S400's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Power

S400's

I was hesitant to get into this. I'm no turbo expert. To find an S400 to work well for our application is not hard. Yes there are several choices. All the better to get the right one. An S400 can be had for less than a drop in BB unit depending on what your looking for. The harder part is making it fit the Hypermax kit. With a little mechanical ability it can be done.

I don't have the time or the money to develope the mounting kit. Some of you vendors are missing the boat. Has no one realized that every kit out there besides the TN uses an H2E exhaust housing to make the turbo fit. Does this seem like a limiting factor to no one else but me?

Kevin

12v CONVERSION IN PROGRESS, Special thanks to:
South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 02:09 AM
10.61 @ 128 MPH

Send a message via AIM to Powersmoker
Re: S400's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech2161 View Post
I was hesitant to get into this. I'm no turbo expert. To find an S400 to work well for our application is not hard. Yes there are several choices. All the better to get the right one. An S400 can be had for less than a drop in BB unit depending on what your looking for. The harder part is making it fit the Hypermax kit. With a little mechanical ability it can be done.

I don't have the time or the money to develope the mounting kit. Some of you vendors are missing the boat. Has no one realized that every kit out there besides the TN uses an H2E exhaust housing to make the turbo fit. Does this seem like a limiting factor to no one else but me?
I have a custom hybrid turbo that is based off the s400. Bolts to the h2e kit. You do have to modifly the driverside boost tube to make it work. It has a flange vs a boot.

I bought the turbo from swamps and it called the " big freekin hammer". 76mm

2000 F-250 Regular Cab
1069 RWHP 1768 Torque
10.55 @ 129 MPH NOS

2000 F-350 ECLB DRW
Tow Rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Murff Racing Twisted Diesel
Empire Diesel DieselSite
Swamps Diesel
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Power

And if it directly bolts to the Hypermax kit it uses an H2E exhaust housing.

Kevin

South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:45 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Powersmoker I thought that looked like an S400!

I can definately see what Kevin's saying, I didn't want to be like everyone else when I put on a turbo, and get an H2e or modded H2e. It seems like you either go the H2 route or you build your own custom mount and use whatever turbo you come up with.

S400's are pretty cheap, and even with buying a TN mount kit and a decent S400 I'm still plenty under the cost of a standard H2e kit with a lot more turbo and a much nicer mount to boot. And I have the ability to mount any T4 turbo that will fit in the valley later on, and for the S400 there are tons of options! And if I decide to go twins, I can mount a smaller S4 on the TN mount and hang a big S4 off the fender!

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:10 AM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech2161 View Post

We have been working on such a kit/adapter.

Is there really that much interest in this?

Our kit will only adapt from an H2e kit, but it will go to the big frame...

shooting for <$500...and you can bolt/unbolt quick & easy...

Dave
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Power

Dave I feel the design of the S400 exhaust housing is much better than the H2E especially for a street application. And there is no reason to modify the turbo in any way. This would be a very cost effective alternative.

Kevin

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 AM
Subject Matter Expert

I have a custom T6 mount and a 76mm compressor on mine, i think it's just straight off a detroit Series 60, looks identical to the turbo ive worked on in school. It barely fits under the cowl as it is, and the compressor cover is about 1/8" away from the head!

Stock
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Power

A T6 has to be like a 1.32 AR. Does it spool at all?

Kevin

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Um i dont really think this is going to work too well on my setup, good thing i have an automatic and really low gears... Hope it flows well though

On the red truck, it had an exhaust leak at the turbine inlet flange, and one on each side of the manifold... didn't spool till about 2800 rpm but then it was straight to 4200, time to shift and then wait another few seconds to spool again... still made 55psi with massive leak issues though

Stock
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:15 PM
10.61 @ 128 MPH

Send a message via AIM to Powersmoker

Can you post some pics of that custom t6 mount?

2000 F-250 Regular Cab
1069 RWHP 1768 Torque
10.55 @ 129 MPH NOS

2000 F-350 ECLB DRW
Tow Rig

Murff Racing Twisted Diesel
Empire Diesel DieselSite
Swamps Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode