Southbend DD - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Gregch

Southbend DD

Thinking of going to a double disc clutch when I do the built motor. What model should I go? Daily driver, I like to pull stuck stuff, I'd like to pull a sled or two... How would it compare to my CONFE? Its pretty stickey.

Gregch: 03/2000 RED F250 S/D 7.3 w/6 spd, Con-FE, F350 springs w/ Add-A-Leafs, MT 38" MTZ's, ITP reg. ret. w/bowl delete-in tank mods -AirDog100-A1000, AFE2 PG7, ZooDad, MBRP 4"SS turbo back-6"Smokers, DiPricol gauges, DP F5 w/hi idle-V-60T-80E-120R-140E, OverBoost Annihilator,HPX Flex line, CCV relo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:59 AM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever
Re: Southbend DD

Probably a 3600# with 12 ceramic buttons, It would be better than the FE for sure.

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Wheelie Dude

Send a message via AIM to bean

With what you have get a 3250# plate load 12cb. The pedal effort will be simular to a single and will not be very grabby at all.

Smokin' Hot Hooker- 2002 F350 Dually 4x4 6spd- 5.9 CR-
BDP Drag Truck- 81 C10-5.9CR, BTS 4R, Goes Fast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beans Diesel Performance

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Gregch

Thanks for the replies. I want the DD for what I will Have, not what I have now. I'll be doing a full built motor next year, thats what it will be for. I'll proobably start @ around 500 hp. Just wondering how much clutch I can go with and still daily drive it. I'm not quite as concerned with pedal pressure as I am how it releases I guess. I know what I have is quite grabby on release, and I don't know how a dd will feel. Thanks

Gregch: 03/2000 RED F250 S/D 7.3 w/6 spd, Con-FE, F350 springs w/ Add-A-Leafs, MT 38" MTZ's, ITP reg. ret. w/bowl delete-in tank mods -AirDog100-A1000, AFE2 PG7, ZooDad, MBRP 4"SS turbo back-6"Smokers, DiPricol gauges, DP F5 w/hi idle-V-60T-80E-120R-140E, OverBoost Annihilator,HPX Flex line, CCV relo
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

The concepts daily Driver, 500+hp and manual transmission don't play well together.

A single disc with extra plate load that does shift well and lets the tranny last just blows your pos plastic hydraulics to hell.

Clutch with multiple discs with minimal plate load to keep the hydraulics happy can certainly hold well, but won't shift well because of the added inertia and unfortunately kills the transmission's lifespan.

A dual disc is heavy. if the discs were identical it would be twice as heavy. The rotating weight of the input shaft including the weight of the clutch discs and flywheel is the very weight the syncronizers have to get to sync up with the speed of the output shaft as you're literally pushing the transmission into gear with the clutch depressed. The heavier it gets, the longer the shifts take, and the more the wear and tear on the syncros.

Period. Anyone that tells you a dual disc shifts fine obviously doesn't enjoy clean, quick shifts that don't feel like you just took 50% of your syncro out on each shift by just railing it on in when it doesn't want to go.

Manual trannies in Daily drivers making over 1000ft/lbs of torque are doomed.

Good Luck with that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Gregch

Thanks Charles, that's certainly food for thought. I keep on learning here.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Gregch

Now that I'm thinking, they must have a hydraulic upgrade replacement. They do for the DD, would it be the same one for a ConFE? Just to get rid of that POS plastic set up regardless of what clutch I run.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Fat Kids Rule!

Send a message via AIM to House

how many sled pulls year do you do?

Joe "House" Kupferschmid
1995 F250 7.3 2.6 zf6 Puller
2006 Chevy 3500 CC DRW LBZ, Tow Slut
SOLD:2000 F350 harvester of sorrow

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Cummins Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The concepts daily Driver, 500+hp and manual transmission don't play well together.

A single disc with extra plate load that does shift well and lets the tranny last just blows your pos plastic hydraulics to hell.

Clutch with multiple discs with minimal plate load to keep the hydraulics happy can certainly hold well, but won't shift well because of the added inertia and unfortunately kills the transmission's lifespan.

A dual disc is heavy. if the discs were identical it would be twice as heavy. The rotating weight of the input shaft including the weight of the clutch discs and flywheel is the very weight the syncronizers have to get to sync up with the speed of the output shaft as you're literally pushing the transmission into gear with the clutch depressed. The heavier it gets, the longer the shifts take, and the more the wear and tear on the syncros.

Period. Anyone that tells you a dual disc shifts fine obviously doesn't enjoy clean, quick shifts that don't feel like you just took 50% of your syncro out on each shift by just railing it on in when it doesn't want to go.

Manual trannies in Daily drivers making over 1000ft/lbs of torque are doomed.

Good Luck with that.

Charles don't be such a downer. I guess I'm an exception.

Kevin

12v CONVERSION IN PROGRESS, Special thanks to:
South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Gregch

None yet, But I am dieing to give it a try. I 'm only talking about a couple a year for fun. I'm waiting til I toughen up my drivetrain enough to not embarrasse myself. Its OK to break,but not until after a good effort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode