Oil Pressure issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Oil Pressure issues

On my way to work this morning coasting down a exit ramp the light came on and the gauge dropped to flat. Back in the throttle, the needle comes back up and light goes off. Bad sender maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor

Re: Oil Temp idiot gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSUPERD View Post
On my way to work this morning coasting down a exit ramp the light came on and the gauge dropped to flat. Back in the throttle, the needle comes back up and light goes off. Bad sender maybe?
Is it throwing a SES light? I'd say the sender would be a likely culprit.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:09 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Oil temp or oil pressure? I didn't think there was an oil temp on them

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydog View Post
Is it throwing a SES light? I'd say the sender would be a likely culprit.

Hasnt thrown the light yet....

|
|
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oil pressure, not temp. Look closely at the light, it's not temp, it's pressure.

And the reason it came on was because you lost oil pressure (lower than ~5-7psi) in the reservoir.

Not uncommon with dual pumps and no external feed line.
When the red light came on by the gauge it had a thermometer icon. Never even payed attention to that gauge before.lol

WTF am I losing oil pressure for ?????????

stock hpop

|
|
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Lovin the Tuna

I have the same issue with a different guage on my gas s10. When im at idle for a min. the guage completely zero's out, basically dead, then as soon as i give it some gas and start going it goes to full then works it way back down to where its supposed to be... I was told its just the sending unit on its way out... my .02 (sorry couldnt be more help).

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

I would think if I was actually losing pressure the truck would die and/or SES light right?

|
|
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:27 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSUPERD View Post
I would think if I was actually losing pressure the truck would die and/or SES light right?
Possibly a P1211 from lack of oil to the HPOP, but they will run with the exact same condition you discribed in your first post. I have seen it on a truck with a mechanical gauge installed and a confirmed 0 psi of oil pressure at idle, while still running/driving. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

I would throw a mechanical gauge on yours and check it out.

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:39 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I think I would also probably want to put a mechanical guage on it and check. That being said my sender went bad years ago and caused the gauge to drop off like that.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Banning Smut

Will do . I do know that there are zero performance issues. I beat the tar out of it on the way to work this morning. Ran great. Threw no hard codes.

|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode