Rods - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Busy Busy

Rods

What set of aftermarket rods can you put in w/o rebalancing the crank?

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Re: Rods

I personally wouldn't ever change the rods without rebalancing. I'm sure it's been done before, but the PSD is expensive enough that I'd rather do it right the first time.

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:49 AM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
What set of aftermarket rods can you put in w/o rebalancing the crank?
Crowers.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Technically, the big end and small end would have to be exactly the same weight as factory, and that will be hard to get. When i changed from 13:1 to 15:1 pistons, the pistons were 30 grams lighter than the old setup (which was balanced with a clutch) the guy took 10 grams off the big end of each rod, which brough it down within .01.

Stock
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 AM
A Ghost these days.

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_matt Send a message via Skype™ to mad_matt

Marty,

Just do it right and buy a core to build up and then you don't have to worry about it. Form there you can sell the old engine and re-coup your investment in the core.

Just to throw out some double talk I'd say with as heavy as everything is in our engines if things are a few grams off it won't matter like Dave says but Dennis is correct. Do it the best way to make it live longer.

Got Boost?

Slightly modded 01 F350 CC SB 4X4

Powered by Oil driven by Madness.
Post Injector upgrade Spin: 577/944
Dynojet
HP: 597 BWD Superflow
13.152 @ 104.7 mph
Mods: Everything plus the Twins.
In the mail: Everyone's stuff but my own

Planned upgrades: sho mods!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Marty i know a guy with a shop in Frederick county, MD (right near me), he had to make custom weights to get my crank to balance, he now has the stuff he needs to do it, mine was almost exact, he claimed NHRA motors require a balance factor of .2, mine was .01, near perfect. Made me happy :)

Stock
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 AM
green member

Sets of stock forged rods can be as much as 25g different on the small end....ask me how me and my machine shop know. Don't buy "matched" sets off ebay!

With the stock rods having that big of weight descrepencies between sets I would balance ANY rotating assembly in a PSD!!

Any body need a set of worked forged rods that won't balance without removing 25 and 26 grams off 2 of the rods small ends?

2001 F-250 handshaker
Stealth HPOPs
Alliant ACs
Forged rods with other junk to make it work

Thanks to TDP, BDP, RDS, PHP and TDGrp
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 AM
A Ghost these days.

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_matt Send a message via Skype™ to mad_matt

Where in fredneck? I talked to a few shops that deal with diesels up there. Would you mind sharing the name. I have a few stockers that might need a re-build.

Got Boost?

Slightly modded 01 F350 CC SB 4X4