TrueTrac? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

TrueTrac?

After lots of searching and reading. It sounds like the Detroit TrueTrac is the better limited slip to drop in. The factory limited (or unlimited) slip has been replaced at least once and it still never performs as it should.

The most frustrating thing is make a right hand turn and trying to accelerate into traffic. One wheel peel-outs are not cool. I've lost a lot of tire life and it's not safe when the power isn't getting to both tires. I usually let off the throttle to stop the wheel spin, but then the tranny upshifts and starts lugging the engine.

I've added friction modifier, but I think the clutches are shot. It's open.

It's too bad I didn't do this when I bought the truck 8 1/2 years ago.

Anyway, along with the carrier, I'd replace the bearings, fresh gear oil and upgrade to the '08 cover (with the longer bolts). After that, I'll feel better about getting new tires.

Where's the best place to get/order one? It seems the best price is around $500-$525 + shipping. Some are showing a 14 day to ship date.

2000 F350 XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW, PSD, 4R100, MSOF, 3.73 TrueTrac, AIC, Gauges, DP F6 Live Tuned, Terminator T1000, AIS, ATS housing, 31-row cooler, HPX line, Magnaflow & BrakeSmart.
2006 Wildcat 31QBH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:48 PM
CtG
PSN Veteran

Re: TrueTrac?

True-Trac is a gear-type limited slip. Torsen is another brand-name for them but many people just call all gear-types Torsens (kinda like getting a Xerox)
They have the advantage of not wearing out like clutch-packs can. But they also have some quirky properties, like if there is no resistance to one tire (EG Up in the air) all the power goes to it. Simple solution though- apply light braking. Same style of LSD used in the military-issue HUMVEE and the H1.
I'd say just shop around for a good price from a reputable parts house that'll make sure you're taken care of. Summit and Jegs come to mind, but I'm sure there are more.

Family Rides-
99.5 F250 PSD SC 4x4 SD: BTS, SS 4" Exh, 6637, 6-pos chip, 4" lift, Reg. Return, FFD 160CC Single's, GTP38R, Adrenaline, Fuel Bowl Delete- 410HP/828TQ Wheel

02 Excursion 4x4 PSD: 4" DP-back w/ Aero-Turbine, Larry's Black Box, BTS
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I don't find myself in the one-wheel-in-the-air scenario that often, but thanks for the warning. I thought it may deal with it better than the factory unit.

How does it perform in sand? I take my 5'er down the beaches and climbing back out occasionally is an issue.

2000 F350 XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW, PSD, 4R100, MSOF, 3.73 TrueTrac, AIC, Gauges, DP F6 Live Tuned, Terminator T1000, AIS, ATS housing, 31-row cooler, HPX line, Magnaflow & BrakeSmart.
2006 Wildcat 31QBH

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
I've added friction modifier, but I think the clutches are shot. It's open.
friction modifier does just that it "modifies" the friction to allow for more slippage. when the clutches were replaced you could have added larger shims to thighten the whole assmbly up.

LUKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 CCLB AUT0 4X4

S&B, DI/PRICOL GAUGES, CCV, ZOODAD, TS CHIP-MATT AT GEARHEAD,
38R, ADRENALINE, SWAMP'S IDM, 4" T/B MBRP
05 CONVERSION, 4 INCH LIFT, 325/65-18 FIERCE ATTITUDE M/T
WILSON 5000 GALAXY DX66

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

When it was last done, it was under warranty and the dealer did it. It's been a few years. No wait, it's been 5 years. Crap, time flies. It was right at 36k/3yrs when they did it.

If the truetrac=factory limited slip without the headaches, it will be worth the swap. My brother is a mastertech at the dealer now so he volunteered to do the swap with/for me.

2006 Wildcat 31QBH
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:30 PM
CtG
PSN Veteran

Ask Desert Storm vets
It's only an issue with ZERO resistance. Any resistance to speak of will start back up the power multiplication process and get you moving. Thats why a light touch on the brakes will solve the problem.
Check this out. Fun article-
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Explains differentials in depth and gives a bit of info on the various types of limited slips. Great read IMHO.

Family Rides-
99.5 F250 PSD SC 4x4 SD: BTS, SS 4" Exh, 6637, 6-pos chip, 4" lift, Reg. Return, FFD 160CC Single's, GTP38R, Adrenaline, Fuel Bowl Delete- 410HP/828TQ Wheel

02 Excursion 4x4 PSD: 4" DP-back w/ Aero-Turbine, Larry's Black Box, BTS
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I know how diff's work, but I don't want buyer's remorse. It's always fun to watch the how stuff works programs.

2006 Wildcat 31QBH
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor

I went with a True Trac about 6 months ago and love mine.. Very glad I did it.. It was noticable difference to me.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:47 PM

I've got them in both front and rear axles. I think you will be happy with it. I've had mine in about 3 years now, and the only thing that's weird is driving in the snow. You really have to pay attention when driving in 4 wheel in the snow. That's probably because of the one up front. I put them in because of where I park my boat, I need 4x4 to back up through a ditch in reverse to get it parked. My clutches in my rear carrier were shot so I put a Truetrac in the rear first. About a week after doing this, I went ahead and put one in the front. I had always thought that if I could do it over again, I wouldn't put one in the front axle until I had to pull my boat trailer out of my yard one day after a good rain and had to spin all 4 tires a good way to get it out. If I had an open carrier in the front, I'd have never got it out.

One more thing....With this carrier, with the wheels off the ground, rotating a tire will get the opposite tire turning in the opposite direction, just like an open rear does. Don't be alarmed with that, when the tires are on the ground and there is any wheel speed difference, they are both locked together.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 PM
PSN Veteran

I have had my truetrac for 1 year. I love it. It, just simply, works.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode