hot rod, just making it easier to tow. 5iver won't even be more than 14k loaded up to its max, so usually I'm pulling maybe 12k or less.

A question as well.

This gadget here with the tap put into it. What is this little guy for and/or what would the purpose of tapping into it be? Backyard modding at its best? Also the "T" into this "pressure" line with the red cap. Ideas on what this is for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Heavyish hauling, what else to look at?

thats the map sensor, and the line with the t fitting in it was for a boost gauge and they ran the hose to that to measure the boost. and the wire snap thing looks like it may have been for a boost fooler.

SOLD - 2001 7.3 zf6 sclb 4 inch exhaust, s&b intake, ts chip

SOLD - 2002 7.3 ecsb 4" exhaust, s&b intake, diesel site wicked wheel 2, diesel site 4r100 trans, 175/80 injectors, tuned by gear head

CURRENT - 2013 6.7 ccsb - Absolute performance intake, Absolute performance egr delete, Absolute performance tuning, 5" exhaust
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
n00blet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 View Post
thats the map sensor, and the line with the t fitting in it was for a boost gauge and they ran the hose to that to measure the boost. and the wire snap thing looks like it may have been for a boost fooler.
Is reading boost from this line the proper way to do it? Got mine installed on the intake spider just before the "boost" is headed into the engine, with that plastic hard line stuff usually used for oil pressure gauges.

Boost fooler sounds interesting, where can I read about that? :)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Village Idiot

A boostfooler tells pcm you have a lower boost so it does not defuel at 23 psi..
Though I would not push a stock turbo much over 30

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Is reading boost from this line the proper way to do it? Got mine installed on the intake spider just before the "boost" is headed into the engine, with that plastic hard line stuff usually used for oil pressure gauges.

Boost fooler sounds interesting, where can I read about that? :)
You can read boost from the MAP line or the intake spyder. It really doesn't matter as they are seeing the same pressure.

I am not sure exactly what they were trying to do with that MAP wire, but most people use a regulator to limit the pressure the PCM sees. HERE is what I am talking about.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:01 PM
PSN Veteran

i bet the po was trying to make a smoke switch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrixen View Post
i bet the po was trying to make a smoke switch
I dont see a way doing something to map would make it smoke more. Unless you made it think you are getting a lot of boost and it ups the icp or something, does it work like that?

SOLD - 2001 7.3 zf6 sclb 4 inch exhaust, s&b intake, ts chip

SOLD - 2002 7.3 ecsb 4" exhaust, s&b intake, diesel site wicked wheel 2, diesel site 4r100 trans, 175/80 injectors, tuned by gear head

CURRENT - 2013 6.7 ccsb - Absolute performance intake, Absolute performance egr delete, Absolute performance tuning, 5" exhaust
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Look into upgrading brakes and installing a 6.0 transmission cooler, shift kit and trans fluid flush.

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
n00blet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie View Post
Look into upgrading brakes and installing a 6.0 transmission cooler, shift kit and trans fluid flush.
Not quite sure how big the 6.0 cooler is, but the giant Hayden is a plate/stack design and a good 12" x 18". Trans never really gets up to operating temp unless I am pulling something.

I know the trans was replaced about 20k miles ago, although I don't know much about it beyond that. How can I tell if it has a shift kit of sorts? Is there a common way to tell in how it shifts?

Brakes, and rotors are my next upgrades. Recommends on rotors that won't break the bank would be great. :)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 AM
Subject Matter Expert

If you have it already upgraded , then it should be good. Without going out and measuring one, i bet a 6.0 cooler is all of 28" wide and 24" deep.

FrozenRotors (cryogenically treated) with Hawk pads. If you use the truck primarily for towing, their SuperDuty pads are better suited for towing and not so much DD

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode