Up pipe leaks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Question Up pipe leaks

A buddy of mine has an O2 running Hybrids detuned with live tuning by Jody. He owns a repair garge and tows a 16K (his guestimate) trailer to repair roadside breakdowns and service tires. His stock turbo had the large housing and a wicked wheel. His uppipes leaked at the donuts and chattered. This chatterring chafed holes in the uppipes. He changed the uppipes and added a 4" exhaust. The chatterring continued. Recently he changed his turbo to a Hypermax H2E. He used 350 Chevy donuts on his uppipes. He loves the turbo but the donuts still chatter.
Would bellowed uppipes make any difference? Will they work on the Hypermax set up?
I have the same turbo but don't tow as heavy and with my stock sticks do not make the power he does, I have no chatterring issues. I did have chatter with my stock turbo under heavy loads at high boost.
Any advice or installation tricks would be appreciated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Banks Intercooler and exhaust
In tank and pre-pump mods
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Up pipe leaks

I don't understand what you mean when you describe "chattering" from the up-pipes. Will you describe more of what you or your buddy are experincing.

Early 99 F-350
4" lift on 33's. Daily Driver/ Plow truck.
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New truck:
2009 F-350, 5.4L, 4" lift on 35's
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Chattering is the exhaust pressure blowing by the donut gasket making it vibrate rapidly (chatter, for lack of a better description) on the uppipe joint. I can not explain why the exhaust blows out of the joint but there is a definite sound made when this exhaust gasket blowby occurs.
My question should read... with a free flowing turbo and large free flowing exhaust, how do you prevent exhaust leaks at the uppipe joints. Why is exhaust leaking at the joints when the exhaust system (including Turbo) is free flowing?
Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:03 PM
PSN Veteran

I would inspect the pipes to determine if they are truely lining up correctly and use the Ford doughnuts..

The flex joints do not work with the H2 setups if I remember correctly.

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Are you saying the exhaust manifolds may be warped?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Not necessarily warped but missaligned. Just a WAG...

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:34 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMKCM View Post
A buddy of mine has an O2 running Hybrids detuned with live tuning by Jody. He owns a repair garge and tows a 16K (his guestimate) trailer to repair roadside breakdowns and service tires. His stock turbo had the large housing and a wicked wheel. His uppipes leaked at the donuts and chattered. This chatterring chafed holes in the uppipes. He changed the uppipes and added a 4" exhaust. The chatterring continued. Recently he changed his turbo to a Hypermax H2E. He used 350 Chevy donuts on his uppipes. He loves the turbo but the donuts still chatter.
Would bellowed uppipes make any difference? Will they work on the Hypermax set up?
I have the same turbo but don't tow as heavy and with my stock sticks do not make the power he does, I have no chatterring issues. I did have chatter with my stock turbo under heavy loads at high boost.
Any advice or installation tricks would be appreciated.
you said he used the chevy 350 donuts, I have lealks at my up pipes also, with a stock turbo, on the chevy were are the donuts used at. Thanks SickFord
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

do yourselves all a favor and go buy a set of up-pipes from DI and never have to worry about leaks again

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFord View Post
you said he used the chevy 350 donuts, I have lealks at my up pipes also, with a stock turbo, on the chevy were are the donuts used at. Thanks SickFord
Not sure what you are asking? 350 Chevy donuts are a little thicker but otherwise the same. I found several references to using Chevy donuts on other sites.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Crusty old Bastich

the up pipes go thru so many heat cycles and there is slight movement at that connection, so the pipes get distorted. It was found that the stock donut won't seal the warped pipes, and somebody figured out the chevy gasser manifold donut from the '60's/'70's was a quick fix instead of buying new up pipes.

sounds like your buddies pipes are so far gone even the thicker chevy doughnuts won't seal. Another cheap way to solve the problem is to have that end of the pipe run thru a muffler shop expander to get it back to stock diameter or bite the bullet and replace......

Jim

96 CC 2wd Dually

BDP engine build
BDP D-66
BDP/Casserly Hybrids
BDP twin pump fuel system

Hypermax Rods
Caltracs
Detroit locker
FactoryTech tranny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode