Battery Relocation??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Battery Relocation???

I'm thinking of freeing up some room under the hood and moving the batteries to the bed (probably to the tool box).

What size cable would I need to run from the batteries to the engine compartment for the starter, etc. Would 1/0 be sufficient?

Also, how should I run the grounds. Should the ones on the front of the block be run to the frame, the cab, or some place else? Also, should the batteries in the bed be grounded to the bed or the frame?

Thanks!!!

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99
Re: Battery Relocation???

Id run 0ga but thas just me, Id ground the batt's to the frame or the truck and the ones on the motor to the frame as well, be sure the cab has a good ground to the frame as well I had a bad ground there and it gave me hell for a long time, so i made a 0ga cable and grounded the hell outa my cab

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck_early99 View Post
Id run 0ga but thas just me...
So, going smaller than 1/0 awg would be okay? Besides expense, is there a down side to running the larger wire?

Thanks!

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

I think 1/0 is fine, that's what my relocation will use.

One thing to keep in mind...IF you plan to drag race the truck, relocating the batteries will require a remote battery disconnect switch that is accessible from the rear of the truck to pass tech at most racetracks.

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Banned

I used 2/0 to the starter when I dropped my passenger's side battery because that is the OEM size.

And good luck finding it. I had one helluva time.

The starter is the only thing on that wire though, so don't worry about the truck itself. It runs on a 6 or 8 gauge wire that attaches at the solenoid and then powers the underhood distribution box from that black/striped wire that runs through the engine harness and up to the front bolt on the distribution box.

The starter is all that you're having to worry about here with the bigger wire. I would do as OEM and run one big one for the starter and one 6 gauge for the truck electronics to run on seperate.

JMHO

Good Luck

On Edit:

I don't have a still image of it, but if you pause this video at the begining you can see the wiring I did across the core support to the one battery I run now.

http://videos.powerstrokenation.com/...b6012cf346.htm
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:49 AM
A Ghost these days.

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_matt Send a message via Skype™ to mad_matt

The thicker the cable the less of a drop in amps and current per foot you get. The drop will not be significant over the 10-20 feet of cable you run. If it were me I'd go with the 1/0 or 00 cable and be done with it. I would also tie the engine ground back into the frame ground like they do on the pass side of the engine bay so that you have a common lug for both. It might not be a bad idea to add an extra Cab and frame ground while your changing stuff up. But what the hell would I know I just work with the cables that a wireless cell phone network for a living.

Got Boost?

Slightly modded 01 F350 CC SB 4X4