ZF6 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
This We'll Defend

Send a message via Yahoo to texasmedic01
ZF6

Is there a company out there that makes an Aftermarket ZF6 transmission Like a bulit tranny from Suncoast or an ATS? I know this might seem like a stupid question but to quote Mr. Garrison off of South Park...."There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." I just happen to be one of those people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 RACE FOR THE WARRIORS co-founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks everyone for the support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99
Re: ZF6

ummm as i understand it the ZF6 is really pretty strong.. a good clutch and she will pretty much take anything you can throw at it... what are you looking to do that you would need a stronger tranny?

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
This We'll Defend

Send a message via Yahoo to texasmedic01

Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck_early99 View Post
ummm as i understand it the ZF6 is really pretty strong.. a good clutch and she will pretty much take anything you can throw at it... what are you looking to do that you would need a stronger tranny?
Its my plans for in the future. After my next tour in Iraq I want to buy a King Ranch and have a ZF6 installed. I know its going to cost more than what most people think its worth, but Im plan on building my next truck to what I exactly want no matter how long, or what it might cost. I should be sitting really pretty right before I get out of the army.

2010 RACE FOR THE WARRIORS co-founder

Thanks everyone for the support!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

Thats cool... I still think they are pretty bullet proof but im sure theres some where that will make one even stronger..

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Pulling sled for hire

They are pretty much bullet proof. I know at least Bean is putting almost 800 hp through it, I think an output shaft is the only problem he's had.

Justin

Justin

'97 F-250 - 255k
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Mod H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, live tuned by Jonathan @ BDP.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

High HP Duramax guys are having input and output shaft issues, but like mentioned earlier thats in the 800hp range.

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

I can understand wanting exactly what you have in mind. I am very stubborn when it comes to stuff like that myself.

However, having run a manual tranny behind a 7.3 for over a decade now, including everything from 180 or so hp to over 540 hp as well as now running a full manual auto I can say with a great level of confidence that you can do much, much better than the ZF6 with a 4R100

Just in case you aren't aware, I have a full manual 4R100 and it will soon be shifted with the joystick control I have already made.

I get the tactile feedback and fun factor of holding the shifter in my hand, and choosing exactly when the shifts happen but I also get an automatic transmission that can handle the power and LAST. Something the manual transmissino will NOT do. The clutch will either want to let go all the time, or if you get a clutch that will hold (multiple discs) then it will weigh too much and the shifts will be hard and the tranny syncros will die if you actually like hauling ass and shiftly quickly a lot.

Do yourself a big favor and take a look at the PCS controller for a 4R100.

Trust me. Please, take a look, because I am not a moron, I am not retarded, and I have run the manual for a LONG time, and am one of those people that cannot STAND a full auto transmission, yet I LOVE a full manual auto. And I have no doubt that you would too.

Even if the ZF6 would last, and the clutch would hold and it did have good clean consistent shifts and feel to it...... I would still outrun your ass with the 4R100 and have more fun banging through the gears with the joystick controlled auto.

And the kicker is that in reality, the ZF6 will never actually do all of those things. It will likely be ill-shifting and then sooner rather than later start getting grindy going in gear and then start popping out of gear, so on and so forth.

Skip that nonsense. As soon as the lockup torque converter became mainstream, manual transmissions lost their place in this world.

That's .02 from someone that's already done the manual thing. And fought tooth and nail to make it work right. It's just not a viable option. Nowhere even NEAR as much fun. Not even 50% as fun. Honestly.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Skip that nonsense. As soon as the lockup torque converter became mainstream, manual transmissions lost their place in this world.
Pretty much, this is true And look what my sig says. . .

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
PSN Newb

When you say joystick control, is that a floor type mounted shifter? B&M style type thing? What do you figure you have into your swap $$ wise?

Tim

02' F-350 Lariat DRW 6spd 4X4
Tunes
Exhaust
Intake
SB Clutch
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 AM
Wheelie Dude

Send a message via AIM to bean

They will hold just about anything you can do with a 7.3. I broke a output shaft with my cummins pullin and I think HRT broke a output as well pullin. There are aftermarket outputs available to put in them but they are pricey and a PITA to change.

CR Cummins in front of a well built 4r100 is a mack daddy. Ask Txpsd how he like his.

Smokin' Hot Hooker- 2002 F350 Dually 4x4 6spd- 5.9 CR-
BDP Drag Truck- 81 C10-5.9CR, BTS 4R, Goes Fast

Beans Diesel Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode